Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 11 Mar 2003, 17:40 (Ref:532920)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More weight added to GTS in Grand Am?

I was just watching a tape from Homestead and during the race it was mentioned that one of the Corvettes that was challenging the DPs for the lead was doing well "in particular because of the 50 lbs of added weight the car recieved earlier in the week".

Is this confirmed for all the GTS entries? If so, it makes the DP's pace yet more sad. Is taking a tire away and making GTS run on only three wheels that far away?
Old 11 Mar 2003, 19:33 (Ref:533107)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I heard that, and it really surprised me to, but I think the DP's are bound to get better and faster. As it stands right now, a GT class Porsche can beat a DP for half the money and thats not good for the future of the DP cars.

Stay with it though, and I think things will get better. They have to, or they won't survive!

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Mar 2003, 19:42 (Ref:533118)   #3
H16
Racer

Well, I am not Grand Am's biggest supporter, but it just seems unwise some of the things they have done in the last year. OK, go in a different direction, that doesn't mean that you eliminate half the classes or render them useless in one year.

I'll hand it to the 35 Corvette, it was a good looking car that flew. Those pit stops were laughable if it weren't so dangerous. Did you see all that fuel spill out?

That Pichio is a dangerous car, from what I can tell. The design in the radiators would mean that it is pushed right in front of the driver's feet. Could get ugly.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 20:49 (Ref:533162)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't understand Grand Am. They seem determined to mess around with classes until a GT Porsche is winning everything. After all, a f***-up that monumental can't be an accident, can it? Can it??
Old 11 Mar 2003, 21:33 (Ref:533195)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was indeed accidental. This is a series that's most definitly being run by circus clowns!
Old 11 Mar 2003, 22:03 (Ref:533233)   #6
H16
Racer

I hate to keep beating a dead horse in this case, but I wonder, looking back on the tape, if Grand Am was trying to give us the sense that these cars had somehow made a big leap since Daytona. OK, GTS was still quicker and had the Corvette had any kind of modern pit equipment, would have won, but DPs outqualified them and ran decent.

Everyone keeps saying "These cars will get faster", but how much faster can a car get if it's baseline engine is the GT3RS Porsche boxter six and it's aerodynamics are strictly limited.

Your going to see Daytona Protoypes gain tenths of a second, not seconds, in my opinion.

If they run 1:44 or so at Daytona next year, I'll be the first one to say this was in error but I can't buy the "they will get x-amount quicker in no time" thing.