Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3323437)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adrian Newey to leave F1 at the end of 2014?/ Newey to Ferrari? (Merged)

Rumour has it Adrian Newey has set a date to move on from F1 onto other things. That date being the end of the 2014 season.

This could well be the reason behind Newey's right hand man, Peter Prodromou's reason to leave Red Bull for McLaren. But the move has been blocked by Horner until Prodromou's contract with Red Bull is over, which just happens to be the end of 2014 as well.

Last edited by Born Racer; 24 May 2014 at 22:39.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3323453)   #2
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adrian Newey is a genius. I admire him as he was a renowned artist. On creating winning F1 cars, of course.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3323507)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Any links to this ?
Old 27 Oct 2013, 06:42 (Ref:3323509)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well known that he has an ambition to design an America's Cup yacht!
Old 27 Oct 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3323537)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Give him long service leave, second him to Americas cup, but heavens don't lose him!
Old 27 Oct 2013, 11:15 (Ref:3323598)   #6
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
That train left the station with this AC's spectacular AC72 foiling catamaran/wing sail design. Anything he'd do in the future would likely be "me too."

That being said, I'd sure be interested to see what he'd turn out, given a blank sheet of paper, an unlimited budget, and three years.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3323600)   #7
AS1924
Rookie

AS1924 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgms320 View Post
That train left the station with this AC's spectacular AC72 foiling catamaran/wing sail design. Anything he'd do in the future would likely be "me too."

That being said, I'd sure be interested to see what he'd turn out, given a blank sheet of paper, an unlimited budget, and three years.
Would be a pity to loose one of the most creative and talented minds F1 has ever produced!
Old 27 Oct 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3323654)   #8
FIA Stewards
Rookie

Canada
FIA Stewards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One part of me wants him gone, so that F1 becomes a competitive sport, but another part will really miss him... What's the point of trying to hide it. I want him gone.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3323660)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Any links to this ?

Yes please. any links or source ? Don't see a reason for this to continue without those.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 14:29 (Ref:3323673)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just another Graham Parker, I guess......
Old 27 Oct 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3323686)   #11
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I read an interview with Adrian Newey recently in which he expressed interest in the recent America's cup and was aware of the change to 72 foot catamarans.The type of boat for the next campaign has not yet been finalised and he might have just the type of mind to spot opportunities within the technical regulations that could be usefully exploited.I would doubt that he would be able to operate immediately at the top level of design,just as a designer of 72 foot catamarans would find it a bit daunting to be given total responsibility for an F1 car.It is tempting to speculate whether Red Bull sponsorship of an America's Cup campaign might keep him within the camp and maybe allow him to contribute his ideas to the design of whatever type of boat is selected.After the spectacle in San Francisco its hard to see ballasted monohulls returning.There may also be the obstacle of tighter nationality requirements as the victorious American catamaran contained precisely one US national and debate has begun on whether this is a satisfactory state of affairs.The Cup is notionally a challenge between two yacht clubs and with more than one challenger there needs to be an elimination series.The challenging club needs to hold an annual regatta on the sea or an piece of water connected to the sea,so an Austrian challenge may be difficult.Finally,if anybody thinks there is too much political manoeuvring in motor racing,study the history of the America's Cup!
Old 27 Oct 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3323692)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Forgive me for asking this, but just how much interest is there from 'ordinary people' in the Americas Cup?
Old 27 Oct 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3323693)   #13
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wouldn't mind seeing him go somewhere in motor racing where he's not so restricted; mind you, he'd dominate there too.

It's scary to think what Newey and Baretzky could do together with a free rule book.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3323710)   #14
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Newey is a damned wizard. How many Championships does he have now? With how many different teams? I lost count years ago.

It would be sad to see him leave... but the racing would get better. I respect the hell out of Vettel's skills, but I'd like to see how he performs without a Newey crafted masterpiece.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3323786)   #15
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragger View Post
Newey is a damned wizard. How many Championships does he have now? With how many different teams? I lost count years ago.
10 Constructors championships, and 10 Drivers championships.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3323866)   #16
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is there a reason why the '15 and '16 cars couldn't be evolutions of his designs? Are there any aero changes/restrictions scheduled for the future like the engine restrictions? But we could finally see what Newey's cars could do with a functioning (cooled) KERS unit. It seems like Red Bull is running with KERS like Audi is with the R18, it works and adds some boost but even when it fails they are still in front of the field. I don't follow F1 as close anymore, no cable so no Speed/NBCSN the past couple years, but it seems like Webber has a KERS problem every 3rd race.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3324420)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Adrian Newey is a genius. I admire him as he was a renowned artist. On creating winning F1 cars, of course.
Not only F1 cars but he worked for March Engineering on their Indy Car project in the mid '80s, designing the March 84C - 86C cars, wining the Indy 500 4 times in a row, from '84 - '87, as well as the Constructor's Cup in the same years.

I don't think he's ever been involved in endurance racing, so I wonder if Le Mans beckons?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3324422)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Just another Graham Parker, I guess......
It might just need that heat treatment.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3324426)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

I don't think he's ever been involved in endurance racing, so I wonder if Le Mans beckons?
There's an interest, clearly.... Unfinished business?

Old 28 Oct 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3324460)   #20
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Not only F1 cars but he worked for March Engineering on their Indy Car project in the mid '80s, designing the March 84C - 86C cars, wining the Indy 500 4 times in a row, from '84 - '87, as well as the Constructor's Cup in the same years.

Following Webber to Porsche?!
Old 28 Oct 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3324474)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Following Webber to Porsche?!
Webber will have a head start, by a season, so he'll be able to give Newey all the feedback he needs from the driver's perspective. You can see the plot unraveling, .
Old 28 Oct 2013, 22:28 (Ref:3324476)   #22
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
There's an interest, clearly.... Unfinished business?

I think there's definitely a possibility. I simply cannot see him going to any form of stock or touring cars; he probably wouldn't want to lower himself to something so low-tech for his standards. And if he's out of F1, he's probably out of open-wheel racing.

So that leaves sportscars, a different technical challenge altogether. Most likely he'd choose to work on the top tier of the class, that being LMP1. Perhaps following Webber to Porsche isn't such a bad idea after all?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 01:17 (Ref:3324531)   #23
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think back to why he let McLaren and part of it was needing a new challenge but a big part of it was the travel and the demand on his time.

Depending who he went to work for next I imagine it would have to allow him loads of time at home in the UK where he can do what he wants include race his historics etc....and still challenge him.

Sportscar fits the bill..but so does an America's Cup entry. Be very interesting to see who he woudl go to work for ... Austria enter a Red Bull sponsored event just to give the big middle finger to all the established folk? I doubt it as the budget they throw at those boats is equal to a leading F1 team.

So...would be great if he jumped on board a new sportscar entry by Jag, Aston Martin, Bentley...one of the great marques wanting to go back up against Porsche/Audi etc
Old 29 Oct 2013, 01:52 (Ref:3324541)   #24
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan have been speaking openly about a return to LM in 2015,.....

The timing could be right,...
Old 29 Oct 2013, 02:25 (Ref:3324554)   #25
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really, it takes a year to design a car