Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 May 2023, 17:12 (Ref:4154719)   #26
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ended up finding a T-Moble 5G hotspot device refurbished on Amazon for $47.63. New they're $198. Comes with a 90 day money back warranty from Amazon. T-Mobile prepaid data only plan with 50GB of high speed data is $50/Month. A SIM card package is $10. No contract prepaid was the way to go. T-Mobile seems to have great 5G coverage at Road Atlanta. I guess I'll find out this year if it works well enough to stream video in the RV. Thanks Broadrun96 for the heads up. Didn't look like it would work until I found the refurbed hotspot device. That made it affordable.

Can't say I'll be short on entertainment or comfort for the week. Besides the great action at the Petit, I'll also have the golf cart, Satellite from Dish Network and now wide band internet along with a sizable DVD/Blu Ray collection all in a 36' RV with running water and a generator. Will be watching Le Mans the movie sometime during the week. I love technology. All the comforts of home in the middle of nowhere. Any suggestions of what beverages would be ideal?
Old 10 May 2023, 16:47 (Ref:4155425)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While we're on the subject of beverages, there was full on "cooler searches" at The Mitty a couple of weekends ago. This has been an issue for the past few years with PLM, but NEVER at The Mitty, as far as I'm aware. And from people I talked to (including my brother), they literally were asking to see "in the cooler".

I don't know who we need to talk to at the track or at Hall County Government offices, but I've had enough of it. This is how I like to relax and this shyte stresses me to no end. Even heard of security guards talking about how they were going to split up the loot. I don't really know of any other racing facility that does this. If you're going to do this, at least let us purchase some inside the track in bulk. I don't even think there was an option for purchase by the can or drink inside the facility on the weekend. Won't be the same at PLM for sure but still......
Old 10 May 2023, 19:46 (Ref:4155469)   #28
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For Mitty there was one bar up by the car corrals but open for Saturday only it seems and was on site. Petit usually has a couple bars but think they're on site and insane markup crap beers.

And then there's my favorite, no alcohol allowed in but Drift is sponsored by BUD LIGHT NEXT!!!!! F off, and besides who the f actually drinks an even crappier Bud Light, never mind the Bud Light problems for other stupidity.

Also important and it was added to the UFC email for Drift this weekend, the track has been directed to enforce helmet laws on site. Sorry tin foil hat brigade it ain't NASCAR, it's lawyers and a previous injury. No helmets were being required for anything outside of motored rides, state law covers bikes, scooters, unicycles, etc. Thus the track is making it a point this year and will be adding signage and requiring it for all Georgia state law vehicles covered. Although according to the email everyone needs one since it says "Helmets required on property at all times" so i guess it's Ron White wear your helmet level of warning. Yeah, talked with Abe a bit since it seemed he needed a nice call after LOTS of anger directed at the track due to loud obnoxious fans causing HSR to reintroduce some rules and kick people out. And folks who threatened track and HSR officials for the beer rules, a few were supposedly spoken to by Hall County and threatened if you believe posts. I'm willing to believe they were drunk and Hall County told them so over threats.

And yes, it is 10000% Hall County and their enforcement. The track does not have anything to do with it and is required by contracted officers as part of their duties. Sounds like we're basically screwed as non-residents or we can vote with our feet to stay home and drink and camp in the Bacons yard
Old 11 May 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4155559)   #29
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hate to hear that they're cracking down on items being brought to the track. I wonder if they're going to start to search RVs for contraband items. Where the heck am I going to find my Burbon on Wednesday and Thursday night? Vendors are never open at the start of race week. Most don't open until Friday. Plus, whatever drinks you can buy at the track are rot gut brand at stupid high prices. I will say though, that I did partake in the Patron bar when they were sponsoring the event. Got to support the sponsors you know.
Old 11 May 2023, 20:52 (Ref:4155612)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
For Mitty there was one bar up by the car corrals but open for Saturday only it seems and was on site. Petit usually has a couple bars but think they're on site and insane markup crap beers.

And then there's my favorite, no alcohol allowed in but Drift is sponsored by BUD LIGHT NEXT!!!!! F off, and besides who the f actually drinks an even crappier Bud Light, never mind the Bud Light problems for other stupidity.

