Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 25 May 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1309702)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Goodwood Revival - September 2005

I can book tickets on the website but I can't find what the rules are re dress and of course car to take. If I were to go I'd take the 1965 MGB (currently awaiting the swoopy new Stage 2 engine), which I believe means I could use the "Period Car" parking.

So what are the rules?

Also who's going so I can make my mind up.
Old 25 May 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1309729)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Peter, period dress is a must if you want to go into the paddock etc or the grandstands on the start finish area. Cavalry twill etc etc seems to be the order of the day or, WW2 uniforms etc.

I'll be there of course, wouldn't miss it for the world.
Old 25 May 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1309942)   #3
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dress is "optional", but:
- Strongly recommended, especially if you go infield.
- You won't get in the posh paddock (where the expensive machinery is) in modern dress.
- And teams & drivers will be a lot less approachable.
Though standards have slipped, you will feel a bit of a prat in the paddock if you don't join in.

The main thing is to make an effort. Even a modern, light tweed jacket, brogues & moleskins is a start. Next level is real period dress, if you can find/afford/justify it. Third level is something a bit fancy (RAF uniform, etc.). Oh, and leave the "white overalls and cravate" for actual mechanics.

Only period cars (IIRC, 1965 or earlier) are allowed through the gate. If you have the car, it may be worth looking at booking a space on the Lavant Straight bank. Otherwise, the car is not particularly important - it's for the drive down, not for through the day.

Hope to be there, pending arrival of our invitation.
Old 25 May 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1309982)   #4
HiRich
Racer

Also, Peter, don't get too hung up about it. Spirit is more important than accuracy. You've got enough time to have a think. Browse the web for images from the Revival, and perhaps take a flick through Counrty Life.

Headwear: Flat caps, fedora, boater would be fine.
Suit: If you have a dark blue business suit of a timeless cut, you could probably make that work - think classic City suits (so not '80s power suits). White shirt and tie, and your sorted.
If you go for more of a country look, a tweed jacket is obvious. A waistcoat will add to it. Corduroy or moleskin trousers will look fine (whether new or secondhand). A woolen tie and brown or grey shirt also works wonders.

Whilst I'm not well versed in such matters, ladies can do pretty well if they start from "the sort of dress I would wear to a wedding". For practicality (there's a lot of grass), court shoes rather than heels. And a nice hat. Lots of scope from "English rose" to "School Ma'am" to "hot Italian totty".

Also, make sure you don't make howlers with the details:
- Wicker hamper or satchel, rather than bright red nylon bag
- Suitable sunglasses, not Oakley Blades
- A mackintosh rather than Subaru puffa jacket
- Unbranded golf umbrella.

If you think about it, there's a lot of modern stuff about that will work for the weekend and still be appropriate through the rest of the year. If you are able to get up to W1, a browse around Gieves & Hawkes, Lewins, etc can turn up shirts, ties and perhaps (if your wallet can take it) a suit or jacket & trousers. As a B driver, you should really have a Christie flat cap anyway!

Again in London, Old Hat (who have a stall at the circuit) are on Putney Bridge Approach (Putney Bridge tube station) - just ask for Goodwood ideas, and they'll sort you out. It's also good for the ladies. Take the old dear down there, and get her to select your outfit as well. Though I would phone ahead, as their opening times can be a bit...erratic.
Old 26 May 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1310627)   #5
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRich
... it may be worth looking at booking a space on the Lavant Straight bank. Otherwise, the car is not particularly important - it's for the drive down, not for through the day.
Methinks parking on the Lavant bank is only available for GRRC members.

Wherever you park it's a fantastic time, and by dressing up you feel part of it, rather than just a spectator. Knocks everything else into a cocked hat.
Old 26 May 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1310667)   #6
HiRich
Racer

You may well be right. There is now a GRRC enclosure & period car park on the straight, but I thought there is/was also an area for non-members. I may be wrong, but can't check as someone has borrowed my members' pack.
Old 26 May 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1310683)   #7
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a pre '65 car park for non members but this is just outside the circuit albeit in a forward position. Tell the circuit when you book your tickets that you have an eligible car.

