Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Apr 2023, 15:45 (Ref:4153838)   #51
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It felt like a moment from the 1980s…
Old 30 Apr 2023, 15:45 (Ref:4153839)   #52
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Shambles at the end did not help.....
It seems the FIA have been found in breach of their own Sporting Regulations over it.

The stewards summoned the FIA over the matter, finding two articles of the International Sporting Code had been breached.

Specifically, Article 12.2.1h relates to “Any unsafe act or failure to take reasonable measures, thus resulting in an unsafe situation.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/01...lane-incident/
Old 30 Apr 2023, 18:00 (Ref:4153865)   #53
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
It seems the FIA have been found in breach of their own Sporting Regulations over it.

The stewards summoned the FIA over the matter, finding two articles of the International Sporting Code had been breached.

Specifically, Article 12.2.1h relates to “Any unsafe act or failure to take reasonable measures, thus resulting in an unsafe situation.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/01...lane-incident/

Indeed, the first two people jumping aside seemed to be FIA folk by the look of the outfit, but could be wrong. Beyond that it is unsafe anyway, the fact that Ocon still had to pit did not seem make the necessary people extra aware.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 30 Apr 2023, 18:18 (Ref:4153869)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Indeed, the first two people jumping aside seemed to be FIA folk by the look of the outfit, but could be wrong. Beyond that it is unsafe anyway, the fact that Ocon still had to pit did not seem make the necessary people extra aware.

I doubt they were aware Ocon had yet to pit, hence they were milling about on pit lane. Which begs the question, why were they even allowed onto pit lane in the first place, when the race hadn't ended?
Old 30 Apr 2023, 18:19 (Ref:4153870)   #55
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found the teamwork from Alonso and Stroll very refreshing. So kudo's to them for that. "Tell Alonso I won't attack him, were on the same plan", "He can have a go if he wants", "tell Stroll my brake settings, it might help him".

You don't see that often. Often it is I need to better my teammate. To see two guys racing full on, but putting the team first is quite nice to see.

On the Verstappen-Russell incident yesterday. Racing incident for me. If two go side by side into a 90 degree corner like that, well it's just very hard to fight for position inside and produce the necessary restraint to leave enough space on the outside. It's a tough balancing act. Could've been noted though.

I was a bit disappointed that one of the directors of the GPDA apparently feels that if you are on the outside and ahead at the apex (like Verstappen was at T2) you are taking a risk and apparently would be better to just relinquish the corner. As if any racing driver is ever going to give up his position in that situation or would not be looked down upon if having done so.

I reckon a director of the GPDA should do better to promote higher standards of racing. Note, I'm not defending Verstappen, as said it was a racing incident and he's no angel himself.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 30 Apr 2023, 18:21 (Ref:4153871)   #56
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I doubt they were aware Ocon had yet to pit, hence they were milling about on pit lane. Which begs the question, why were they even allowed onto pit lane in the first place, when the race hadn't ended?

Yes, strange. Apart from Ocon having to pit there could always be a technical reason why somebody needs to come in. So yes, unsafe in any case. That said, the first two seemed to be FIA people. They surely should have been aware that Ocon could only come in on that lap.
Old 30 Apr 2023, 18:45 (Ref:4153879)   #57
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems some people forgot, although curious why Ocon had to pit then, just for tyres considering there was no chance of FL. Maybe they should close the pit on the last lap. Either way it’s something that could have been avoided
Old 30 Apr 2023, 18:48 (Ref:4153882)   #58
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
although curious why Ocon had to pit then, just for tyres considering there was no chance of FL.
It's mandatory to use two compounds during the race. Ocon was mandated by the regulations to switch to another compound and chose to do it that lap.
Old 30 Apr 2023, 18:53 (Ref:4153885)   #59
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's mandatory to use two compounds during the race. Ocon was mandated by the regulations to switch to another compound and chose to do it that lap.
If I'm not mistake on top of that it is not allowed (anymore) to do it in the last lap, so the chance of him coming in that lap was close to 100%
Old 30 Apr 2023, 19:21 (Ref:4153893)   #60
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Congrats again to Perez.

I agree with the sentiment.The thing is though it does make me question just how much of the lead in the constructor's championship is attributable to the excellent design work and how much comes from the drivers.I think we know the answer to that now that we have seen Perez take two successive wins.He has had a solid career outside the ranks of the acknowledged megastars and now he has beaten a double world champion in the recent events.
Old 30 Apr 2023, 19:43 (Ref:4153896)   #61
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it’s still early days and we shouldn’t draw too many conclusions. But Checo is certainly making a claim to keep that Red Bull seat and get the upper hand on Max
Old 30 Apr 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4153899)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

The other teams could catch up and I wouldn’t be surprised. It will be interesting to see how the RBR drivers react to that. Perez certainly seems to be showing his stuff now, which could be very handy when the going gets tough
Old 30 Apr 2023, 19:46 (Ref:4153902)   #63
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad Perez won the race, albeit fairly boring. Now the fun starts within Red Bull. Can't see Vestappen giving in to easily. According to Horner they're both free to race. Who's kidding who?
Old 30 Apr 2023, 19:48 (Ref:4153903)   #64
S griffin
Veteran