Quote:
Also important and it was added to the UFC email for Drift this weekend, the track has been directed to enforce helmet laws on site. Sorry tin foil hat brigade it ain't NASCAR, it's lawyers and a previous injury. No helmets were being required for anything outside of motored rides, state law covers bikes, scooters, unicycles, etc. Thus the track is making it a point this year and will be adding signage and requiring it for all Georgia state law vehicles covered. Although according to the email everyone needs one since it says "Helmets required on property at all times" so i guess it's Ron White wear your helmet level of warning. Yeah, talked with Abe a bit since it seemed he needed a nice call after LOTS of anger directed at the track due to loud obnoxious fans causing HSR to reintroduce some rules and kick people out. And folks who threatened track and HSR officials for the beer rules, a few were supposedly spoken to by Hall County and threatened if you believe posts. I'm willing to believe they were drunk and Hall County told them so over threats.
I don't like seatbelt laws. Someone under legal driving age in your car with no belt on? You should do 6 months in prison. Alas, I get where they're coming from but it's CYA only.

And yeah, it's not a Georgia law so they can kissmyass:
Quote:
Essentially, Georgia’s bicycle helmet law requires every biker under the age of 16 to wear an ANSI compliant helmet. If you are over 16, then you aren’t required by law to wear a helmet in Georgia
https://www.schollelaw.com/bicycle-a...cle-helmet-law

And to go off on a cycling rant for a second, if you're over 16 (in GA), you're supposed to be in the street, so every moron yelling at people to get on the sidewalk with their bike need to be slapped. And I'd like to slap college kids riding they're electric scooters on the sidewalk. Not a good idea riding something that goes upwards of 30 MPH on a walk....

Quote:
And yes, it is 10000% Hall County and their enforcement. The track does not have anything to do with it and is required by contracted officers as part of their duties. Sounds like we're basically screwed as non-residents or we can vote with our feet to stay home and drink and camp in the Bacons yard
Cops and rent-a-cops get off on any power trip they can...
Old 11 May 2023, 21:54 (Ref:4155615)   #31
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just went by his statement of why, wonder if it's a carve out in the law that allows private property to make their own rules. Cities and counties are supposed to be able to. Supposedly Decatur passed a requirement in the city for all riders, never bothered to look myself.

My favorite bike laws are in Virginia. Bike guys wanted protection under the law so the legislature passed lots of protection, bone lane funding, specific car vs bike laws, but also made them a motor vehicle, if you're of age to drive. And then bike guys got mad for tickets for speeding and riding on sidewalks.

And an old law didn't get fixed so no one in VA can actually legally ride a bike. You're required by law to signal with your arm but also keep both hands on bars at all times. And no, your electric signals don't count. Oh, yeah no agency in the Commonwealth was willing to touch that level of stupid and write a ticket
Old 12 May 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4155684)   #32
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess if the people searching coolers are already crooked enough to keep your beverages, maybe we just need to start bribing them to look the other way?
Old 12 May 2023, 13:36 (Ref:4155696)   #33
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
That's why there's always decoy cooler for food over beer cooler
Old 12 May 2023, 14:10 (Ref:4155700)   #34
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
I actually have a hidden compartment inside my MH that converts into a cooler just for this purpose. They would have to tear the MH apart to find it. Maybe I should keep a sacrificial can or two of beer in the refrigerator just so they feel like they got me. Probably Bud Lite so they don't get anything worth drinking.
Old 12 May 2023, 14:13 (Ref:4155701)   #35
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Could always use the excuse that you're an alcoholic and need your drink or it would endanger your life. Worked to keep the liquor stores open during covid.
Old 21 May 2023, 15:31 (Ref:4157187)   #36
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Getting closer now. Only 146 days to go.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 16:38 (Ref:4160066)   #37
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
RX7Mandingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got my camping passes already purchased. I feel like I'm in the minority cause I tent camp. Gonna be setting up near the bathrooms at the end of the esses. Sucks to beat about them being stricter about searching vehicles, I guess I'm reverting back to hiding my Heineken in 12pack soda boxes
Old 6 Jun 2023, 12:30 (Ref:4160206)   #38
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7Mandingo View Post
Got my camping passes already purchased. I feel like I'm in the minority cause I tent camp. Gonna be setting up near the bathrooms at the end of the esses. Sucks to beat about them being stricter about searching vehicles, I guess I'm reverting back to hiding my Heineken in 12pack soda boxes
I still need to purchase my tickets and camping pass. Every year I think I already purchased and then end up scrambling come end of summer!

I am a tent camper as well, but am lucky enough to have some space near the back of a reserved rv spot to call my own.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 13:51 (Ref:4160217)   #39
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I screw the whole thing up and tent camp in an RV spot cause I spend money wisely, and then have a tent spot as well
Old 9 Jun 2023, 12:58 (Ref:4161021)   #40
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
All of my tickets are bought and paid for. 1 reserved RV spot, 2 4-day supper tickets and a golf cart pass.

There is no substitute for having a reserved RV spot. I've been there for 25 years and love my spot (Turn 6 outside of skid pad). No worries about where I'm going to be able to setup. I know most everyone around me, and I can enter a day early to setup and enjoy the environment. I set up my easy up on the infield side of turn 10A/B area on Wed morning.

