Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2024, 23:32 (Ref:4207779)   #401
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It was never going to work. All congress can do is raise the issue. Although Andretti probably have a case, this is the not the place for it
I certainly expect that FOM is likely to "circle the wagons" and get defensive, so this might be counter-productive to Andretti's desires.

Might also be further tension between FOM/FIA over all this - the FIA would have to be concerned about the sport getting judged in the US Congress and potential brand / reputation damage. Who know where that all might lead?
Old 8 May 2024, 04:34 (Ref:4207790)   #402
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...etti-referral/

This article gives some of the content and reasoning of the house committee.
Regardless of what Liberty and anyone else might think the reasoning in the comments reflects the thinking of many observers of the sport of F1, so it is consistent with what many F1 fans may think about the FOM decision.
Old 8 May 2024, 05:05 (Ref:4207794)   #403
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
As I'm not a lawyer and not familiar with either US or International law, I don't quite understand the control that US Congress can have over a decision made by a European company (FOM) even if it is owned by a US company (Liberty). As there ARE Grands Prix in the US, so FOM DOES trade there, that might be the key.
This is not my area of expertise either, but note that the pressure is being applied to Liberty not FOM. That FOM (as a subsidiary to Liberty) is incorporated/operates outside of the US likely doesn't matter much to them. Liberty may find it hard to push off blame to FOM.

Richard
Old 8 May 2024, 06:26 (Ref:4207798)   #404
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
This is not my area of expertise either, but note that the pressure is being applied to Liberty not FOM. That FOM (as a subsidiary to Liberty) is incorporated/operates outside of the US likely doesn't matter much to them. Liberty may find it hard to push off blame to FOM.

Richard
I did a little research on this:

Liberty Media Corporation, commonly referred to as Liberty Media or just Liberty, is an American mass media company founded by John C. Malone in 1991. The company has three divisions, reflecting its ownership stakes in Formula One Group, Sirius XM, Live Nation Entertainment, and by the end of 2024, Dorna Sports. The SIRIUS XM Holdings segment operates two audio entertainment companies, Sirius XM and Pandora. Sirius XM offers channels and information and entertainment services. Pandora is a streaming platform for searching for music and podcasts. As of 2024, Liberty Media is set to own three global motorsport businesses in the form of Formula One, MotoGP and World Superbikes.[7]

Formula One Group.

The Formula One Group is a group of companies responsible for the promotion of the FIA Formula One World Championship, and the exercising of the sport's commercial rights.[1]

The Group was previously owned by Delta Topco, a Jersey-based company owned primarily by investment companies CVC Capital Partners, Waddell & Reed, and LBI Group, with the remaining ownership split between Bernie Ecclestone, other investment companies, and company directors. It was bought by Liberty Media in 2017.[2]

Formula One Management:

Previous company names
Name Period
FORMULA ONE ADMINISTRATION LIMITED 28 Sep 1998 - 27 May 1999
FORMULA ONE ADMINISTRATION LIMITED 08 Apr 1998 - 28 Sep 1998
FORMULA ONE MANAGEMENT LIMITED 08 Apr 1998 - 28 Sep 1998
FOCA ADMINISTRATION LIMITED 02 Apr 1998 - 08 Apr 1998
FORMULA ONE ADMINISTRATION LIMITED 11 Feb 1997 - 02 Apr 1998
FORMULA 1 ADMINISTRATION LIMITED 29 Jan 1997 - 11 Feb 1997
F.O.C.A. ADMINISTRATION LIMITED 13 Feb 1981 - 29 Jan 1997

Nature of business (SIC)
59113 - Television programme production activities
59133 - Television programme distribution activities
93199 - Other sports activities

Liberty owns FOM, and FOM is a primary arm of Liberty's business.

And this:

"Formula One Management Limited is a company that plays a crucial role in the world of Formula 1 racing. It is responsible for the broadcasting, organization, and promotional rights of the Formula One World Championship. The company produces the televised feeds of all Grand Prix sessions, which are then supplied to broadcasters around the world1.

The company is part of the larger Formula One Group and has been active since it was incorporated on February 13, 1981. It operates under the company number 01545332 and its registered office address is in London, United Kingdom2. Formula One Management Limited has a history of name changes, reflecting its evolving role within the sport over the years2.

Formula One racing itself began in 1950 and is considered the pinnacle of motorsport, being the most prestigious motor racing competition and one of the most popular annual sporting series globally. The 2024 FIA Formula One World Championship runs from February to December and spans 24 races in 21 countries across five continents3.

For more detailed information about their latest activities, partnerships, and the current season, you can visit the official Formula One website3. "

Regardless of the separation between the US and UK, pressure on Liberty, as opposed to FOM, will not go unnoticed.

