Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 May 2023, 16:19 (Ref:4158077)   #2426
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And if you consider the BMWs even now, they still have an advantage, more than usually, off the line at the start and once they hit the front, it is often very difficult to then get past them. And on the whole, at least two of their drivers still have the capability to win races provided that the team choose the right strategy.

And so far this season, as last season, only one of the Motorbase cars have been able to be consistently challenging for and winning races. So, in my opinion for what little it counts, it would be unfair to penalise the team for the driving abilities of just one of their drivers.
Old 26 May 2023, 16:22 (Ref:4158078)   #2427
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
How would it be any different to when a load of performance degrading measures were brought in for the RWD cars?
Because there so many FWD and in reality Motorbase are just flat doing a better job
Old 27 May 2023, 10:36 (Ref:4158168)   #2428
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Because there so many FWD and in reality Motorbase are just flat doing a better job
Exactly, it doesn't matter what drivetrain you've got as much as how well you develop your car. Of course the others could overtake Motorbase, they are not invulnerable
Old 27 May 2023, 18:30 (Ref:4158225)   #2429
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well, BMW had a boost reduction just before Snetterton in 2019. That certainly wasn’t a “RWD platform performance measure”.
Old 27 May 2023, 20:26 (Ref:4158240)   #2430
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, BMW had a boost reduction just before Snetterton in 2019. That certainly wasn’t a “RWD platform performance measure”.
But the point is people are getting excited about the Ford but in reality their speed traps are average at best they are just quicker - E could argue only one car of the four- around a lap, they are not blowing past cars on the straights they are just doing a good job.
Old 28 May 2023, 10:18 (Ref:4158285)   #2431
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the Ford isn't that great. I'm sure they have a decent package, but they aren't unbeatable. Their weaknesses will be shown at times. And yes they are not blowing past cars, they have to work hard to get past cars as well as everyone else
Old 28 May 2023, 18:16 (Ref:4158402)   #2432
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think the Ford isn't that great. I'm sure they have a decent package, but they aren't unbeatable. Their weaknesses will be shown at times. And yes they are not blowing past cars, they have to work hard to get past cars as well as everyone else
Agreed everyone just needs to work harder !
Old 29 May 2023, 15:33 (Ref:4158760)   #2433
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
But the point is people are getting excited about the Ford but in reality their speed traps are average at best they are just quicker - E could argue only one car of the four- around a lap, they are not blowing past cars on the straights they are just doing a good job.
My point was that BMW were penalised rightly or wrongly in 2019 because their car had “too much straight line speed”. Now you could say that this was because they had too much horsepower to begin with, but you could also say that their car has one of the best aero drag ratios of them all, so if that’s the case were they fairly penalised if the horsepower figures were correct?
Old 29 May 2023, 19:23 (Ref:4158779)   #2434
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
My point was that BMW were penalised rightly or wrongly in 2019 because their car had “too much straight line speed”. Now you could say that this was because they had too much horsepower to begin with, but you could also say that their car has one of the best aero drag ratios of them all, so if that’s the case were they fairly penalised if the horsepower figures were correct?
And it would seem the Ford doesn’t have massive straightline speed
Old 8 Jun 2023, 10:47 (Ref:4160676)   #2435
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting in Autosport this morning that they report BMW getting 'additional starting boost' while the M-Sport engines for PMR and HARD were 'given an extra 0.2 bar of power.'
Certainly helped PMR (don't think anything could boost a HARD Cupra - and if it did it's probably shake itself apart!!)
Old 8 Jun 2023, 17:40 (Ref:4160770)   #2436
SSmith
Racer

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Interesting in Autosport this morning that they report BMW getting 'additional starting boost' while the M-Sport engines for PMR and HARD were 'given an extra 0.2 bar of power.'
Certainly helped PMR (don't think anything could boost a HARD Cupra - and if it did it's probably shake itself apart!!)
In the absence of me seeing an official reason behind Thompson's retirement and then withdrawal in races 2 and 3 at Thruxton, I wonder if the CUPRA did shake itself apart!
Old 8 Jun 2023, 17:44 (Ref:4160774)   #2437
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
In the absence of me seeing an official reason behind Thompson's retirement and then withdrawal in races 2 and 3 at Thruxton, I wonder if the CUPRA did shake itself apart!
Stone through the radiator. Perhaps picked up with that slide at the start of R2.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 18:20 (Ref:4164663)   #2438
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this is more of a season-long post, so make it here.

We've seen BMW be strong this last weekend at a traditionally strong track for them, after many claiming the title was already over and can be handed to Sutton.

IMHO, we're just seeing the typical BTCC ebb and flow as we head to different circuits.

