Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Aug 2002, 21:30 (Ref:362421)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan McNish. Not good enough for F1??

ALL kinds of rumours surrounding the driver line up at Toyota next year. The strongest one is Da Matta to drive alongside Salo, with the FORMER as the #1 driver. Anyway, the point is NONE of these rumours involve poor Alan.

Whilst he's been OKayyy this season, he's hardly been spectacular. Whilst he has had the lions share of unreliability, even when the car's worked he hasn't exactly dazzled.

So is that i?? End of F1 dream for McNish?? Or will someone sign him?? Or will he stay at Toyota?? Rumours rumours rumours.....
Old 20 Aug 2002, 21:50 (Ref:362439)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great shame. Salo has not been overly impressive this season but has blatantly received the better car from his better reliability. Allan deserves another season.

Last edited by Minardi fan; 20 Aug 2002 at 21:51.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 23:05 (Ref:362545)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If McNish is under pressure, then Salo should be too. From what I can see, they have been remarkably close in terms of performance.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 23:23 (Ref:362560)   #4
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McNish has actually at circuits he knows been very close indeed to the qualifying times of Salo. Nobody seems to have noticed that.

It's always going to be a shame he didn't end up at McLaren in the early 90s where so many expected him to go. Who knows what might have happened.

It's a terrible shame but I don't see him in F1 next year. A second year would give him a tremendous opportunity to shine IMO.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 23:35 (Ref:362571)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Alan would have to pull something out of the bag in the 4 remaining races to remain in F1.

Valve
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:16 (Ref:362589)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mac, I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that Allan and Mika have been close in terms of performance... Surely Allan deserves another crack at it? I think he has a *lot* of potential despite his age.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 00:59 (Ref:362604)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MF, maybe they are both rubbish - I don't know. But if McSquish is under pressure, then Salo should be also. If Salo is the benchmark, then I think Alan's done a good job.

Heya! My 1500th post. Good on me!

Last edited by mac; 21 Aug 2002 at 01:00.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 02:07 (Ref:362616)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DaMatta will have McNish's seat next year. It's just not going to work out. Salo they'll keep for this year at least, he's got a 1-year contract option they can exercise. But if he can't keep up with the Brazilian, he'll be gone for '04, as by then there'll be some good properties on the market.

If it were up to me, I'd have Frentzen in that car right now. It's not that McNish is so bad, it's that there are drivers gunning for that Toyota ride who are a _lot_ better.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 02:56 (Ref:362632)   #9
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok lee you have named frenzen. WHO are ones that are-a-lot-better????. there are not many better.
McNish is a Damded driver.

Last edited by mickj; 21 Aug 2002 at 02:56.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 02:58 (Ref:362633)   #10
Croc
Rookie

France
.fr
Croc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
DaMatta will have McNish's seat next year.
Probably not, Da Matta has one more year to go on his contract and sources suggest that Newman-Haas is asking for a $10m pay-off from Toyota.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 04:14 (Ref:362647)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be a shame for McNish to be given the arse after only one year, particularly as he has been relatively close to Salo all year, and considering that McNish had never driven in an F1 car at most of those circuits, I think that in itself is particularly impressive.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 06:15 (Ref:362669)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mcnish is unlucky for sure - he should have made it to F1 a long time ago. With the on-going focus on young drivers, Mcnish is set to lose his seat if Toyota as expected - go for a younger driver. I certainly dont think they should drop Mcnish for De Matta - Mcnish would have a year's F1 experience - and would certainly help more with devlopment compared to De Matta in his rookie f1 season.

But if they can get a hold of someone like Heidfeld - then Mcnish is pretty much history.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:32 (Ref:362748)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Croc

Probably not, Da Matta has one more year to go on his contract and sources suggest that Newman-Haas is asking for a $10m pay-off from Toyota.
I thought that De Matta's contract was actually owned by Totota. This is very much like JPM, Ganassi wanted him for 2001, and had an option on him, but Williams owned his contract, Williams got their way!
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:32 (Ref:362749)   #14
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McNish should definitely stay at Toyota next year.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 11:23 (Ref:362841)   #15
mac
Veteran

Nope, da Matta's contract is with Newman-Haas.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 11:55 (Ref:362867)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mickj
ok lee you have named frenzen. WHO are ones that are-a-lot-better????. there are not many better.
McNish is a Damded driver.
Frentzen, DaMatta, Justin Wilson, Mark Webber, Anthony Davidson, Phil Giebler...

As I've said before, Allan's an excellent driver, but with the low seating position, twitchy handling, and traction control, there are some otherwise excellent drivers who just aren't going to be competitive in F1. Allan's the best endurance driver in the world, but he's not going to make it in F1.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 12:22 (Ref:362894)   #17
Croc
Rookie

France
.fr
Like mac said, he has contract with Newman-Haas not with Toyota. However there isn't any possibility that they come to an agreement, since Newman-Haas is intending to stay in CART next year while Toyota is moving to IRL.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 12:37 (Ref:362907)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
There was something on ESPN's website to the effect that DaMatta's contract is with Newman-Haas and the buyout price was too high for Toyota. I like McNish a lot and think his results in qualifying and in races where the car actually ran would indicate that if his job is in danger, than so should Salo's - he hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Maybe he will go too? Does anyone know who Toyota's test driver is at the moment?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 12:46 (Ref:362915)   #19
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
as peter windsor(i think)said in f1racing...toyota need to be spending their money on the car at the moment, not chopping and changing their driver line-up (think jaguar/bar) - an experienced driver with good feedback.

hey, whaddya know...they've already got two of 'em...!
Old 21 Aug 2002, 12:46 (Ref:362916)   #20
Croc
Rookie

France
.fr
Quote:
Does anyone know who Toyota's test driver is at the moment?
Ryan Briscoe.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 12:47 (Ref:362917)   #21
Croc
Rookie

France
.fr
Quote:
Does anyone know who Toyota's test driver is at the moment?
Ryan Briscoe and Stephane Sarrazin.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 15:20 (Ref:363015)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's assume he gets dropped. Where then?
Old 21 Aug 2002, 17:27 (Ref:363070)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have Frenzten and McNish in my team...

I guess Allan lacks that 5th time in qualifying, a point, a bit of luck... His car didn't even start in San Marino, and at a lot more places it didn't finish...
Old 21 Aug 2002, 18:19 (Ref:363100)   #24
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hes unlucky, but always near his team-mate Salo, in Hungary he was within 0.1s of Salo...thats not bad seeing as Salo is a VERY experienced F1 racer and McNish is inexperienced in F1.

i reckon if is at Toyota next season he will be 10 times better. F1 is a learning curve, just gotta go through bad times before you become a good driver.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead