Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 May 2002, 19:59 (Ref:296691)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes a nice change for a respected sportscar driver to be given a go in F1. Normally Sportscars are viewed as the step up or step down. There are quite a few Sportscar drivers around that could possibly show the Shoemaker bros a thing or too about real race cars. (Although elder bro did do quite well in his year of training with Mercedes)

But I do hope Alan returns to a topline drive at Le Mans or Daytona soon.

Simon
Old 24 May 2002, 19:12 (Ref:296692)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it is the moment practice starts, all the promises are on show. Wednesday evening is the best as teams try for times then, Thursday is normally race set ups.

Although grid positions are somewhat by the way in a 24hr race everyone wants to be fastest, as a race driver should.

Then the Friday, walk around the pits and seeing the cars.

The actual start and first hour are good racing but it seems more a race when they settle into their groove which brings the second best, Tetre Rouge at dusk, seeing the brakes glow red and the noise as they head off down the straight.

Simon
Old 24 May 2002, 12:20 (Ref:296693)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
russfeld

what are we talking here though?

"race cars" or "grand prix cars"?

subtle difference
In my view, there have been no race cars in F1 for a number of years.........
Old 26 May 2002, 15:50 (Ref:296694)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is a excellent idea for a thread Fab and I would have suggested a separate one, however, as I'm rather late on parade and you've all got going on it, I'll adjust the title of the thread so people know where to look. (Oh, and thanks for the diversion from the F1 racing? nonsense!).

My favourite moment?

Well aside from saying all of it , there are two main moments for me:-

1. On the tribunes for the driver parade and the build-up to the race, the babbling commentary (which I struggle to understand), the quest to get as many pics of drivers and cars as I can, listening to the excitement on Radio Le Mans (Mr. Truswell and Mr. Titchmarsh in particular), feeling the sun burn into the back of my neck (hopefully). Then, after the cars have headed off on that final "parade" lap, with the helicopters charting their progress around the track - the suspense and the tangible excitement in the crowd until the cars burst into sight around the Ford Chicane and Le Mans is off again for another year. Just absolutely fantastic!!

2. As for the second - it's quite simple. The night. All of it. Absolutely magical.

There you are. If you still not going after reading this - shame on you!!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 26 May 2002 at 15:53.
Old 24 May 2002, 04:44 (Ref:296695)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heh real race cars? Considering a sportscar (and I love em to death) only does F3000 lap times, its a stretch to look down on the performance of a Grand Prix car
Old 24 May 2002, 13:33 (Ref:296696)   #6
Russfeld
Veteran

Do you guys actually watch racing then? An F1 car the ultimate racing car. Its level of performance is staggering
Old 24 May 2002, 14:07 (Ref:296697)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

oh i agree, sportscars is better visually. But give me a lap in a Ferrari F1 car over a 333sp or 550GT any day
Old 24 May 2002, 07:53 (Ref:296698)   #8
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmm ... proper prototypes

Old 24 May 2002, 13:53 (Ref:296699)   #9
Banks
Rookie

Banks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Russfeld, F1 performance is staggering , most of them stagger around playing follow the leader for near on two hours (if they last that long) only overtake via a pitstop and then those that are left draw lots over who will take the chequered flag first !

Outright speed or performance doesn't mean entertainment - Value for money sportscars win handsdown. ( I have been to hundreds of meetings covering both categories and I know where my vote lies)
Old 24 May 2002, 14:25 (Ref:296700)   #10
Banks
Rookie

Banks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends who is driving it Russfeld.
Several years back at a porsche track day (late eighties) I was privileged enough to sit 'shotgun' alongside a certain Mr D. Bell in a 962 at Brands and he frightened the life out of me for two laps with one hand on the wheel.
(when do you plan taking your F1 Ferrari out?)
I am not trying to have a dig at you -I am just saying that you or I would probably be just as scared in any of them providing the right driver was doing the pedaling.
Old 23 May 2002, 12:03 (Ref:296701)   #11
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What GP??

Ooooohhh, that GP .... yawn!

FG
Old 24 May 2002, 06:13 (Ref:296702)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
allan...when he used to drive PROPER cars!
Hey, wonderful picture, kdr !!! I'd love to have it as a wallpaper... did you take it yourself ? Ah, stupid question, I'm sure you did... by chance, have you it high def ? And.... hum, hum , could I imagine you'd post it to me... (hush, nobody's watching... discretely, mmm ?)
Old 24 May 2002, 14:06 (Ref:296703)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Help mister Moderator ! Lets stay on our favourite subject !

