Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Oct 2023, 12:39 (Ref:4181256)   #2776
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Not in the public domain because the information in there is not for public consumption or...?
Old 13 Oct 2023, 12:48 (Ref:4181258)   #2777
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Not in the public domain because the information in there is not for public consumption or...?
Because that is the method through which technical matters are distributed to those who need to know (the entrants).

It is a controlled system used to ensure the integrity and non-repudiation of the information.
Old 13 Oct 2023, 14:36 (Ref:4181273)   #2778
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Because that is the method through which technical matters are distributed to those who need to know (the entrants).

It is a controlled system used to ensure the integrity and non-repudiation of the information.
I always found this aspect of the BTCC rules and regs interesting (and frustrating). A semi-secret way of doing performance balancing, to which the only way the public gets to hear is when Tim Harvey suddenly lets a snippet of info leak out during a broadcast where all of a sudden its not "secret information" at all and is able to be released to the public. Its just bizarre... If Tim can say it live on air, is it confidential info then or not?
Old 13 Oct 2023, 16:02 (Ref:4181288)   #2779
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I always found this aspect of the BTCC rules and regs interesting (and frustrating). A semi-secret way of doing performance balancing, to which the only way the public gets to hear is when Tim Harvey suddenly lets a snippet of info leak out during a broadcast where all of a sudden its not "secret information" at all and is able to be released to the public. Its just bizarre... If Tim can say it live on air, is it confidential info then or not?

Possibly because TOCA/Gow want him to mention it, for whatever reason they may have. I feel fairly certain that he wouldn't do so off his own back; I would imagine that he enjoys his ITV job, and wouldn't want to lose it because of loose lips.
Old 13 Oct 2023, 16:34 (Ref:4181295)   #2780
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Possibly because TOCA/Gow want him to mention it, for whatever reason they may have. I feel fairly certain that he wouldn't do so off his own back; I would imagine that he enjoys his ITV job, and wouldn't want to lose it because of loose lips.
Didn't stop him getting stuck into the officials on TV at Donington!
Old 16 Oct 2023, 07:42 (Ref:4181699)   #2781
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I just don’t see why all this needs to be secret. If other series can declare publicly it’s performance balancing why can’t the btcc?
Old 19 Nov 2023, 11:19 (Ref:4186487)   #2782
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzU323Ef6g

Dick says "but the regulations change quite often to not help us"
Old 19 Nov 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4186492)   #2783
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post

You've chosen to highlight what was nothing more than a throw away comment (which I expect any team boss would do), but have ignored his running theme throughout the video that TOCA does regulate to try to equalise all the grid to give close as possible racing.

He even mentioned how close the BMW and 3 other make of car were at Silverstone this year; and Silverstone is a pretty neutral track, and does tend to demonstrate how equalised all the cars are in the right hands.
Old 19 Nov 2023, 13:44 (Ref:4186494)   #2784
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
TOCA need to become better at not doing too much. Equalising doesn’t always make better racing. Sometimes you need to have different strengths of cars
Old 19 Nov 2023, 17:58 (Ref:4186507)   #2785
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
TOCA need to become better at not doing too much. Equalising doesn’t always make better racing. Sometimes you need to have different strengths of cars
I suspect they are. When was the last major adjustment outside of new to the series Motors?
Old 20 Nov 2023, 12:48 (Ref:4186593)   #2786
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post

In relation to the 50-50 weight distribution, which has recently been affected by the hybrid, leading to WSR's cars being 1 to 1.5% out from the ideal. Dick now plans to get back to a 50-50 weight distribution.

What point were you trying to make...?
Old 20 Nov 2023, 14:08 (Ref:4186601)   #2787
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
BMW and WSR did quite well with that car this season, making the most of tracks that suited it and enough development saw it still competitive
Old 20 Nov 2023, 14:20 (Ref:4186606)   #2788
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Abbott View Post
In relation to the 50-50 weight distribution, which has recently been affected by the hybrid, leading to WSR's cars being 1 to 1.5% out from the ideal. Dick now plans to get back to a 50-50 weight distribution.

What point were you trying to make...?
If I recall correctly one of the performance degrading measures imposed on the beemer was that it had to have the ballast box moved further forwards (I think). My guess is that they are trying to lose some weight over the front axle.
Old 20 Nov 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4186609)   #2789
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If I recall correctly one of the performance degrading measures imposed on the beemer was that it had to have the ballast box moved further forwards (I think). My guess is that they are trying to lose some weight over the front axle.
When the most recent CoG adjustments were made - the Subaru had weight added to the bulkhead, but the BMWs opted to increase ride height - retaining the 50/50 weight distribution.
Old 20 Nov 2023, 14:41 (Ref:4186611)   #2790
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
When the most recent CoG adjustments were made - the Subaru had weight added to the bulkhead, but the BMWs opted to increase ride height - retaining the 50/50 weight distribution.
Although someone commented that the raised ride height is no longer a thing for the BMW…?
Old 20 Nov 2023, 14:44 (Ref:4186613)   #2791
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Although someone commented that the raised ride height is no longer a thing for the BMW…?
no its not and nor is the ballast box since hybrid
Old 20 Nov 2023, 15:23 (Ref:4186621)   #2792
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
no its not and nor is the ballast box since hybrid
But the hybrid gubbins replaced the ballast box…?
Old 20 Nov 2023, 16:10 (Ref:4186639)   #2793
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But the hybrid gubbins replaced the ballast box…?
yes
Old 20 Nov 2023, 16:15 (Ref:4186640)   #2794
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
yes
So the placement of it is still open to change (potentially)?
Old 20 Nov 2023, 16:33 (Ref:4186642)   #2795
S griffin
Veteran

I would guess it could leave it open to change
Old 20 Nov 2023, 20:14 (Ref:4186683)   #2796
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
So the placement of it is still open to change (potentially)?
no
all cars have the hybrid battery in the same place

Last edited by touring fan01; 20 Nov 2023 at 20:43.