Last edited by Teretonga; 8 May 2024 at 06:55.
Old 8 May 2024, 08:53 (Ref:4207810)   #405
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...etti-referral/

This article gives some of the content and reasoning of the house committee.
Regardless of what Liberty and anyone else might think the reasoning in the comments reflects the thinking of many observers of the sport of F1, so it is consistent with what many F1 fans may think about the FOM decision.
True, but what can congress do? They have no power over F1. I guess they could put pressure on them, but I can't see FOM bowing down. Although the points that are made are pretty much spot on.
Old 8 May 2024, 11:28 (Ref:4207826)   #406
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
True, but what can congress do? They have no power over F1. I guess they could put pressure on them, but I can't see FOM bowing down. Although the points that are made are pretty much spot on.

I would imagine that they could exert the same type of pressure that the EU exerted on the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone, which resulted in the separation of FIA and what we have now in FOM.

You can't just ignore what a government, or a part of it's administration, can do if it has the will to do something.
Old 8 May 2024, 12:07 (Ref:4207829)   #407
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I would imagine that they could exert the same type of pressure that the EU exerted on the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone, which resulted in the separation of FIA and what we have now in FOM.

You can't just ignore what a government, or a part of it's administration, can do if it has the will to do something.
Exactly, Mike. And in this day and age of the internet, with faster than light information travel, just how long(as I posted previously) will it take before all this makes the travel from Washington to Brussels. Then, they (FOM) will be called on the carpet, before an EU commission, to give a more thorough explanation of that refusal.

The can has been opened, the worms are scattered. Now, time to deal with the mess...

Last edited by veeten; 8 May 2024 at 12:17.
Old 8 May 2024, 13:53 (Ref:4207842)   #408
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
Exactly, Mike. And in this day and age of the internet, with faster than light information travel, just how long(as I posted previously) will it take before all this makes the travel from Washington to Brussels. Then, they (FOM) will be called on the carpet, before an EU commission, to give a more thorough explanation of that refusal.

The can has been opened, the worms are scattered. Now, time to deal with the mess...
I suspect Brussels have already had the word....
Old 9 May 2024, 02:07 (Ref:4207874)   #409
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Story Here

Stewart-Haas For Sale?

And included, potentially is the USF.. oops HaasF1 base in the US..
This HAS to be a signal for Andretti surely..

To perhaps add NASCAR to their ‘Global’ amd/or deal with Mr Haas and become an F1 powerhouse….
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 May 2024, 12:10 (Ref:4207900)   #410
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If anything else, Andretti would pursue it for the charter placement in F1. The NASCAR stuff presently has no meaning to them. Most of that, including the offices and team center would be either sold off or wound up in receivership.

The F1 stuff is just unnecessary, as they have a recently opened teams center at Silverstone. With the main HQ being built in Indianapolis, that leaves Hass' Kannapolis operation possibly being used for 1+ years, then it's done.

All this turns on if both Gene and Tony are actually ready to call it a day and sell off everything. Then again, Stewart has nothing to do with the Formula one side of the operation, which makes it Gene's call to make.
Old 9 May 2024, 20:09 (Ref:4207921)   #411
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
The F1 stuff is just unnecessary, as they have a recently opened teams center at Silverstone.
The Silverstone building really isn’t F1 size.
Old 9 May 2024, 20:17 (Ref:4207925)   #412
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The Silverstone building really isn’t F1 size.

What is F1 size?
Old 10 May 2024, 02:49 (Ref:4207941)   #413
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What is F1 size?

Without being facetious, bigger than the Silverstone building I guess?

As I understand it, Silverstone is meant to be Andretti’s euro satellite / operations factory, not the main factory, which is to be located in the US.
Old 10 May 2024, 03:46 (Ref:4207942)   #414
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Story Here

Stewart-Haas For Sale?

And included, potentially is the USF.. oops HaasF1 base in the US..
This HAS to be a signal for Andretti surely..

To perhaps add NASCAR to their ‘Global’ amd/or deal with Mr Haas and become an F1 powerhouse….

The biggest question for F1 fans is what does this mean for the future of Haas F1?
It doesnt have a manufacturing site.
Everything is bought in from Ferrari and Dallara plus others.
There is very little actually done apart from some in season development and preparation so what does it all mean for the team.
Its a cut price operation.