No problem of loving F1... was just kidding, mmm ?

Did I use the "F1" term before, was I ? Ok, I return in my ...

Old 24 May 2002, 14:11 (Ref:296704)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
oh i agree, sportscars is better visually. But give me a lap in a Ferrari F1 car over a 333sp or 550GT any day
On this point, anybody seen the test made by Mercedes between four cars on a lap, including a serie car, a DTM car and a F1 ? Funny race !

No sport car (it flew away )

Sincerely, is there a debate ? No question about performances... just interressed by the race, even if it's a 2CV race (hum...). There's a very good F1 forum not by Ten-Tenths... mmm ?

Well, seems turning not fun... I'm leaving...
Old 24 May 2002, 15:13 (Ref:296705)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
i still know where my votes lies...eh fab
That's another nice one ! I can't match it ...

Changing of subject (Ayse, is this worth for a new thread ? I dunno...), what's your favourite moment about LM :
- the entering in the circuit the PQ sunday ?
- the first sound of an engine, at PQ day ?
- arrival of tickets at home ?
- the minute you enter the circuit during THE week ?
- the start of serious things, wednesday night qualification ?
- the start of the "great day", with first warm up sound ?
- the start of starting procedure, with cavalcades and so on ?
- the start of warming lap ?
- the start of the race (with the music, Star Wars style, and the safety car vanishing) ?
- the Shampoo bar hour, starting the night ?
- the evening meal, wherever you take it - for me, the Brasserie with a Jarret de Porc ?
- the morning coffee at 6 between Welcome and Grand Marnier desk ?
- the arrival - cups and everything ?
- your mother in law offering the ACO annual at Christmas ? (I've already bought it !)
- less than six months, and counting ? (closer from the next than from the last !)

I can say the worth : sunday, leaving the track !!!
Old 24 May 2002, 15:26 (Ref:296706)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
this is definately another thread...but i'll go first sound of an engine at pq
I was not sure it could be interresting for anyone...

Well, imagine, 8h30 on first sunday of May, in the silence, and suddenly a "vroap", often a Porsche... really something !

I had a good moment two years ago, beeing at the track few days before PQ, and there was two Lola Rafannelli out in the pit lane... it was sunny... I spent an hour, completely alone in the afternoon, sitting in the grandstands watching those beautiful cars... what a "souvenir", like a Dome (child remembering) !
Old 23 May 2002, 13:09 (Ref:296707)   #17
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
allan...when he used to drive PROPER cars!
Old 24 May 2002, 08:53 (Ref:296708)   #18
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
russfeld

what are we talking here though?

"race cars" or "grand prix cars"?

subtle difference
Old 24 May 2002, 13:38 (Ref:296709)   #19
kdr
Veteran

steady ayse!
Old 24 May 2002, 14:21 (Ref:296710)   #20
kdr
Veteran

i still know where my votes lies...eh fab
Old 24 May 2002, 15:18 (Ref:296711)   #21
kdr
Veteran

this is definately another thread...but i'll go first sound of an engine at pq
Old 23 May 2002, 11:52 (Ref:296712)   #22
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Alan McNish

Alan is currently fastest in the GP practice- not bad for an old sportscar driver!
Old 24 May 2002, 16:59 (Ref:296713)   #23
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I love the end of the parading at the start and when the cars all leave the old formation to do the warm up lap and to form on the real grid. This is when the atmosphere changes from Fun and Games to anticipation of the serious stuff.
Old 24 May 2002, 17:57 (Ref:296714)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
...what's your favourite moment about LM :
- the entering in the circuit the PQ sunday ?
- the first sound of an engine, at PQ day ?...
Having never been to LM, I'll have to substitute ALMS:
Waking up Saturday morning, sunny. A bit hung over. Making coffee. It's about 7:30. And then you hear that first blip of the throttle echo over from down in the paddock - "WhuuUUP." I know I'm in for a good weekend.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 28 May 2002, 12:00 (Ref:298386)   #25
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oooohhh, so much to choose from.
Thursday night in the tribunes watching the stragglers trying to post a good time is a personal fave. Of course this has to be preceded by several hours intake of barbeque smoke and 33's to get the atmosphere just right. Yes, just before the start when the cars come through the Porsche curves with headlights blazing is pretty special, unmatched anywhere for me. Meeting up with a lot of mates you only see once a year at the best race in the world starts it all off on the right foot.