Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Sep 2002, 18:39 (Ref:376730)   #1
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood 6/7/8 September 2002

Having chosen to spectate rather than be trackside, I was wondering whether any of you who attended would like to rate marshalling the event compared to other events and circuits.
Thanks,
Tim.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 19:16 (Ref:376770)   #2
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Beardy359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having marshalled the Revival for all except it's first year, I would make the following observations:-

1) Within the limitations placed on the meeting by its very ethos the marshalling conditions are not too bad. Yes there is a lack of permanent huts on post and the need to hide modern vehicles (fire trucks, rescue etc) may seem a bit O.T.T. but in my opinion does not significantly affect safety standards. From personal experience in the event of a serious incident assistance arrives as quickly as anywhere else.

2) The fancy dress element is not to everyone's taste but if you do not want to take part just ask for a post around the back of the circuit (3 to 11) and wear your orange with pride! This year was my first on a "white" post and I actually quite enjoyed it.

3) The campsite toilets were, are and probably always will be disgusting!

4) The working days are very long, with few breaks. This is perhaps the worst aspect of the event.

5) The racing is unbelievably good - hard fair racing between cars that were built to race, with a range of ex- and current professional drivers and brilliant amateurs. I had expected the evening race this year to be rather a boring affair, but it was one of the best racing experiences of my life.

All in all it remains one of my very few "Must do" meetings. This year I took my 12 year old son who wasn't very keen, on the way home he asked if he could come next year!

Last edited by Beardy359; 9 Sep 2002 at 19:22.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 20:05 (Ref:376810)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ok I have a question - and I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely interested/curious.

If they're so hot to trot on getting everything right, do they allow female marshals? After all, I'm assuming there wouldn't have been any such creatures in the time period they're aiming for?
Old 9 Sep 2002, 20:23 (Ref:376834)   #4
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Yes they do use female marshals, as far as I can work it out it's the "look" they are trying to achieve - monochrome advertising hoardings etc. to achieve a period feel. If it comes to it white overalls are just as "wrong" as any other colour, when I started marshalling in 1974 nobody wore overalls on the bank, my standard kit was jeans and combat jacket with a natty cardboard armband!

Marshalling is handled by the BARC and the event appears on their standard volunteer form, try it next year it's a unique atmosphere and some very good racing.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 20:25 (Ref:376838)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ooh tempting - if we can and we get accepted sounds like fun!

I have some of the films from BARC racing (at least I think it's BARC) from the late 60s/early 70s - they did a montage on Men & Motors a while back. Either you were IN it, or everyone wore jeans and combat jackets - and REALLY bad haircuts!
Old 9 Sep 2002, 20:33 (Ref:376851)   #6
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
If it was a really bad haircut and very dodgy glasses it was me, I have since changed my identity and killed anyone who knew the old me!

Seriously we all did wear that kind of gear. My first meeting was a Formula 5000 meeting in 1974 and post safety equipment included a grappling iron on a chain (for righting overturned cars) and a single long asbestos glove, the only possible use for which would have been carrying out internal examinations on burning cows! Safety advice was to wear natural fibres and strong boots, so things have progressed a bit in the last 30 odd years, if not very much.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 21:41 (Ref:376926)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
ROTFLMAO - did you get much in the way of burning cows?

I believe smoking was also compulsary - preferably a pipe?
Old 9 Sep 2002, 21:51 (Ref:376940)   #8
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Hi All

Getting back to the subject of marshalling at Goodwood (!!!!), yes I rate it as being one of the key events of the year to do. Obviously, in my current state I can't marshal, but did so in 1998 and 1999 at Lavant and Fordwater and loved the atmosphere, the sights, the nostalgia, basically I can't get enough of it.

Jackie was this year flagging at St Mary's, and from her post could see the cars from Madgwick through Fordwater to her post, and she loved every minute of it too.