It would be nice if they could more competition, it’s too easy for Red Bull atm. Max needs to watch out though. Horner will be keeping a watchful eye, I can see Perez getting the upper hand more often. But that’s enough from me
Old 30 Apr 2023, 23:00 (Ref:4153930)   #65
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I think it's still too early in the season and close in points to start favoring one RB driver over the other. Although if Max pulls a point lead late enough Sergio will be instructed to support that. If Sergio pulls a lead it'll be up to max to overcome it. Slight difference.
Old 1 May 2023, 11:28 (Ref:4154002)   #66
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Glad Perez won the race, albeit fairly boring. Now the fun starts within Red Bull. Can't see Vestappen giving in to easily. According to Horner they're both free to race. Who's kidding who?
Mr Spice was on the radio to Max saying he was just unlucky and Checo won due to a lucky break with the SC. In reality, Perez outdrove Max all weekend.

I think we know who is kidding who.
Old 1 May 2023, 12:03 (Ref:4154004)   #67
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Mr Spice was on the radio to Max saying he was just unlucky and Checo won due to a lucky break with the SC. In reality, Perez outdrove Max all weekend.

I think we know who is kidding who.
It is pathetic how in the shadow of the Vestappens Mr Spice is
Old 1 May 2023, 20:43 (Ref:4154069)   #68
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Toto didn't think much of the race - wonder what he'd give it on our 10/10 "rate the race" thread?

Of course, give them all only 1 hour of Practice (less due to red flag) then lock them into that setup with only front wing & type pressure changes allowed and they'll all have to go conservative on tyres, drive to a number, try to manage tyre life - so as a result, we get a pretty ordinary race, particularly in comparison to previous Baku races.

Give them more time to Practice, or let them make changes to the cars between races and we might have seen a much better Grand Prix as more of them would have been able to commit harder for longer.
Old 1 May 2023, 20:54 (Ref:4154070)   #69
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Toto didn't think much of the race - wonder what he'd give it on our 10/10 "rate the race" thread?

Of course, give them all only 1 hour of Practice (less due to red flag) then lock them into that setup with only front wing & type pressure changes allowed and they'll all have to go conservative on tyres, drive to a number, try to manage tyre life - so as a result, we get a pretty ordinary race, particularly in comparison to previous Baku races.

Give them more time to Practice, or let them make changes to the cars between races and we might have seen a much better Grand Prix as more of them would have been able to commit harder for longer.
That's an interesting thought.

I wonder how true that would be though, when you consider the complaints about tracks where they test being boring because they are too 'dialled in'?
Old 1 May 2023, 21:01 (Ref:4154071)   #70
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That's an interesting thought.

I wonder how true that would be though, when you consider the complaints about tracks where they test being boring because they are too 'dialled in'?
Yes it's hard to REALLY know & I guess we'll rarely be fully satisfied but IMHO the lack of practice and then into Parc Ferme went too far.

I look at something like how hard Alonso came at Leclerc at the end of the race and makes me wonder if a bit more practice (say 90 minutes with stoppage time added, so they get a full 90) and then more changes allowed in Parc Ferme - after the Sprint, or something like that would have improved the GP.
Old 1 May 2023, 22:46 (Ref:4154083)   #71
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don’t see the problem in allowing teams to adjust settings on the car, things like wing settings, anti roll bar, dampers etc, although I’ve no idea if these cars even have that kind of technology any more.
Old 1 May 2023, 23:18 (Ref:4154089)   #72
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about the sprint race grid being set by the reverse of the GP grid, so de Vries would have been on pole for the sprint. That should produce a bit more overtaking and you are unlikely to get the front runners from sacrificing their qually for the sprint race.
Old 1 May 2023, 23:31 (Ref:4154090)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I could be wrong on this but are working hours still limited per day/per race weekend?

Could a more elegant solution be allowing for more changes to be made provided they still adhere to those allowable work hours…perhaps even curtail those allowable hours to prevent cars from getting too setup too dialled in?

Either way though, it seems like the difficulty in following closely is creeping back into these designs….will more or less changes make much of a difference in how these tires respond to following in the dirty air?
Old 1 May 2023, 23:36 (Ref:4154092)   #74
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As a side point, thought it was a bit useless in seeing cars doing multiple laps with this series of one hot lap followed by a cool down lap to reset the tires to do another hot lap.

Seems to be an issue of doing several quali laps in a row within these shorter quali sessions.
Old 2 May 2023, 00:19 (Ref:4154093)   #75
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
How about the sprint race grid being set by the reverse of the GP grid, so de Vries would have been on pole for the sprint. That should produce a bit more overtaking and you are unlikely to get the front runners from sacrificing their qually for the sprint race.
Agree with you.
See my post #16 on the sprint race thread