Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Oct 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2319303)   #1
Simon Morris
Racer

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Simon Morris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where best to purchase MSA/FIA Flags?

Due to the slightly hit and miss quality of the flags that you find on post, I hope to treat myself to my own set for next season.
(no particular circuit, I add, I have found good and bad flags at all circuits)

Can anyone recommend anywhere these can be purchased?

Cheers
Simon
Old 23 Oct 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2319304)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From the MSA/FIA flag shop?

I think Demon Tweaks sell them, but I don't know if it is the best place to get them.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2319341)   #3
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here is good
http://www.sandyjonesracingflags.com/index.htm
bought the little ones for my slot car circuit ages ago
Old 23 Oct 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2319352)   #4
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember Al Green telling me he got a set from the States. A PM may confirm this.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 23 Oct 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2319367)   #5
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got my set from demon tweeks. £100 for them but i've had them for 8 years and got my money worths out of them.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2319381)   #6
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a friend who has made several sets for marshals- much more reasonably priced, pm me for details. They are very professional & lightweight.
Joyce
Old 23 Oct 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2319385)   #7
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure if the Demon Tweeks set mentioned above is a standard "on post" set, or the full set including black, black/white, meatball and chequered flags. Flags GB can provide the complete set (including startline flags) for £144; and the six flags for taking out to post can be bought for £78. All of the flags are 100cm x 70cm, and all come with poles.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2319391)   #8
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry, forgot to post the link!

http://www.flagsgb.com/shop/index.php?cPath=36_37
Old 24 Oct 2008, 01:06 (Ref:2319514)   #9
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make them your self, its not difficult and very cheap. I made a set for myself and MarkCh for about £30. Dowling from B&Q and bit of stain/varnish and some lightweight nylon sailcloth thats all you need. I can supply details for the purchase of sailcloth; offcuts are very cheap.

Old 24 Oct 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2319602)   #10
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could also purchase off cuts from Hot Air balloon manufacturers Cameron and Lindstrand.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2319720)   #11
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a link above for Sandy Jones flags in the US, which is where I got mine from, asking for a plain blue rather than a striped (US style) blue, I think if you ask for a surface flag rather than a chequered flag I'm sure she'll do that for you.

One thing to be aware of is that the yellow is the wrong shade, it stands out very well but it is a darker yellow than normal - I don't mind using it for club meetings, but for international level meetings I tend to use the circuit provided yellows to avoid any doubt.

Al.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-X-30-Pro-Quality-Racing-Flag-Set-7-flags_W0QQitemZ140276195230QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140276195230&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65 %3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2319745)   #12
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
As Al says, just be careful at FIA or very similar standard meetings. THe FIA actually state the colours very explicitly.

found it
http://www.fia.com/sport/regulations...article04.html

What I have noticed with some personal sets is that the red is not the required size. ie these sets tend to be all the same size - the standard 60 by 80 - when the red needs to be 80 by 100
Old 24 Oct 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2319765)   #13
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley
Make them your self, its not difficult and very cheap. I made a set for myself and MarkCh for about £30. Dowling from B&Q and bit of stain/varnish and some lightweight nylon sailcloth thats all you need. I can supply details for the purchase of sailcloth; offcuts are very cheap.

ripstop nylon is also cheap, lightweight, & doesn't hold water
Old 24 Oct 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2319798)   #14
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
when the red needs to be 80 by 100
For some drivers it should be 160 by 200.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2319944)   #15
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the prices you could get away with buying just yellow and blue-the most used -and just use the other circuits flags. there's nothing worse than trying to wave a sodden cloth flag!

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 24 Oct 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2320192)   #16
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always carry my own set in the boot,never sure what condition the circuit set might offer up
Mine are homemade,materials sourced from local markets,the hi-viz yellow proving to be somewhat harder to find but managed in the end
Haven't been to some circuits for a few years but can remember having to work with blanket size and weight flags (some poetic licence there ) plus those with broom,broken,square,plastic tube type handles
Must say that,imo, a lack of purpose built storage whilst on post and even poor care of the flags,plays it's part in their condition though
How many flaggies for instance, keep the flags 'handleup',leaving the flag itself on the ground,in all weather ?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2320200)   #17
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How many flaggies for instance, keep the flags 'handleup',leaving the flag itself on the ground,in all weather ?
Ah, thats where a clever piece of advice from Racegypsy comes in.

Fold the flag diagonally from the top outside corner down to the lower inside corner and then roll it. A piece of velcro will hold it closed and your flags will never dangle in the dirt ( queue wise cracks/witty tunes). When the flag is needed just rip the velcro apart, pull and the flag unfurls ready for instant use.
This method is by far easier than rolling the whole flag around the handle.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2320226)   #18
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer
Haven't been to some circuits for a few years but can remember having to work with blanket size and weight flags (some poetic licence there ) plus those with broom,broken,square,plastic tube type handles
Ah, you've been to Donington too!

I would love to get my own set soon. But I think that if I did, I'd also get a proper case for them as well to use as a rack on post. I know of at least one Marshal who does this.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 20:30 (Ref:2320231)   #19
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Ah, you've been to Donington too!
I was trying to be diplomatic
Old 24 Oct 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2320271)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a permanently damaged thumb courtesy of one of Donington's blue duvets attached to plastic pipe on a wet day. Putting off the day until surgery, but it will come in time. Doesn't make me feel very diplomatic, though.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2320426)   #21
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting discussion - we have diverse views about what to use but common opinions on the state of circuit flags!

I have carried a homemade Blue and Yellow for some time now. Persuaded a local sailmaker to run up some offcuts of ripstop nylon sailcloth. Comes in different weights but the lightest is fine. No problem finding the right colours. And they're colour fast - dyed cloth often fades.

Remember to allow extra for a pole sleeve when sizing.

Simple dowels from DIY shop and varnish plus drawing pins to hold in place. Easy to take off for washing. Bingo - a tenner each complete.

Carry mine in the sleeve for a lightweight stool

We sometimes forget the need to have a bit of weight and balance in a flag - start off with the stick a bit long then shorten to suit

Drawbacks - can be noisy when waved and in really strong winds they are too light. i'm 99% satisfied with mine.
Word of warning - they dont travel well by plane - not allowed as hand luggage and non standard size for the hold so they get caught on the baggage retrieval belt and hold back other luggage! Often do sprints, hillclimbs and karts so next time will have a red as well.

Others colours just work with circuit flags for occasional use.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2320697)   #22
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flags we use at Goodwood come from MBS.
http://www.mbsuk.com
Hope this helps.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2321119)   #23
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceswan
I have a friend who has made several sets for marshals- much more reasonably priced, pm me for details. They are very professional & lightweight.
Joyce

Another thread in Joyce's bow. I didn't know you can sow.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2321341)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Palmer
Another thread in Joyce's bow. I didn't know you can sow.
Sow as in seeds or as in female pigs?
Old 28 Oct 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2322461)   #25
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Sow as in seeds or as in female pigs?

As in seeds of cause.

If I'm to be in trouble I not need your help Dave.