Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1215445)   #1
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams building second wind tunnel

Looks like Willy and the gang are upping their ante another notch in the long run.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=75805

A second wind tunnel? That outta help in aero development.

Can't say I can see FW on a 125cc scooter though.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1215450)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They already have a second wind-tunnel.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1215454)   #3
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
They already have a second wind-tunnel.
Doh. Ok Ok Ok A) I didn't know that. and B) the way it was worded on the news "Help finance "a" second wind tunnel." To me sounds like it's in the design phase and not built yet. Should have replaced the "a" with a "the".
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1215459)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Apparently Frank sold his $46 million jet and Patrick has sold his $4.5 million helicopter to finance it...
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1215463)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought Patrick used his helicopter to travel from London to Grove. It gives him more time with his family.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1215470)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Patrick thinks that getting Williams to another WDC is more important then his family. Or maybe his children have grown up and his wife has hit menopause so he is trying to minimise the amount of time he spends at home
Old 2 Feb 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1215475)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Maybe Patrick thinks that getting Williams to another WDC is more important then his family. Or maybe his children have grown up and his wife has hit menopause so he is trying to minimise the amount of time he spends at home

Wrong on both counts - Patrick Head has been reducing his commitments to spend more time with his family, this doesn't make him less commited to the team simply letting others take more of the load.

As for his family, he is fairly recently married (within the last few years) and has very young children (IIRC).

I can't see that personal comments about his family add to the thread.....

Last edited by Super Tourer; 2 Feb 2005 at 12:55.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1215556)   #8
farcnield

Yes and i was under the impression that the helli was only leased, and with the great new regs governing air travel, maybe we`ll see them travel with easyjet or Ryanair like the rest!

Old 2 Feb 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1215560)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Williams will charter a prviate jet for SFW, as and when it is needed.

As Patrick Head said, selling the aircraft not only released more capital for the business, it also saves on the annual running costs - which were considerable.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1215737)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Proving once again that the more $$ the Teams have, the more they will spend in some way or another, despite rules changes.

Trees, wind tunnels, jets, mass spectrometers, caterers, mass accelerators, rolling offices - we are limited only by the amount of cash on hand!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1215750)   #11
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Trees, wind tunnels, jets, mass spectrometers, caterers, mass accelerators, rolling offices - we are limited only by the amount of cash on hand!
They must be short of cash, they have gone open source for their supercomputer.

Quote:
Formula One (F1) racing team BMW WilliamsF1 has used Linux-based supercomputers to treble its computational capacity for designing its new car, which was launched this week.

The FW27, the team's car for the 2005 Grand Prix championship, owes much to pre-testing modelling and simulations run on a powerful combination of computer systems, speeding development and allowing the team to conform to new regulations governing the sport.

The car's design required simulations of 1.3TB of aerodynamic data ....
Link
Old 2 Feb 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1215771)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I guess it came down to either bringing trees to every race, or a Supercomputer! Oh the humanity of it all, having to make such decisions simply to make ends meet!

"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1215857)   #13
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosch!
They must be short of cash, they have gone open source for their supercomputer.
I Think You will find that was part of the HP deal and HP run UNIX servers and know alot about open source and new that it would be better than any operating system for there jobs. As I read An article in Linux Format with williams and they realised all the details of why they switched and it was alot better than the system they had before. ...... also dont knock open source its better than this "microsoft rubbish" everyone else uses.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 2 Feb 2005 at 20:18.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1215872)   #14
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
And here I was worried that this would turn into a bash Driver/Team X thread, I can relax now that it is turning into a bash Microsoft thread!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 2 Feb 2005 at 20:28.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1215953)   #15
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
Wrong on both counts - Patrick Head has been reducing his commitments to spend more time with his family, this doesn't make him less commited to the team simply letting others take more of the load.

As for his family, he is fairly recently married (within the last few years) and has very young children (IIRC).

I can't see that personal comments about his family add to the thread.....

Agreed, it adds nothing and speaking as a female, is far too personal for comfort on this forum.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1215966)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
And here I was worried that this would turn into a bash Driver/Team X thread, I can relax now that it is turning into a bash Microsoft thread!
Linux is far superior to Microsoft in terms of performance and security though...
Both are pretty much needed for design of complex products like a F1 car...

Also you don't really need to download 'security update patch N°70990436...' with Linux either!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 2 Feb 2005 at 22:10.