I expect that the early championship lead for Sutton and Ingram will be overturned as we move through Croft and Knockhill. Heading back to Donington we'll see a BMW 1-2, before the final visit to Brands and we have a 4-way contest for the title.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 09:43 (Ref:4165091)   #2439
S griffin
Veteran

There is still a long way to go. BMW should continue to be up there and we could see a few surprises. I don’t think we’re gonna see domination. The BMWs should go well at Croft, especially Morgan. I expect to see Toyota up there quite a few times. Knockhill could be there circuit. The Vauxhalls are going strongly, especially ATS. There could be a few in contention for the title and the final round should be fun. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a wet final
Old 23 Jun 2023, 10:02 (Ref:4165092)   #2440
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don’t think we’re gonna see domination.
The regs are designed to prevent that but it'll be the usual suspects at the front anyhow. The best drivers are in the best cars so you'd expect that group to be ahead of the rest but one driver won't run away with it.

Quote:
The BMWs should go well at Croft, especially Morgan.
Croft has typically been a good rwd circuit - interested to know why you think Morgan will be the pick of the bunch? He's not looked as quick as Turkington or Hill so far this year.

Quote:
I expect to see Toyota up there quite a few times.
The Toyota has looked ok but they seem to lack consistency - not sure if that's down to the car or the drivers? Gamble is of course lacking in fwd experience but I'm not sure Butcher has got the most out of the car so far this season and Collard appears erratic.

Quote:
The Vauxhalls are going strongly, especially ATS.
I think the Vauxhalls are going better than anyone expected, pre-season it was being viewed as pretty much end of life so the results they've got out of it are impressive.

Quote:
There could be a few in contention for the title and the final round should be fun. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a wet final
You'd expect the title to still be up for grabs at the final meeting - when was the last time it was wrapped up before then? The usual suspects will be in the hunt you'd have thought - Sutton, Cammish, Turkington, Hill and Ingram. Potentially some interesting intra team battles there - teammates taking points off each other could lead to the title heading to another team.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 10:14 (Ref:4165095)   #2441
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW should be very strong at Croft, but after that it will be a run of circuits that don't suit them.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 11:39 (Ref:4165101)   #2442
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
BMW should be very strong at Croft, but after that it will be a run of circuits that don't suit them.
I think since the track has been resurfaced a few years ago it’s not rwd dominant like it was see to be
Old 23 Jun 2023, 12:21 (Ref:4165107)   #2443
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
After that it will be Knockhill, which very much suits them.
And then the longer version of Donington with two added hairpins, which should favour them too.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 16:16 (Ref:4165131)   #2444
SSmith
Racer

The first 15 races of the BTCC season are currently available on ITV Sport's YouTube channel (limited to UK only).

On the subject of YouTube, British F4 is competing at Silverstone this weekend and can be watched as part of the BARC livestream.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 16:47 (Ref:4165134)   #2445
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
On the subject of YouTube, British F4 is competing at Silverstone this weekend and can be watched as part of the BARC livestream.
The novelty of being able to see all three races of an event!
Old 24 Jun 2023, 06:47 (Ref:4165164)   #2446
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The first 15 races of the BTCC season are currently available on ITV Sport's YouTube channel (limited to UK only).
Nice. How very 21st century. Wish we could have the past 25 years' races on there as well or honestly all of them but I can dream. I enjoyed when they once did a "from the archives" bit on the TV program (clips from a 50s or 60s race) - they should do more of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
The novelty of being able to see all three races of an event!
Old 24 Jun 2023, 12:18 (Ref:4165173)   #2447
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I would love to see the full extended highlights from 1994-2000.
Old 24 Jun 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4165178)   #2448
SSmith
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Nice. How very 21st century. Wish we could have the past 25 years' races on there as well or honestly all of them but I can dream. I enjoyed when they once did a "from the archives" bit on the TV program (clips from a 50s or 60s race) - they should do more of that.
2015-2022 are available on ITVs website - https://www.itv.com/btcc/articles/wa...-from-the-btcc

It would be good to have more of them on there. ITV didn't get the broadcasting rights until 2002 I think, but even adding 2002-2014 to what is already available would be awesome especially as we are in the mid-season break.
Old 24 Jun 2023, 13:13 (Ref:4165179)   #2449
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
2015-2022 are available on ITVs website - https://www.itv.com/btcc/articles/wa...-from-the-btcc

It would be good to have more of them on there. ITV didn't get the broadcasting rights until 2002 I think, but even adding 2002-2014 to what is already available would be awesome especially as we are in the mid-season break.
It's good they have so many on there. I'm sure there's more lurking in the archives. ITV only did the odd race before 2002 and it's coverage has got better ever since then. It might be harder to get more races up though, it depends how they were broadcast at the time
Old 25 Jun 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4165265)   #2450
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can download all previous seasons from Duke Video for a modest cost. I've got everything and some I got for no cost because of the points you build up.