It is a BARC event (Lord March is BARC president!), so I presume you'd have to volunteer through them if your not a BARC member. Yes, the days can be long (Saturday they finished with an evening/twilight race so most marshals who chose to stay on were on post for 12 hours) but the memories you go away with stay with you for a long time. After all, when was the last time you saw 30 cars all doing 4 wheel drifts, or a Morris Minor being outrageously driven sideways out od every corner, as we witnessed this year?????

Steve Tarrant
Old 9 Sep 2002, 23:12 (Ref:376999)   #9
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Seriously, if you want to volunteer for either the Revival or the Festival of Speed, both unique events that should be done at least once, write to BARC, Thruxton Cicuit, Nr Andover, Hants and ask for a volunteer form. The Marshal's secretary is Karen. You will then receive a complete set of forms for all BARC meetings, including such exotica as Gurston hillclimbs. You don't have to be a member to marshal, though if you do enough meetings for them you can earn enough meeting stamps to pay for membership.

Last edited by Beardy359; 9 Sep 2002 at 23:13.
Old 10 Sep 2002, 08:53 (Ref:377171)   #10
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For my money the Revival meeting is the best re-creation that one can expect – and the racing has since its inception been out of the ‘top drawer’! Period dress – easier for us observers than for the track chappies! Lady marshals – ah well, perhaps not quite 1950’s but where would we be without them? The crowd who are totally enthusiastic – cheer anything and really want to know what we are doing and support us (my partner – a lady flaggie type – was handed an umbrella by a family on Friday to keep her dry whilst she waved at the cars!!). All credit to Charles March and the team for making the dream a reality.

If you are as old as me then some of the cars you remember first time round (just!) and if not you can imagine some of these beasts hurtling around the circuit without the sophistication we have today of engineering, tyres, track and safety arrangements… It must have been awesome! But did anyone ever drive like Barrie Williams???

Finally, a big thank you to all members of my team at the chicane who cheerfully on three occasions attended to errant drivers who demolished our polystyrene concrete, cleared and swept the track and rebuilt the barriers all in the time it took for the racers to arrive back after another lap.

2003 can’t come too soon….
Old 10 Sep 2002, 10:42 (Ref:377260)   #11
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
No problem MrH, a most enjoyable weekend with yourself and Herr Neubauer.
However... did'nt we rebuild the wall four times?
Old 10 Sep 2002, 11:03 (Ref:377279)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Now, back to the topic in hand for young Foxy - is the marshalling as good? Well of course the actual marshalling is!

Communication seems a bit dodgy due to the backgound noise, maybe headsets would help, although of course this would detract from the desired look. Could this somewhat compromised communication be responsible for the somewhat (IMO) tardy appearance of red flags. (or was it just the usual BARC wait a lap and see what happens?)

As has already been said though, you are a bit exposed to the elements and there's no hiding behind armco. If something comes in and bits start flying, the onus is on you to dodge them. This may well be the biggest deficiency of Goodwood and could so easily be it's downfall. If (God forbid) parts of a car are spectator bound, theres nothing to stop it apart from some nice looking wooden rails at waist height. We at least have the room to move, not so for the crowd.

Flag points also tend to be remote from the main post, decreasing the cohesiveness of the team for the weekend and yet again compromising communication for the Observer.

Despite these misgivings and the absolutely disgusting sanitary provision in the campsite, I intend to carry on enjoying some of the finest racing ever seen.
Old 12 Sep 2002, 21:55 (Ref:379090)   #13
Snetman
Rookie

Snetman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well This is my first post here as I only found out about this site while I was at Goodwood.

