Old 2 Aug 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1671365)   #1
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Report: Ross Brawn to Go On Sabbatical in '07

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/30144/

I'd figure that's it for MS then. Without the brilliance that Ross brings, he's just another good driver.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1671376)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If this turns out to be true, well, indeed, it will be fascinating to see how things go.

I don't think we can read into it that it means Michael is gone, as Jean signed on for another year (means inconsistency if we are going to try use such things as an indicator).

Perhaps the idea is that Ross will return if it all goes nuts up, but will slip off into the distance if things go OK.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1671545)   #3
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps the idea is that Ross will return if it all goes nuts up, but will slip off into the distance if things go OK.
That's what i was thinking, but i also think this will have an effect of whether MS chooses to stay on or leave.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1671548)   #4
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC reporting a Ferrari denial.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1671551)   #5
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
The BBC reporting a Ferrari denial.
Quoting a Ferrari spokeman saying only:
"It's just speculation. We will know the structure of the team (for 2007) only after the end of the season."

That's not exactly a denial
Old 2 Aug 2006, 22:07 (Ref:1671554)   #6
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My apologies, I was going on what I had heard from a poster at another forum, I hadn't read the article
Old 2 Aug 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1671564)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah, I was just being picky. The content of the Ferrari statement is meant to make it look like he's not leaving...when in fact there is no official wording there that says he isn't.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1671583)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All that is tipping for major changes in Ferrari next season...
Old 2 Aug 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1671617)   #9
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp356a
Without the brilliance that Ross brings, he's just another good driver.
I agree in 100%
Old 3 Aug 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1671960)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With Brawn going, and Todt holding out until the end of the year, possibly meaning he's going as well, this could mean that Schuey's going as well. Plus, this could mean big problems for Kimi next year. Personally, all those who thought Kimi -> Ferrari would be a good thing for him could end up being completely wrong. It's one thing building a good car, but it's another having the staff to help...this could swing into Renault, and presuming he goes there, Webber's hands...you never know

But if there is going to be a mass exit of Ferrari staff, do you think Kimi may change his mind and go to Renault after all, leaving Ferrari without the 2 of the 3 best drivers in the world it had lined up?
Old 3 Aug 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1672019)   #11
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no doubting the importance of his contribution to the team, the reality is the only shoes that can't be filled belong to God.

They'll find someone that can do his job, who won't do it as well, but will do it well enough.

Next year Ferrari will have Kimi, a great car and homefield advantage.

I'm not worried.

Old 3 Aug 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1672024)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korr

Next year Ferrari will have Kimi, a great car and homefield advantage.

There's optimism for you.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1672710)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My mail is that neither RB or MS will be at Ferrari next year.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 00:43 (Ref:1672716)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mail ?
Old 4 Aug 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1672719)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Mail ?
Mail, you know - information, understanding, what I'm hearing .... mail.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1672720)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Sorry, thought it was mail.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 05:01 (Ref:1672774)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Late "mail" is a horse racing parlance... usually the tip for a race or some change in circumstance for a horse or jockey...

Ol' Clarence the Clocker would be proud
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Aug 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1672889)   #18
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
But if there is going to be a mass exit of Ferrari staff, do you think Kimi may change his mind and go to Renault after all, leaving Ferrari without the 2 of the 3 best drivers in the world it had lined up?
The Renault team is decided - so Kimi has a choice - go to Ferrari (where he has already signed) or beg Ron to keep him.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1672896)   #19
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
The Renault team is decided - so Kimi has a choice - go to Ferrari (where he has already signed) or beg Ron to keep him.
It it really
Old 4 Aug 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1672981)   #20
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheesh, is the new car that bad that like rats there all jumping off the sinking ship ?That's a major setback for the prancing horse and F1 if it turns out to be true.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1673057)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
We heard this type of talk about Ferrari being done, etc., before when Byrne decided to step back and let Costa design the car. After a year and a half of transition, Ferrari is back at the top. If Brawn takes a year off, then it'll be the same sort of deal. In the end Ferrari will still be on top.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1673063)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I believe so, but like I said, major changes are in sight, so it might take more time than before.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1673074)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jones
Sheesh, is the new car that bad that like rats there all jumping off the sinking ship ?
If Ross does step down the main reasoning is likely to be personal rather than any issues for the new car.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1673145)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I think he said that, and it's just about time.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1673273)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, were all of Ferrari's talents to depart at once then there would be a MASSIVE hit I am sure. However, the major players have consistently said that they have transition plans in place to minimise this.

Rory dropped off first, now Brawn will. Jean has signed a one year extension, which suggests he may step back after next year? I suppose Michael's role could be to do a year, or two, with Kimi as a team-mate so that when he goes Kimi is already well and truly settled within the organisation.

All in all, I expect, as, I think, any sane person should, there to be a bit of a cost in the transitions in the next couple of years. Whether it means the difference between winning and not winning or winning by a lot or a little, well, that depends on the opposition. The critical thing is whether one expects it to be putting the team into a decade of underachieving, or whether it will be a very temporary thing.

If you had asked me around 1999/00/01, then I would probably have leaned towards the decade underperformance. However, given how the team has evolved in recent years, I now believe that there is just too much strength in depth, in all areas, for such a thing to occur.

Last edited by Dutton; 4 Aug 2006 at 17:12.