I love that about it but it is not the way Andretti is going racing, but it could be a way to get in the door for 2025-26-27, IF the team is for sale....
Old 10 May 2024, 10:21 (Ref:4207969)   #415
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Joe Saward's take on the letter from Congress members - quite a different view from some of the journalists reporting the story so far.
Old 10 May 2024, 11:08 (Ref:4207975)   #416
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Joe Saward's take on the letter from Congress members - quite a different view from some of the journalists reporting the story so far.

One thing that he has seemed to overlook is the effect that a potential ruling about the grouping of the FIA and what became FOM by the EU Commission. This brought about the separation of the two, even though this had absolutely no impact on the public. The same sort of thing could happen in the States, as I mentioned previously.
Old 10 May 2024, 11:22 (Ref:4207978)   #417
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I like Joe's perspective on F1 as it's a topic he knows. As he says in the article he doesn't understand US Antitrust laws. He also is handicapped as he is an outsider looking in on this topic, so it's easy to get it wrong. It really comes across as a bit of a fish out of water article. I was more concerned that he had a bad experience with his first "Philly cheesesteak". Someone did him a disservice.

Richard
Old 10 May 2024, 11:26 (Ref:4207979)   #418
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I am a fan of Joe’s writing in most cases.However he has been strongly against the Andretti entry since it was first proposed.With every development he has doubled down.It has been like he is channeling James Vowles in this.
Old 10 May 2024, 16:06 (Ref:4208027)   #419
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I like Joe's perspective on F1 as it's a topic he knows. As he says in the article he doesn't understand US Antitrust laws. He also is handicapped as he is an outsider looking in on this topic, so it's easy to get it wrong. It really comes across as a bit of a fish out of water article. I was more concerned that he had a bad experience with his first "Philly cheesesteak". Someone did him a disservice.

Richard
That was an interesting blog but the comment about cheesesteak was weird. He wrote it as if he has never heard of a Philly cheesesteak and then made a Shoeless Joe Jackson reference two paragraphs later. Liar liar pants on fire. Somebody get that man a Cuban sandwich asap! Also, all of Liberty's subsidiaries are traded independently on NASDAQ not NYSE. Federal anti-trust cases can only be started by the Federal government, hence why they have gotten a congressman involved. You can't just go to your local county courthouse and file an anti-trust suit against a company.
Old 10 May 2024, 18:39 (Ref:4208041)   #420
Richard C
Veteran

You can mess up any recipe. But a Hoagie roll, thinly sliced grilled beef, sauteed onions, mushrooms, melted provolone cheese and some Mayo! You can't go wrong. I hear there is a version using "Cheez Whiz", but that sounds terrible to me.

Richard
Old 10 May 2024, 19:03 (Ref:4208044)   #421
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had a Hoagie in Philly many years ago.
Old 10 May 2024, 20:08 (Ref:4208054)   #422
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
One thing that he has seemed to overlook is the effect that a potential ruling about the grouping of the FIA and what became FOM by the EU Commission. This brought about the separation of the two, even though this had absolutely no impact on the public. The same sort of thing could happen in the States, as I mentioned previously.
If they are already separated, how could any decision in the US change that & make them more separated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I had a Hoagie in Philly many years ago.
Old 10 May 2024, 20:13 (Ref:4208055)   #423
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That was an interesting blog but the comment about cheesesteak was weird. He wrote it as if he has never heard of a Philly cheesesteak and then made a Shoeless Joe Jackson reference two paragraphs later. Liar liar pants on fire.
Shoeless Joe Jackson was a strong character in "Field of Dreams" so the name is well-know outside the US due to the international success and standing of the film.

I'm a little surprised at Joe not having heard of a Philly Cheese Steak as it too gets a fair run of mentions in US films of one kind or another but to me, as a non-US resident, Shoeless Joe was a name that I knew and was strongly aware of, having really like the movie, long before I'd heard of a Philly Cheese Steak.

Agree that a Philly Cheese Steak can be OK but like everything in life, there are good and bad examples.
Old 10 May 2024, 21:02 (Ref:4208064)   #424
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
If they are already separated, how could any decision in the US change that & make them more separated?

My comment was about the historical separation that was the result of the EU Commission considering that, if acting together, the FIA would be subject to an Anti-Trust law suit. The two parties agreed that the FIA would sell the commercial arm, known now as FOM, to Bernie Ecclestone and the EU dropped the investigation.

I am suggesting that FOM may decide to to alter their current stance rather that getting involved in a bun fight with the US Congress, if it gets that far, in the same way that the FIA made peace with the EU.
Old 10 May 2024, 21:19 (Ref:4208065)   #425
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agree that a Philly Cheese Steak can be OK but like everything in life, there are good and bad examples.
Yep. And airport catering outlets are a pretty good bet of getting the latter, whilst paying something approaching that for a Michelin star dish.