Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should FIA re-introduce slicks ?
YES, PLEASE !!! 38 95.00%
NO, NO !! 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Nov 2003, 19:06 (Ref:784468)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Slicks in 2005?

I read on I think it was Planetf1 or F1-Live, that Mark Webber has stated that slick tyres would increase overtaking and improve the racing.

The journo then went on to comment that 2005 could see the re-introduction of slicks in a second raft of FIA technical changes.

What do you think?
Old 15 Nov 2003, 19:27 (Ref:784476)   #2
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can but hope...........
Old 15 Nov 2003, 20:54 (Ref:784523)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree...is there anyone in this forum who'd object to the reintrodution of slicks?
Old 15 Nov 2003, 21:32 (Ref:784549)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sooner the better.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 00:23 (Ref:784676)   #5
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think blaming tyres alone is a little extreme. For instance, there's a good reason why Minardi's don't pass Ferrari's, and it's got more to do with the big lump of metal sitting behind the driver than the boots on the car.

The tyre war has provided interesting viewing this year, and it probably wouldn't have happened if everyone was on slicks. Some people loved the tyre war, and some didn't.

Formula One loses a lot of fans to Touring Cars, because people relate much more with touring cars. By adding grooves to the tyres, the average punter would now feel a little closer to Formula Ones, because their road car has grooves in its tyres too.

But yes, bring back slicks.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 01:02 (Ref:784693)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who's blaming what here?? :confused:
Old 16 Nov 2003, 12:48 (Ref:784970)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bring on the slicks!!!!
Old 16 Nov 2003, 12:51 (Ref:784974)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slicks just look better! Bring them on!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Nov 2003, 12:56 (Ref:784978)   #9
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, there is no question that FIA should permit a return to slicks. I doubt that it will influence the results as between teams one bit, bit it will eliminate one area where there is room for interpretation and misinterpretation of the rules. Specifically, the tire manufacturers will no longer have to worry about their tires wearing down to the bottoms of the grooves any more. Whie they are at it, they should elimiinate any measuring of tire width after the races too.

Old 16 Nov 2003, 14:30 (Ref:785008)   #10
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes please
Old 16 Nov 2003, 17:37 (Ref:785090)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The thing is, will the FIA also widen the cars back to 1997 spec?

Wider cars = more drag.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 21:04 (Ref:785200)   #12
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
be still my beating heart
Old 16 Nov 2003, 21:19 (Ref:785212)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2005??
But i want it nooooowwwww!! *cries like a baby*
Old 16 Nov 2003, 21:27 (Ref:785222)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a simple paln to improve F1.

Make the front tyres slicks, giving more front end grip but make the front wing smaller, removing all the air delfectors therefore increasing front grip but also drag.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:08 (Ref:786021)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big fat slicks...mmmmmmmm and wide track cars, bring back the monsters!!!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 16:33 (Ref:786157)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Slicks in 2005 ?

Yes or No ?

Please vote.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 16:40 (Ref:786170)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
YES YES YES!!!

oh BTW i voted for op no. 1

Last edited by ralf fan; 17 Nov 2003 at 16:41.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 17:50 (Ref:786230)   #18
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah please!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:52 (Ref:786315)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This seems like such a perfect plan, there's no way teh FIA would be so smart.

It would help overtaking, increase the driver's input into keeping the car on the road, remove one of the big areas of technical controversy, and jsut look so much better.

PLEASE!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 19:01 (Ref:786338)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bring 'em back!!!

Who voted no? Come forward and explain yourself!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 19:02 (Ref:786340)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
While we are at it why don't we widen the cars, remove the wooden planks, and just return to the 1993 regulations?
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:25 (Ref:786572)   #22
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh,for goodness sake!!
Anyone that thinks slicks will help the racing is an idiot-yes even mark webber can say something stupid it seems.

Someone,ANYONE show me how slicks will improve the racing.

Yes they look much better but that's it
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:51 (Ref:786604)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which in itself is a good enough reason IMHO!

As for improving the racing. Well there is a difference between it being the only answer and it perhaps changing the characteristics of the cars.

Certainly when first introduced the grooved tyres were less progressive and meant a mistake was rewarded by a sudden snap out of control. However since then the teams have learnt how to change a car to make the best of them, how best to use the tyres and also the tyre manufacturers have regained some of the lost ground (this has been helped by the tyre wars). Some of the progressiveness has returned.

I think in someways this progressiveness aids racing. Mistakes mean you are slow rather than off the track and wheel to wheel is easier.

Of course modern F1 isn't like that all the time with slicks or grooves. And I think the problem here lies in the fact that re-introducing slicks is said to be the only thing we need to do. Obviously this is not the case, however I do think it would produce a better F1 and I support the return. Albeit combined with other rule changes. Just changing the tyres is not the answer and if nothing else is done to the cars, maybe there shouldn't to the tyre rules?
Old 18 Nov 2003, 07:15 (Ref:786776)   #24
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the record i prefer slicks to max's pig ugly grooves.
But like adam says so well in his last paragraph-we're wasting our time thinking it would cure f1.
f1 needs a complete body transplant-nothing less will do in the long term.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 19:32 (Ref:787511)   #25
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldnt slicks mean greater mechanical grip, this reducing the effect partially of aerodynamic grip (or the importance of it) allowing the cars to follow each other better through corners giving more side by side action?

Or am I talking rubbish?