Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Sep 2003, 02:08 (Ref:731505)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentilozzi On Wind Tunnel

Paul Gentilozzi will be on Wind Tunnel Monday night and will be discussing CART and Trans Am. It should prove to be an interesting, and hopefully informative, discussion.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 04:35 (Ref:731539)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
If you think of it... please remind me Monday morning. (Seriously)

It's been said that "everybody who's talking to the press doesn't know what's going on" and I suspect that he'll prove that true with one or two "no comments". And so I don't imagine that we'll learn much that we don't already know. But it should be a good interview, and I don't want to miss setting up the VCR for it.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 06:17 (Ref:731557)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was mistaken before- the trans-Am Jaguars still have the old pushrod, but the PuertoRico race will show case the 4.5 litre 32 valve DOHC JAguar V8...Paul wants T/A to go modern and leave carbs for GT1(SCCA equivalent of T/A) and Nascar.
I would like T/A to reach its past glory as a real bad-ass road racing series. I hope the CART situation wil be covered and how it will shape up- of course we have to listen to PG's lisp the whole time
Old 27 Sep 2003, 11:28 (Ref:731658)   #4
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is one interview that I don't want to miss. There will probably be some questions that he cannot answer since the pending sale of CART has not yet been approved. However, Paul should be able to shed a lot of light on everything.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:06 (Ref:734263)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
It's Monday... And I was actually able to remind myself!
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:10 (Ref:734270)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
SV's website is claming that Bernie E will also be on tonight's program.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:13 (Ref:734275)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie will be on tape -- so we can't call in and ask him about the caution flags at the USGP.

Gentilozzi ought to be very interesting. Can't wait to hear that!
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:19 (Ref:734280)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy (anybody else), are you able to listen to Wind Tunnel on the Internet? If not, can you guys give me a run down (important points) on what PG says.....I don't get Speed Channel.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:22 (Ref:734284)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Don't know about the internet... My guess is probably not.
I'll be at work during that time, and must set up the VCR, so I won't be able to watch it until well after midnight. But I'll let you know, if nobody else does...
Old 29 Sep 2003, 17:50 (Ref:734409)   #10
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, Macdaddy.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 23:30 (Ref:734688)   #11
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
One final reminder. Paul Gentillozi will be on wind tunnel in about an hour and a half.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 02:13 (Ref:734762)   #12
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada

By the way, Macdaddy.....I remember the history of trouble you have with your VCR!?

Last edited by Dov; 30 Sep 2003 at 02:14.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 03:41 (Ref:734806)   #13
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Here is the PG interview transcript....thanks to RaceGrrl at Offcamber.net:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/show...&threadid=2604

Last edited by Dov; 30 Sep 2003 at 03:42.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 04:45 (Ref:734821)   #14
gttouring
Veteran

really intersting-I don't know how i feel about the Hallowed Trans-Am series doing an Oval, and a las vegas street race? maybe if it was at night.
Paul has great motivation and alot to say, he is growing on me everyday. I would really like to see a better trans-am, and not to model itself after BTCC, because the Speed World Challenge TC tries that, but to make it trans- am like it is and always was, I wish a few other manufacturers would get into it, at least with their blessing- like use this engine block and since the ignition is controlled via spec MSD boxes, i imagine a spec fuel controller is possible to keep it in the cheap.
stock block motors-tube frame cars, and spec'd computers, seems like this coulf get even better for T/A -
I like how PG's has such an open mind to everyrace possible- Brands -crowds too small, Rockingham maybe (again)
Do the brands full circuit- or just go to donington heh heh-on a Motorcycle race weekend
Old 30 Sep 2003, 05:13 (Ref:734841)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Thanks, Dov!

And it's funny, because the VCR didn't end up taping, just as you had suggested! Seems the kids exchanged my tape with a Disney movie...
Old 30 Sep 2003, 11:25 (Ref:735204)   #16
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
One of the big things that the new group is trying to accomplish is establishing a "set" schedule that can be relied on year-after-year. That alone will be a gigantic step if accomplished.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 11:44 (Ref:735219)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I’ve been told, the interview was very upbeat and positive. At least the new ownership has plenty of solid ideas and has a direction of where they want to take CART into the future.

In Paul we Trust!
Old 30 Sep 2003, 13:12 (Ref:735309)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The interview transcript didn't include (or I didn't see it) the exchange on "merging" the two series. To my recollection Despain mentioned that Bernie had brought up the idea to TG of running the two series in parallel with a Superspecial "playoff" at the end or something. Gentilozzi made an effort not to laugh out loud when this was mentioned, then replied something like "Yes, Bernie did mention that to TG." And Despain asked, "Was he receptive to it?" and Gentilozzi said "Not exactly" with a rather knowing look. "Was Pook receptive to it?" Despain asked. "Oh," said Gentilozzi, "he knew Tony wouldn't go for it so he didn't even consider it."

Later on the Bernie interview he was asked about this and confirmed it, and when Daly asked if TG was receptive, Bernie looked rather embarassed and admitted, "No."
Old 30 Sep 2003, 15:01 (Ref:735451)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

Tony george keeps showin he is an egotist and a ******* for being so stubborn- everything is to line his pockets, the distancing from the original idea behind IRL, the abject hatred of CART and wnating to take it down, and no compromises whatsoever on his part-what is his problem, it would make him wealthier to merge, IRL would be the winner anyway, INDYcar is the name everyone knows-save for us who prefer and love CHAMPCARs