Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 23 Jun 2023, 14:24 (Ref:4165125)   #576
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You’d think they’d compensate the owner.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 15:28 (Ref:4165129)   #577
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You’d think they’d compensate the owner.
Better than the Cruze? Newer at least
Old 23 Jun 2023, 20:59 (Ref:4165154)   #578
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Penske got a delivery after the 500 win
Old 29 Jun 2023, 04:52 (Ref:4165815)   #579
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Penske got a delivery after the 500 win

I wasn't aware that there was still a connection with Penske/Miller.

I was going through photos with a neighbor yesterday, taken at Road America circa 1984. Penske car in red/white Miller livery but I couldn't identify the year or the driver. Did Penske have Miller sponsorship prior to Sullivan in 1985? Who was the sponsor on Al Unser's car in 1983-4?
Old 29 Jun 2023, 13:01 (Ref:4165836)   #580
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
I wasn't aware that there was still a connection with Penske/Miller.

I was going through photos with a neighbor yesterday, taken at Road America circa 1984. Penske car in red/white Miller livery but I couldn't identify the year or the driver. Did Penske have Miller sponsorship prior to Sullivan in 1985? Who was the sponsor on Al Unser's car in 1983-4?

From what I've found scouring the interweb, Penske had a bright yellow livery for both Rick Mears and Al Unser in 1983. Mears' car had Pennzoil on the side pode and Unser had Hertz.

Al Unser

In '84 a red and white Miller livery appeared on Al Unser's car though it is different from the one that was on Danny Sullivan's car.
Old 29 Jun 2023, 16:49 (Ref:4165853)   #581
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe they are a partner product with likely stickers rather than full livery funding. The parent SAB Miller Coors appears to have pulled back much of their old money, think they no longer do a full season Lite car and don't remember a Coors Light car in Cup
Old 29 Jun 2023, 17:35 (Ref:4165857)   #582
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I believe they are a partner product with likely stickers rather than full livery funding. The parent SAB Miller Coors appears to have pulled back much of their old money, think they no longer do a full season Lite car and don't remember a Coors Light car in Cup

The parent company, as of 2016, is Molson Coors or Molson Coors Beverage Company. Molson Coors acquired full ownership of the Miller brand portfolio from SABMiller, after Anheuser-Busch Inbev announced that it had reached agreement to acquire SABMiller in September 2015. From what I've read, Miller Lite haven't been involved in motorsport sponsorship since they stopped sponsoring the Brad Keselowski, Team Penske Cup car, after the 2020 Coca-Cola 600.
Old 30 Jun 2023, 07:11 (Ref:4165910)   #583
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
From what I've found scouring the interweb, Penske had a bright yellow livery for both Rick Mears and Al Unser in 1983. Mears' car had Pennzoil on the side pode and Unser had Hertz.

Al Unser

In '84 a red and white Miller livery appeared on Al Unser's car though it is different from the one that was on Danny Sullivan's car.

Thanks. I wish I had taken a picture of his photo now. I didn't remember Unser having Miller sponsorship in 1984 but the pictured car doesn't look like the one in the photo that the neighbor has. This was the era when Penske had their own cars and March. The other odd thing about the neighbor's photo is that it appears that Paul Newman is leaning over the car talking to the driver. Unser and Sullivan both drove for Newman in the Can Am series but it seems a bit odd for a former team owner to be talking to a driver with the car in pit lane, especially a Penske driver.

Sorry for not providing the photo in question. At the time I thought it would be easy to pin down the driver and the year.
Old 30 Jun 2023, 18:16 (Ref:4165990)   #584
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Thanks. I wish I had taken a picture of his photo now. I didn't remember Unser having Miller sponsorship in 1984 but the pictured car doesn't look like the one in the photo that the neighbor has. This was the era when Penske had their own cars and March. The other odd thing about the neighbor's photo is that it appears that Paul Newman is leaning over the car talking to the driver. Unser and Sullivan both drove for Newman in the Can Am series but it seems a bit odd for a former team owner to be talking to a driver with the car in pit lane, especially a Penske driver.

Sorry for not providing the photo in question. At the time I thought it would be easy to pin down the driver and the year.

Any chance of getting hold of that from your neighbour?

I came across this photo from Getty Images, of Paul Newman leaning over the car talking to the driver but this was taken in 1981 at the Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race of that year, which was a charity race held at Long Beach the day before the Toyota GP.

Old 5 Jul 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4166828)   #585
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Molson Coors is still a minor sponsor of Team Penske.

Cindric drove a Keystone Light car at North Wilkesboro.
Old 5 Jul 2023, 14:40 (Ref:4166831)   #586
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Molson Coors is still a minor sponsor of Team Penske.

Cindric drove a Keystone Light car at North Wilkesboro.

On the Team Penske website under Partners, Molson Coors are listed on the left had column as a 30+ years sponsor.

https://www.teampenske.com/sponsors/...dycar_Sponsors
Old 30 Jul 2023, 21:43 (Ref:4170710)   #587
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not this years race but great news story about fan interest 40 years ago. Looks like a Sebring!