Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 9 Mar 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4146462)   #1
tocatrucky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GPL in 2023

Worth the effort in hunting down and seeing if it runs? Many many happy memories hotlapping Wakins Glen and Solitude as a teen 20 years ago on my WinXP machine chasing leaderboard tables.

How does it stand up in todays iracing world? I have zero interest in onine hence condidering GPL once again.
Old 9 Mar 2023, 16:35 (Ref:4146481)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The simple fact is that it's still the best. Always has been. I confess I've not driven it (or anything else) for over a year, but when I get my steering wheel out again, it'll be GPL that I will drive....
Old 10 Mar 2023, 11:30 (Ref:4146579)   #3
tocatrucky
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The simple fact is that it's still the best. Always has been. I confess I've not driven it (or anything else) for over a year, but when I get my steering wheel out again, it'll be GPL that I will drive....
Is it much of a faff to run in Win11 now? I tried in 7 and gave up as couple get much better than 24fps at the time compatibility issues were rift across peripherals.
Old 10 Mar 2023, 13:25 (Ref:4146598)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I confess I've not tried it on my current Win11 computer. But it ran fine on 10.
Old 12 Mar 2023, 22:44 (Ref:4146845)   #5
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do any of you gentlemen race in online leagues?
Old 13 Mar 2023, 12:52 (Ref:4146908)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not for many years now. But I was a Ten Tenths Friendly Racing League Champion.....

Historical context......

https://www.tentenths.com/forum/show...ghlight=league

Over 20 years ago. Extraordinary......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Mar 2023 at 13:10.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4146935)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Not the same as GPL of course, but you can now drive the Honda RA272 in GT7, which is quite fun.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 21:52 (Ref:4146970)   #8
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Not for many years now. But I was a Ten Tenths Friendly Racing League Champion.....

Historical context......

I race in the oAo league, still good grids. I say I race, I run on the same track as some incredible GPL aliens. It's incredible just how fast they are, they've unlocked some secrets or I'm extremely bad.

https://sites.pitt.edu/~kniaz/oAo_fr...e/oAo_new.html

Anyway, forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir here (and I suspect I am), since the demise of the incredible GPL resource that is SRMZ, we've now got these resource in case you're unaware of them:

https://gpladdons.the-fastlane.co.uk....php?page=list

http://gplaltern.gplracer.eu/
Old 14 Mar 2023, 11:05 (Ref:4147004)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I confess I'm not really 'up to speed' with developments any more.

What is your GPLRank (if that still exists)? I can't check mine as it's undergoing maintenance from the look of things. I think I was -34 or something like that. Our member Pirenzo attained quite a high rank, I believe, something in the -70's?
Old 14 Mar 2023, 16:47 (Ref:4147044)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Historical context......

I can't believe it is 20 years ago I have some happy memories of those race (I was pretty rubbish IIRC).

I don't have a wheel or PC anymore but if did I think I would run GPL just for old times. It good to see that the game is still going however Sim Racing has come a long way since then with the likes of iRacing, ACC etc
Old 14 Mar 2023, 19:12 (Ref:4147070)   #11
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
I confess I'm not really 'up to speed' with developments any more.

What is your GPLRank (if that still exists)? I can't check mine as it's undergoing maintenance from the look of things. I think I was -34 or something like that. Our member Pirenzo attained quite a high rank, I believe, something in the -70's?
GPLRank does exist but believe it or not, I've never bothered with it in the 20yrs or so I've been playing GPL on and off. Until joining leagues, I tended to just aim to beat the benchmark times in private.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to bring you up to speed. So much has gone on but I hope you've sampled the 'recent' Spa and Monza track updates at least. Incredible work.
Old 14 Mar 2023, 22:49 (Ref:4147093)   #12
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
GPLRank does exist but believe it or not, I've never bothered with it in the 20yrs or so I've been playing GPL on and off. Until joining leagues, I tended to just aim to beat the benchmark times in private.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to bring you up to speed. So much has gone on but I hope you've sampled the 'recent' Spa and Monza track updates at least. Incredible work.
Spa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9Y8rgp9N4

Monza
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTsW2uXgYY4
Old 10 Jul 2023, 07:47 (Ref:4167692)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I confess I've not tried it on my current Win11 computer. But it ran fine on 10.
Well, I finally got my wheel and pedals out again and set up GPL from the all in one installer. I have Win11 and it works absolutely fine. No tinkering at all. Wheel and pedals feel even better than before. I ran half a dozen laps at Monza last evening and got down to a reasonable low 1:29's (I've done 27's - albeit 6 years ago and my PB was set an astonishing 20 years ago!) but did a few laps this morning and couldn't get below a 31. Then I realised I had it on the default GP setting with a full fuel load. I wondered why I had to brake so early into the Parabolica!

By the way, GPLRank is down. But it is hoped to resurrect it. There is a new forum which is also trying to carry on after SRMZ died.

http://gplaltern.gplracer.eu/index.php

My aim is to have a serious go at the Nurburgring again. Although I'm negative there in all the cars my times are poor and my -35 GPL Rank suffers as a result. I still have my GPL Ranks copied from when it was up and there is also this which helps -

http://gplaltern.gplracer.eu/showthr...d=2549#pid2549

I'm not planning on doing any online racing though.
Old 19 Jul 2023, 20:21 (Ref:4169113)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I may be slow these days, but I can still beat the AI at Monza - even starting from 13th on the grid. (I only did one lap in practice).
Attached Thumbnails
Monza-190723.jpg  
Old 22 Jul 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4169402)   #15
cg7aa
Veteran

[QUOTE=Aysedasi;4167692]...my PB was set an astonishing 20 years ago!) ...[/QUOTE

Join the club! I love how we go away from GPL but we're always pulled back in. It's a testament to the folks who designed and built GPL that 25yrs later, it still runs on the latest systems (ok some tinkering might be needed on some systems but still!) That's what I call good design or maybe sheer luck?

Love your passion for GPL by the way Aysedasi.
Old 22 Jul 2023, 12:08 (Ref:4169403)   #16
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Well, I may be slow these days, but I can still beat the AI at Monza - even starting from 13th on the grid. (I only did one lap in practice).
Nice one. You might think you're slow but there are plenty of folks you could dice with online and have a blast doing so.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 08:11 (Ref:4169509)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeah, thinking about it..... It would be quite nice to get the TTFRL going again......