Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2003, 05:59 (Ref:527403)   #1
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Friday's qualifying time going to be counted if

a driver set slower lap time tomorrow than today because of rain or fuel strategy? If it isn't, what's the point of having friday qualify? And, if it is, William really screwed up this time.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 06:10 (Ref:527409)   #2
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... it is NOT going to be counted. if it is, it has no meaning to have saturday qualifying with that fuel rule. Ah,
my brain!
Old 7 Mar 2003, 08:00 (Ref:527462)   #3
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your second post is on the money. That's among other reasons why they ditched 107%, so if conditions change even though it'll fudge the grid it'll still mean qualifiers have nothing to fear.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 7 Mar 2003, 12:33 (Ref:527691)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um,huh?
no it's probably easy,i'm just tired..
Old 8 Mar 2003, 10:18 (Ref:528699)   #5
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They seem to still have the 107% rule. the commentators were certainly referring to it this morning. Interesting tactic from the Minardis, so obviously Fridaysqualifying time can be counted in.. Take some getting used to but enjoyable all the same. Bring on the race!!!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 10:27 (Ref:528707)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think Fridays time counts....it just proves that they can achieve a time that is within 107% .......i think a time in a free practice session would count also to show they can acheieve a certain lap time.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 10:30 (Ref:528711)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time, does NOT dirrectly count. The finishing order however, does. (if 2 or more cars fail to set a time on saturday they will start at the back, in that order). The 107% rule has become obsolete.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 10:52 (Ref:528726)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
The 107% rule has become obsolete.
that makes it more simply then....but on UK Tv this morning Mark Blundell was still talking about the 107% time as if it may be a problem for Minardi ?...
Old 8 Mar 2003, 11:05 (Ref:528738)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger, he might be right! However, the Sporting Regs that I quote were published February 18. However, the Clarification for qualifying procedure that FIA published, last time, on March 6 doesn't mention it.

Art 129) (the grid) Any driver whose best lap from the second qualifying practice exceeds 107% of the pole position time will not be allowed to take part in the race. Under exceptional circumstances however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in another practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race.

Please note the may permit!! If I were FIA and the stewards I would be really beeppedoff and would NOT consider the previous sessions times and certainly this is not "exceptiona; circumstances"!!!

Anyway, if that's the case, Stoddard will look not only as annying, but also an idiot.

But, I am fairily confident that I've read somewhere that 107% rule doesn't apply anymore... :confused: Can't remember where tho.

Last edited by Red; 8 Mar 2003 at 11:11.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 18:44 (Ref:529070)   #10
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
If I were FIA and the stewards I would be really beeppedoff and would NOT consider the previous sessions times and certainly this is not "exceptional circumstances"!!!
I'm afraid the FIA cannot do that.
As far as I understood, Minardi asked the FIA before the start of saturday qualifying whether this strategy was within the rules...
Old 8 Mar 2003, 18:53 (Ref:529072)   #11
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Art 129) (the grid) Any driver whose best lap from the second qualifying practice exceeds 107% of the pole position time will not be allowed to take part in the race. (snip)
Strange ...
"best lap from the second qulaifying practice"
What does that mean?

Could this be some leftover from last year's regulations?
Or are the times from the outlap and inlap being officially registered?