Do dress up it is certainly worth it.

By the way, you won't get in the main paddock, however you are dressed, without a paddock pass. These are, I believe, restricted to GRRC members and "honoured guests".

Go and enjoy!
Old 26 May 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1310754)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Peter, I ahve a fine tailor in Brighton who will fix you up . . . .you'll probably get change from a grand

seriously, I've gone tweeded (£6 harris jacket from a charity shop)

booted and suited, and we went farmer casual one year, amate of mine did the whole plus four bit, he looked bloody hillarious !
Old 26 May 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1310807)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRich
Lots of scope from "English rose" to "School Ma'am" to "hot Italian totty".
Er would Turkish Belly Dancer Chic do?
Old 26 May 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1311157)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
um.... not sure how many Turkish belly dancers made it to Goodwood in the sixties, Pete. I'd suggest investing in a jacket and tie like the rest of us.

Regarding paddock passes, yes, you'll need to know someone who is a member of the GRRC, but as the pass is in the form of a little octagonal card lapel badge, they're quite easily "lend-able" and so can easily be shared. If only the GRRC hadn't fouled up my membership details 18 months ago and dumped me back on the waiting list, I'd possess one now. Darn it.
Old 27 May 2005, 04:44 (Ref:1311261)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
um.... not sure how many Turkish belly dancers made it to Goodwood in the sixties, Pete. I'd suggest investing in a jacket and tie like the rest of us.
Hmm,

I wasn't thinking about me but now you come to mention it!
Old 27 May 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1311468)   #12
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
From about the beginning of August onwards the charity shops in Chichester tend to have a "Goodwood Corner" with suitable clothing in them.

Also in the Butter Market in Chichester is an emporiam called "The One Legged Jockey" which deals in retro clothing - everthing from tweed to gothic!!

It doesn't need to cost a fortune to get "the look". (Unless your my wife that is!)
Old 27 May 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1311500)   #13
HiRich
Racer

Quote:
um.... not sure how many Turkish belly dancers made it to Goodwood in the sixties, Pete.
Though I suspect five minutes with Innes Ireland would elicit a suitable story!

Quote:
Regarding paddock passes, yes, you'll need to know someone who is a member of the GRRC.
There are two Paddocks. The plebs paddock (my terminology) is freely open, and you access it through the road tunnel, which means regular waits for car to pass through. You can view the posh Paddock from the outside, but you do need a suitable pass to get really close. That means either the GRRC octagon badge or a Competitor armband. These also get you through the small pedestrian tunnel, which is useful. If you don't have immediate access to one, I would suggest you find a new best chum at the summer races or on here who will lend you one for an hour (perhaps in return for a bit of spanner work or pint of Spitfire waiting for them after their track session).
Come early September, I suspect there'll be a new thread here for "We're racing, come & say hello/Anyone need a hand?/Can I blag an armband, please?"
Old 27 May 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1311614)   #14
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made to Goodwood in 65 and 66,the scrutineers wouldnt let me race the E because the wood rim steering wheel was split even though I taped it up ,in 66 I stuffed my Lotus Elan into the bank just befor the 's'.I was leaving the 23's that I was practicing with,cant remember what my brother Frank called me.
They used to have beer stalls,counter was about 5 foot from the ground just high enough for me to rest my elbows on.Two guys came and stood either side of me and they must have been 7 foot tall,can still see my wife and her cousin rolling up laughing at me as I looked back at them,felt just like an over grown schoolboy!
Old 6 Jun 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1321199)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well the tickets have arrived complete with pre 66 car park permit.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1321312)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Blimey, they have released those early! I haven't got my tickets for the Festival of Speed yet and thats only three weeks away!
Old 7 Jun 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1322105)   #17
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Blimey, they have released those early! I haven't got my tickets for the Festival of Speed yet and thats only three weeks away!

Ditto - I have got tickets, car passes and paddock passes for the Revival and am still waiting for FoS tickets!!