I think every marshal should do this meeting at least once. I've been to them all and it certainly is the highlight of my marshalling year. Seeing such a rare collection of cars being put through their paces and the atmosphere is something I haven't come across anywhere else. Yes the problems that have been mentioned in other posts will probably always be there (toilets, exposure to the elements, communication etc) but they certianly won't spoil anyone's enjoyment. I always leave with a big grin. Can't say the same about the GP.
It is one place where you feel apprieciated' by spectator and drivers alike. Most drivers will acknowledge you at the end of a race, something even FFord drivers don't do these days.Did anyone there go to the presentation on Sunday night and hear Whizzo personally thank the marshals for being there? Many people standing around me turned and nodded or gave the thumbs up to me. That kind of acknowledgement means a lot.
Unfortunatly I shall not be at next years Revival as my girlfriend is going to make an honest(?) man of me at the end of August and we will be on honeymoon. (Although I tried telling her I had booked the honeymoon at a hotel in Chicester).

Steve B
Old 13 Sep 2002, 07:09 (Ref:379287)   #14
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
Welcome to the forum 'Snetman'- yes, you are absolutely right about the appreciation of drivers, and yes, Whizzo when he received his driver of the day award did especially thank all marshals.

At both the Festival and Revival meetings virtually all drivers acknowledge the waves of the marshals and single us out for praise at the prize giving ceremonies.

Such genuine appreciation makes all the days spent in the rain, cold etc. worthwhile - long may it continue!
Old 13 Sep 2002, 07:50 (Ref:379318)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
oh man I have GOT to do this next year

Body - how about earpieces with the mike on the cable for the radios? That would be fairly easily concealed unless someone was standing right next to you, so you'd get the 21st century benefits without spoiling the ambiance?
Old 13 Sep 2002, 10:36 (Ref:379438)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pumpkin, you have to do 2003. You just have to.

Incidentally, Goodwood this year gave me one of my most embarrassing moments ever. With a half-remembered mental checklist of who was going to be marshalling, I confidently went up to a vehicle during a quiet moment to ask if the rescue unit was being manned by a Teletubby. And they had no idea what I was on about......
Old 13 Sep 2002, 11:50 (Ref:379514)   #17
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously the wrong one then!

I was on the 'Doghouse Owners Club' sponsored unit!
Old 14 Sep 2002, 08:53 (Ref:380052)   #18
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Paul,
This was my 4th revival at Goodwood and I rate this as one of my top meetings every year. I have done 4 different posts and so have had a good view of the racing at different spots and the racing gets better every year. The ait display which is on all 3 days is tops as well.
I have already booked the hotel for next year and cant wait to go back for my 5th year. My only gripe is we do not get the medals/ metal paddock passes anymore as I was building a nice collection.
Anyway as the Asst Observer on the chicane this year with Al Heads a big thank you to all on post and flag post for all the incidents we handled and a big thank you to the Goodwood circuit staff in the tent behind us for all there assistance in reapairing the chicane.
This is a must do meeting.
Richard Sneader...
Old 16 Sep 2002, 17:22 (Ref:381708)   #19
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you all for your responses to this thread. I guess there are very few reasons not to attend next year.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 18:58 (Ref:381786)   #20
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
Actually, there is absolutely NO reason not to attend next year!!

A brilliant weekend is guaranteed (almost...)
Old 16 Sep 2002, 20:15 (Ref:381863)   #21
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood sounds graet and looked good on the telly on Sunday. Do you volunteer by contacting Karen at BARC or is it done another way.

Cant see the white overalls ever taking off though!!!!
Old 25 Sep 2002, 18:40 (Ref:388273)   #22
Beardy359
Racer

England
Wiltshire
Taking a lead from the "Stephen Green Big Boys BookOf Complaining", I decided to tackle his Lordship on the state of the campsite toilets etc. Below is my letter to him and the reply. Full marks to him for actually replying himself.

19/09/02

Dear Lord March,

May I first take this opportunity to congratulate you and your team on the recent Revival meeting, as someone who has marshalled at the last four events I can say this was the best yet. May you long be able to continue these very special events! There were however two significant problems this year which nobody seems to take responsibility for and which I therefore would like to bring to your attention.

