Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Jun 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4165017)   #126
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Well, they just replace squirrel by coyote I've been told. Or yellow dog.
Old 22 Jun 2023, 22:20 (Ref:4165055)   #127
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can’t say I ever noticed SZs at Classic

Any problems and it’s normally been bc a single SC or a red flag for the short sessions
Old 23 Jun 2023, 07:26 (Ref:4165072)   #128
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Before Covid they had an agreement with Coyote instead of the heavy oboard system with a dedicated screen. They cant argue that all cars are much slower in LMC grids because some are still very fast.
https://www.facebook.com/LeMansClass...008263/?type=3 In this case Coyote is a company, not a poor joke. Still, there must be some squirrels left in the forest…
Old 8 Jul 2023, 03:33 (Ref:4167125)   #129
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO there's no reason to have safety car anymore. With some tweaks, FCY deals with any intervention race direction needs. A big flaw SC has and no one seems to notice, I've seen this happen several times: cars running at high speeds to get back to the SC train. Just to name an example: in 2010 the leading LMP2 got stuck on the gravel during a SC. What happened when it joined the track? The driver simply drove at high speed to get back behind the next group of cars. It makes no sense.
Old 8 Jul 2023, 05:34 (Ref:4167134)   #130
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ederss7 View Post
IMO there's no reason to have safety car anymore. With some tweaks, FCY deals with any intervention race direction needs. A big flaw SC has and no one seems to notice, I've seen this happen several times: cars running at high speeds to get back to the SC train. Just to name an example: in 2010 the leading LMP2 got stuck on the gravel during a SC. What happened when it joined the track? The driver simply drove at high speed to get back behind the next group of cars. It makes no sense.
Tell me you've never worked trackside without telling you've never worked trackside.

Marshals will always need (and need to know) that the cars are all grouped on-track if they are doing more significant repair/clean-up tasks. Do you expect these to happen while cars are spread out on track? Don't forget the cars are still doing lethal speeds, even under FCY.

Your example (rightly) points out a flaw with how safety cars are currently implemented, but that can be alleviated with tighter rules on catching up or unlapping under safety cars.
Old 8 Jul 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4167165)   #131
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Tell me you've never worked trackside without telling you've never worked trackside.

Marshals will always need (and need to know) that the cars are all grouped on-track if they are doing more significant repair/clean-up tasks. Do you expect these to happen while cars are spread out on track? Don't forget the cars are still doing lethal speeds, even under FCY.

Your example (rightly) points out a flaw with how safety cars are currently implemented, but that can be alleviated with tighter rules on catching up or unlapping under safety cars.
Yes, that's why I said "with some tweaks". You can get around the issues you mentioned. Force everyone to go really slow. They can do that. Also, it's a very long circuit. You don't need to group cars. Of course it's not ideal, but you can make it work.
You can even create a system to prevent cars having advantage through slow zones. Race direction can monitor everything these days.
Old 9 Jul 2023, 10:46 (Ref:4167346)   #132
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The accident we just witnessed at Monza demonstrates why full SCs are still required. You could not clear that under a FCY.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 02:57 (Ref:4167673)   #133
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
Screenshot from 2017 race. Track had to be cleaned; crash barriers needed fix, trucks drove out of the pit lane until the first chicane. No safety car deployed, only slow zones. At Le Mans you don't need safety cars anymore. You need some changes to make it right. It would make marshals work more complex, but not impossible.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20230708_184456_YouTube.jpg  
Old 10 Jul 2023, 06:24 (Ref:4167681)   #134
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think you have to accept that not everyone agrees with you.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 07:25 (Ref:4167688)   #135
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Screenshot from 2017 race. Track had to be cleaned; crash barriers needed fix, trucks drove out of the pit lane until the first chicane. No safety car deployed, only slow zones. At Le Mans you don't need safety cars anymore. You need some changes to make it right. It would make marshals work more complex, but not impossible.
I can find you screenshots from 2010 where cars were full throttle through yellow zones with marshals on track. Just because it happened, doesn't make it acceptable.

Also there's a LOT less debris in that photo than yesterdays Aston accident, which spread mess across the entire width of the circuit.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 08:02 (Ref:4167696)   #136
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I can find you screenshots from 2010 where cars were full throttle through yellow zones with marshals on track. Just because it happened, doesn't make it acceptable.
This. I think he who did some marshalling, any time/country/track/series would agree with you. Not forgetting that (may be Monaco apart) those people are pure enthousiasts some times investing their own money in racing too while remaining humans.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4167761)   #137
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At Mosport in the IMSA race one of the BMW's got a penalty for reckless driving while safety vehicles were on track. the driver was speeding up to catch up to the end of the line after getting a wave by, and was came upon a track vehicle around a blind corner. Ended up beaching the car in the gravel after taking avoiding action.

I think this is relevant to the discussion of safety cars because even if you have rules in place it doesn't mean the drivers will follow them, and you have to make sure the marshals are safe no matter what. This was just one car, but there could have be 5 or 10 doing the same thing and how could the marshals get their work done if they are always having to look over shoulder to see if somebody is about to lose it while catching up to the queue?
Old 10 Jul 2023, 15:43 (Ref:4167767)   #138
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
At Mosport in the IMSA race one of the BMW's got a penalty for reckless driving while safety vehicles were on track. the driver was speeding up to catch up to the end of the line after getting a wave by, and was came upon a track vehicle around a blind corner.//This was just one car, but there could have be 5 or 10 doing the same thing and how could the marshals get their work done if they are always having to look over shoulder to see if somebody is about to lose it while catching up to the queue?
I see your point and the example chosen is "perfect". But on the drivers' defense I'd say that it is in the regulation and during any briefing of any race that in case of SC you have to promptly join the queue. Some drivers do it safely while others don't. At amateur level we've been asking for heavy penalties to be given to any driver overtaking under SC or YF finding this totally unacceptable. With the modern time keeping systems monitoring the batch sector by sector its easy peasy. Just a matter of will and a question of common sense I'd say.
Old 10 Jul 2023, 18:39 (Ref:4167795)   #139
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I think you have to accept that not everyone agrees with you.
Why do you think Im not accepting it? Just sharing my opinion. I don't know how you would think that.

Quote:

Also there's a LOT less debris in that photo than yesterdays Aston accident, which spread mess across the entire width of the circuit.
Of course SC it's better in those incidents. And that screenshot was just a random example. Turns out Im watching that race right now.
Old 11 Jul 2023, 19:36 (Ref:4167975)   #140
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
At Mosport in the IMSA race one of the BMW's got a penalty for reckless driving while safety vehicles were on track. the driver was speeding up to catch up to the end of the line after getting a wave by, and was came upon a track vehicle around a blind corner. Ended up beaching the car in the gravel after taking avoiding action.

I think this is relevant to the discussion of safety cars because even if you have rules in place it doesn't mean the drivers will follow them, and you have to make sure the marshals are safe no matter what. This was just one car, but there could have be 5 or 10 doing the same thing and how could the marshals get their work done if they are always having to look over shoulder to see if somebody is about to lose it while catching up to the queue?
You police this by doing what N24/NLS does. Send a driver immediately home and revoke their license. NLS rarely has issues like this despite having 5 times more drivers, almost all of which are amateurs.

The solution is simple. Have draconian punishments for safety violations like this. Park a factory BMW for a day and ban the driver for a few races and you can bet these violations will dry up faster than...something not appropriate to post here.
Old 11 Jul 2023, 19:41 (Ref:4167976)   #141
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You police this by doing what N24/NLS does. Send a driver immediately home and revoke their license. NLS rarely has issues like this despite having 5 times more drivers, almost all of which are amateurs.

The solution is simple. Have draconian punishments for safety violations like this. Park a factory BMW for a day and ban the driver for a few races and you can bet these violations will dry up faster than...something not appropriate to post here.
I think that is a workable solution, but I bet the drivers will protest!
Old 11 Jul 2023, 20:07 (Ref:4167981)   #142
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ho no,you'd be surprised to see how many hate to be overtaken under SC or YF.Pros and amateurs. I quite agree with Akrapovic here. Not only its dangerous but more than unfair to say the least. The opinion of someone who does not appreciate the SC in general.
Old 11 Jul 2023, 20:49 (Ref:4167986)   #143
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think that is a workable solution, but I bet the drivers will protest!
If they protest, extend the ban
Old 12 Jul 2023, 11:23 (Ref:4168058)   #144
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Why do you think Im not accepting it? Just sharing my opinion. I don't know how you would think that.
My apologies then. But as you had twice told us that SC's are no longer necessary, you seemed pretty fixed on that opinion. But it is your opinion and I accept you're entitled to it.
Old 21 Nov 2023, 22:36 (Ref:4186802)   #145
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...r-2024-season/
Let's make the rules more complicated for no reason
Old 22 Nov 2023, 00:21 (Ref:4186806)   #146
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not instead of, but before SC. Not sure on that one.
Old 22 Nov 2023, 07:41 (Ref:4186846)   #147
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcug View Post
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...r-2024-season/
Let's make the rules more complicated for no reason
I think this is sensible. All options are available to race control: FCY, immediate safety car, VSC followed by SC. And slow zones at LM.

The unnecessary complication comes from closing the pit lane and then forcing competitors to take emergency service.
Old 22 Nov 2023, 21:20 (Ref:4186937)   #148
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All options? Why not just have a VSC to possibly sort problem and get in with racing.

Just going to have most cars in pits during VSC surely as they’re all bunched up soon afterwards
Old 23 Nov 2023, 12:56 (Ref:4186998)   #149
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
All options? Why not just have a VSC to possibly sort problem and get in with racing.

Just going to have most cars in pits during VSC surely as they’re all bunched up soon afterwards
My understanding is they do have a VSC and then get on with racing - this is what the FCY is.

The VSC is for when they are going to a SC (usually because they need a gap in traffic to work). The VSC before hand neutralises the circuit to allow an immediate response, and then they move to SC to do the major work.

The FCY and back to green still exists.
Old 23 Nov 2023, 15:18 (Ref:4187004)   #150
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exactly this. Direct to SC always creates some minutes of hazard with guys still going at almost racing pace to close the gap with the SC on track while they are not fully aware of what's going on. Always a bit dangerous.