Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 May 2023, 06:33 (Ref:4154118)   #76
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
How about the sprint race grid being set by the reverse of the GP grid, so de Vries would have been on pole for the sprint. That should produce a bit more overtaking and you are unlikely to get the front runners from sacrificing their qually for the sprint race.
People tend to chortle at this idea but it's been raised before and bearing in mind how it would spice up 'the show' I'm actually surprised that they haven't gone for it.
Old 2 May 2023, 07:50 (Ref:4154125)   #77
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Give me 50 laps of Alonso holding off Schumacher at Imola over these meaningless DRS overtakes anyday.
Overtakes were far too difficult then, but I take your point. I remember how intense that battle was - I was gripped - and look how fondly it's remembered.
Old 2 May 2023, 07:55 (Ref:4154127)   #78
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
I found the teamwork from Alonso and Stroll very refreshing. So kudo's to them for that. "Tell Alonso I won't attack him, were on the same plan", "He can have a go if he wants", "tell Stroll my brake settings, it might help him".

You don't see that often. Often it is I need to better my teammate. To see two guys racing full on, but putting the team first is quite nice to see.

Alonso will know well the meaning of good teamwork after his Le Mans experience. I reckon he developed this there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
People tend to chortle at this idea but it's been raised before and bearing in mind how it would spice up 'the show' I'm actually surprised that they haven't gone for it.
I'm still against it, but in terms of performance balancing, it's no less ridiculous than DRS. At least if this happened without DRS, it would involve what I would awkwardly label more 'genuine' passes. It's similar to many board games - the person running last getting certain performance balancing advantages, such as first pick of a card or similar.
Old 2 May 2023, 08:46 (Ref:4154136)   #79
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I could be wrong on this but are working hours still limited per day/per race weekend?

I do believe that the curfew still applies; however, as always, teams are able to approach the race director (I think it is) to request an extension which is granted in certain circumstance, such as having to rebuild a car in the event of a significant crash.

It was brought in for a good reason because some teams had on occasion had their pit guys working pretty well for anything up to 48 hours straight without any realistic rest breaks.
Old 2 May 2023, 09:09 (Ref:4154140)   #80
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Alonso will know well the meaning of good teamwork after his Le Mans experience. I reckon he developed this there.

Feel free to call me a cynic,but I suspect he is trying to earn brownie points with Lance's dad.
Old 2 May 2023, 09:32 (Ref:4154144)   #81
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Feel free to call me a cynic,but I suspect he is trying to earn brownie points with Lance's dad.
You're probably right. He also knows which side his bread is buttered and where his next batch of brownies are coming from.
Old 2 May 2023, 09:33 (Ref:4154145)   #82
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With his performances so far this season, I wonder if he needs to?
Old 2 May 2023, 09:43 (Ref:4154147)   #83
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe he is just enjoying his swansong, and that has reduced the tension. We rarely perform well if tense; driving, I'm talking about, of course!
Old 2 May 2023, 09:43 (Ref:4154148)   #84
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Isn't this just a negative way of saying that he is working for the team - which is a good thing. Its mutually beneficial.

Stroll Jr is not quite at Alonso's level (although I suspect that he will have his days in the sun this season), so Alonso is the clear no1 driver in the team, so the drivers may as well work together.
Old 2 May 2023, 09:54 (Ref:4154150)   #85
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
How about the sprint race grid being set by the reverse of the GP grid, so de Vries would have been on pole for the sprint. That should produce a bit more overtaking and you are unlikely to get the front runners from sacrificing their qually for the sprint race.

Considering the sprint race is nothing more than a gimmick, especially with the format change, why not? I'd watch it
Old 2 May 2023, 10:01 (Ref:4154152)   #86
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Considering the sprint race is nothing more than a gimmick, especially with the format change, why not? I'd watch it

The problem is, though, a gimmick that provides points which, as we know only to well, can be extremely important at the end of the season.

I agree with you that it is a gimmick and it does not meet the true meaning of what is supposed to be a Grand Prix.
Old 2 May 2023, 10:05 (Ref:4154155)   #87
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Isn't this just a negative way of saying that he is working for the team - which is a good thing. Its mutually beneficial.

Stroll Jr is not quite at Alonso's level (although I suspect that he will have his days in the sun this season), so Alonso is the clear no1 driver in the team, so the drivers may as well work together.
That's fair enough. I mean he's not exactly currying favour with the bosses (I need to stop with these food references). He's just going further than he's gone before with that teamwork. The most cynical I will go, and I don't think you can call it too cynical, is to say that by supporting the team in this way, he may want a favour from Stroll, being let by when he's quicker for example, in a critical moment and leading by example with this kind of teamwork is one way to do that.
Old 2 May 2023, 10:17 (Ref:4154157)   #88
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The problem is, though, a gimmick that provides points which, as we know only to well, can be extremely important at the end of the season.

I agree with you that it is a gimmick and it does not meet the true meaning of what is supposed to be a Grand Prix.
Nor does a sprint race per se.
Nor does artificial DRS overtaking....
Old 2 May 2023, 10:35 (Ref:4154158)   #89
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nor does a sprint race per se.
Nor does artificial DRS overtaking....

No arguments here.
Old 2 May 2023, 10:49 (Ref:4154160)   #90
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

I understand what you are saying about the points, however, if the points system were to revert to one used in the old format, that would have less of an impact.
Old 2 May 2023, 14:13 (Ref:4154193)   #91
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Toto didn't think much of the race - wonder what he'd give it on our 10/10 "rate the race" thread?

Wow. What a hypocrite! Why didn't he complain about the boring racing in the 2018 to 2020 seasons?
Old 2 May 2023, 21:44 (Ref:4154263)   #92
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Wow. What a hypocrite! Why didn't he complain about the boring racing in the 2018 to 2020 seasons?
Let's be honest, it was 80% of races between 2014-20. Rosberg v Hamilton and pre-Hockhenheim Seb kept it from being completely dull seven seasons.
Old 5 May 2023, 11:13 (Ref:4154580)   #93
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
While I was sitting in a traffic jam earlier I pondered the matter of sprint races.I thought the example in Baku was a gimmick,devoid of redeeming features.I understand that Liberty are trying to attract more attention for more hours of the weekend and they have bought the rights to exploit the series,so are free to experiment.

My suggestion would be to hold the sprint race on the Friday and limit it to one car per team.This would mean at least one car would need no overnight rebuild as a result of the damage from the sprint race.
I would limit the choice of drivers to those who are the team's official reserve or those who have the superlicence points to be able to race in Formula 1.Which would get the young hopefuls on the track as well as those trying to resurrect their careers,for example Mick Schumacher or Antonio Giovanazzi.

Any thoughts?
Old 5 May 2023, 11:25 (Ref:4154583)   #94
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
While I was sitting in a traffic jam earlier I pondered the matter of sprint races.I thought the example in Baku was a gimmick,devoid of redeeming features.I understand that Liberty are trying to attract more attention for more hours of the weekend and they have bought the rights to exploit the series,so are free to experiment.

My suggestion would be to hold the sprint race on the Friday and limit it to one car per team.This would mean at least one car would need no overnight rebuild as a result of the damage from the sprint race.
I would limit the choice of drivers to those who are the team's official reserve or those who have the superlicence points to be able to race in Formula 1.Which would get the young hopefuls on the track as well as those trying to resurrect their careers,for example Mick Schumacher or Antonio Giovanazzi.

Any thoughts?

It's an interesting idea. How would points be allocated, because I don't see this happening unless the teams get something out of it? When on Friday would it be held and would the drivers not need a practice session?