As I have previously stated I have marshalled at the Revival for the last four years and on each a occasion I have used the marshals campsite, I have also marshalled the Festival of Speed and used the same facilities. On each occasion I have had cause to complain about the toilet facilities provided. The toilets are consistently few in quantity and, although starting clean and well stocked with toilet rolls, always in a poor condition by the second day. As two examples:

Festival of Speed this year, no power to the toilets from Friday night to Saturday night, therefore no hot water or lighting.

Revival meeting this year, only two sit down toilets per sex for the whole campsite, out of paper by Friday morning, awash with water soon afterwards when one toilet started leaking on every flush.

The situation is now regarded as normal at these meetings, and when I complain I get replies such as “What do you expect” and “It’s always been like that”. Well what I expect in the 21st.century is decent toilets to a reasonable standard, sufficient in number and kept in an hygienic condition. I am sure that you will recognise that with marshal numbers dwindling nationally it is important to treat the ones we have with respect, despite the disgusting sanitary arrangements I will continue to attend these meetings if I can, but many may be put off and not all of us can afford to stay in hotels.

The second complaint is the withdrawal of the medals previously given to marshals who attend all three days of the Revival. This may seem a small thing to worry about, but I know many people who regarded these as not only a nice memento but also as a symbol of recognition of their contribution to the event. Many proudly display them on their marshalling kit, or place them on display at home. In an age of increasing commercialism, where marshals are taken for granted they represented tangible proof of this special events inclusivety, of recognition that the marshals are part of the event, not just a necessary evil. I do recognise that such a gesture is probably quite costly these days, but could the marshals who wish to at least be given the opportunity to buy the medals? I am sure that many would as they already buy the miniature replicas sold in the circuit shop, and it would at least allow them to maintain a continuous collection.

Finally may I make one constructive suggestion? Many marshals commented to me that when camping at both events there isn’t really anywhere to go in the evenings. Most are too tired to drive into Chichester and there is no pub within walking distance, so it was suggested that if a small marquee could be positioned on the site with some tables and chairs it would give us somewhere to sit around with a few tins of beer and chat. I know those in small tents would appreciate it on a wet night!

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and thank you again for producing two of the most enjoyable and impressive motor sport events I have ever attended.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen Lister

His Reply

23Rd. September 2002

Dear Mr. Lister

Thank you very much indeed for your letter dated 19th. September, which I read with interest.

Firstly, on the subject of the toilets, what you have mentioned sounds quite unacceptable and I will look into it and see what can be done.

As far as the badges are concerned, whenever possible, we always try to give badges to marshals as a thank you. However, this year due to the increased numbers of sponsors guests and other VIPs, we infuriatingly ran out. We do endeavour to give marshals something each year and this year, I believe, we gave a poster to all those who kindly gave their time. As far as supplying replicas of the badges, I am afraid there are simply none to buy, otherwise we would have given them out to everyone.

I will also look into the possibility of a tent in the marshals area and see what can be done.

Many thanks for contacting me on these points, it is very helpful to know your views.

The Earl of March

I wish his Lordship well if he is going to lok into the Marshals toilets, I just hope he doen't have lunch first!
Old 26 Sep 2002, 00:28 (Ref:388530)   #23
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EP, you WILL be there next year. Do you realise i interupted my US trip just to come back for the Revival. Like LeMans it is a "must do" event on the callender.
I take my hat off to Lord March for taking the care and responsibility for getting it right ( and next year I bet the loos will be right too)
Just off to anpther GP, so will let you all know how that compares with "Octi-stone"
Old 26 Sep 2002, 07:51 (Ref:388644)   #24
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
LOL - suddenly I have some kind of bizarre Cinderella twist where the Fairy Godfather waves his magic wand and the PUMPKIN goes to the ball
Old 30 Sep 2002, 20:01 (Ref:392493)   #25
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This years was the first I've missed (5th wedding anniversary ) but I can say it is easily my favourite meeting of the year, and the only one where I flag wearing a blazer and slacks. Roll on 2003.