Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 7 Dec 2000, 22:27 (Ref:51556)   #1
Valentinik
Rookie

Valentinik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Alstare Corona team are testing a traction control system on next seasons GSX-R 750. Chili was quoted as saying that he thought it worked well and would not only lower his lap times but also preseve his tyres. Time will tell how much difference this makes but I bet if it does work every 4-stroke GP bike will have it fitted at the start of the 2002 season.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 02:41 (Ref:51581)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless someone comes along and says 'no, you can't have that' and promptly bans it.
Old 8 Dec 2000, 17:10 (Ref:51627)   #3
Valentinik
Rookie

Valentinik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt very much that the manufacturers would ban it. After all their biggest fear must be that the 4-strokes wont be able to compete with the current 2-strokes. If this situation arises it will be very tricky as the really dont want to slow the 2-strokes down or the 250's will end up being faster around tracks like Donnington. The 250's set a quicker fastest lap than the 500's at the Sachsenring this season and as a result the track is having a longer straight put in to restore the status quo.
the manufacturers have decided that 4-strokes are going to take over but they have to do it by being the fastest or the whole thing will start to look foolish.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 10:40 (Ref:51714)   #4
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It shall be very interesting to see how long it takes for 4-strokes to be quicker than 2s. And even more interesting if teh 4s are still slower after 2 years as to what will be done, but as the manufacturers are sinking millions of dollars into the new bikes I don't think it will take too long for them to at least be just as quick.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 13:22 (Ref:51724)   #5
Lazy Boy
Rookie

Lazy Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........I'll take that bet..........

And you know why... it's those black rubber things on the bottom.

They MIGHT do 10 laps as fast... then the 2 strokes will wave as they go by the now totally squirrely fat strokes... SEE YA !!!

What are we wagering?... What do I win?

As far as traction control... Didn't F1 cars ban that 15 years ago?... For good reason >>

I don't want to see computers driving cars.. or bikes... a major part of the skill it takes to ride or drive is the riders sensitivity and control of the bikes various systems to maintain control of the bike.

Will we use traction control?
And anti skid braking control?
And steering control?
And weight shift control?
And automatic trannies?

What will the rider do?
Eat donuts... and play his Playstation Game?

I prefer the software package that came out of the womb.
Old 9 Dec 2000, 17:34 (Ref:51750)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what!
Old 9 Dec 2000, 20:31 (Ref:51773)   #7
Lazy Boy
Rookie

Lazy Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who ?...
Old 9 Dec 2000, 22:12 (Ref:51787)   #8
dododo
Rookie

dododo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lazy Boy: Stop smoking that Gobert stuff
Old 10 Dec 2000, 04:36 (Ref:51829)   #9
elephino
Veteran

Lazy Boy, you are assuming that tyre technology does not improve as the new bikes come along. We don't know what Michelin and co are planning to come out with to deal with these new bikes. While I agree current tyres probably wouldn't last more than half a race even if well taken care of, it doesn't mean it will be that way in 2002 and beyond.

It's all a part of the great unknown that is out there with the new rules.

As for traction control in F1, it was banned in the early 90's actually and may be making a return very soon. Personally I don't want to see it in F1 or bike racing, but it is not up to me to decide.
Old 13 Dec 2000, 12:39 (Ref:52237)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A big resounding NO to traction control. This sound come from rider skill and the application of same not from electronic means. And I ride a road bike with ABS brakes, go figure...
Old 13 Dec 2000, 13:16 (Ref:52244)   #11
dododo
Rookie

dododo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as i'm concerned they already have traction control.
It's called a (right)hand. That should do just fine. Rossi uses it to great effect.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 10:13 (Ref:52365)   #12
elephino
Veteran

There's nothing wrong with ABS on a road bike (or car) as it is there for safety from other idiots, er, drivers on the road. It isn't necessary for racing as everyone else out there is supposed to know what they're doing.

Many racers have said it is safer on the circuit than the road.