If you don't have your camping tickets by now, I'd get on it. Reserved and non-reserved RV spots are all taken. Non-reserved tent camping is the only camping ticket still available. I think this year will be a very packed. I think everyone will be excited to see the new GTP cars.

127 days and counting.
Old 11 Jun 2023, 01:23 (Ref:4162414)   #41
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
All of my tickets are bought and paid for. 1 reserved RV spot, 2 4-day supper tickets and a golf cart pass.

There is no substitute for having a reserved RV spot. I've been there for 25 years and love my spot (Turn 6 outside of skid pad). No worries about where I'm going to be able to setup. I know most everyone around me, and I can enter a day early to setup and enjoy the environment. I set up my easy up on the infield side of turn 10A/B area on Wed morning.

If you don't have your camping tickets by now, I'd get on it. Reserved and non-reserved RV spots are all taken. Non-reserved tent camping is the only camping ticket still available. I think this year will be a very packed. I think everyone will be excited to see the new GTP cars.

127 days and counting.
Took your advice and got my tickets today. Watching Le Mans is only making me more excited!
Old 11 Jun 2023, 17:02 (Ref:4163237)   #42
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Yep, I have to admit that Le Mans always makes the Petit more anticipated. Glad you got your camping spot. Not really sure how the crowd will play out this year, but I'm anticipating a more packed crowd this year.

Spent the last few days streaming video on my new Hotspot device. Ran flawlessly at Lake Lanier's Shoal Creek Campgrounds. Hopefully will have full internet while at the Petit as well.
Old 11 Jun 2023, 23:25 (Ref:4163273)   #43
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Just keep in mind Braselton is set for their usual population, add a 100k race fans and the network creeps along. Even my TMobile can bog down on busy weekends, don't expect full speed wide open all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Took your advice and got my tickets today. Watching Le Mans is only making me more excited!
Watching it made me want to make a 2-3 hour detour from Caen to Paris this summer. Just to go past and see the Bugatti circuit and maybe make the wife drive so I can be distracted.
Old 11 Jun 2023, 23:43 (Ref:4163276)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I went once the week after the race many years ago. We’d been to the race too.

The circuit was open and you could go in. It was spooky seeing it empty. There is the museum and Le Mans old town is very nice.
Old 12 Jun 2023, 03:03 (Ref:4163283)   #45
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Got my camping and 4 day passes as well. I'm gonna leave jacksonville around midnight Tuesday so I'm hoping to get there as the track is opening. Now just to start getting all my things ready and stocking up on food and drinks.
Old 12 Jun 2023, 20:21 (Ref:4163429)   #46
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
I hate nothing more than to have everything ready and packed. Than all I can do wait and wait.

Usually something comes up though that requires me to scramble to fix it. Ahhh, life with a motorhome. The more gadgets you have the more that can, and will, go wrong.
Old 12 Jun 2023, 20:25 (Ref:4163430)   #47
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Just keep in mind Braselton is set for their usual population, add a 100k race fans and the network creeps along. Even my TMobile can bog down on busy weekends, don't expect full speed wide open all the time
Not going to be dependent on T-Mobile for anything particular. I still have Dish Network for TV streaming. I'm also planning to get my hands on a Hotspot device that can handle both T-Mobile and AT&T's networks. That way I can compare services in a crowded environment. Will be interesting though to see how conditions change from Tuesday morning to Saturday evening. Usually doing nothing on Sunday morning but packing and getting ready for the ride home.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 16:16 (Ref:4163701)   #48
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Just checked T-Mobile's coverage map today and it looks like they've added additional 5G coverage to include Ultra capacity 5G in the Road Atlanta area. The black dot is where my reserved RV spot is located.

Will be interesting to see how capacity changes throughout the week. My guess is that Saturday will suck.

Maybe next year I'll give Starlink a try. Should have no issues with capacity using satellites. Looking into the Starlink system, I've found that the initial cost of Starlink equipment is not much more than the cost of a good hotspot device. The cost of data is a bit higher, but it's currently unlimited data at high speeds. Even if they change it, they're talking about a 1TB cap. Not likely I'd ever approach that. One month of service would cost about $135 and can be suspended at any time. My Dish Network bill would come in at $105 for the month so the difference wouldn't be much, and I can stream just about anything off my Xfinity account app.
Old 18 Jun 2023, 22:18 (Ref:4164530)   #49
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Well dang. I looked up some of the most recent reviews on Google and saw multiple commenting on stricter vehicle, both car and RV, searches for alcohol, including that GHP was at the gates searching as well
Old 19 Jun 2023, 00:06 (Ref:4164541)   #50
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
I guess I'll just have to find better hiding spots.