Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2002, 21:26 (Ref:296944)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James Allen - the spirit of Murray lives on!

No, I'm not going to say that James Allen is a worthy replacement for the arch-enthusiast Murray, whose season round-up this afternoon only really went to show how badly ITV still needs him.

No.

I could never do that.

But I had to chuckle at James Allen's first truly nonsensical Murray-ism.

About 1/3rd of the way into today's Monaco Grand Prix, James commented on the tendency of the cars to bunch up in corners and spread out on the straights.

"...and that's what's known as the xylophone effect. Er - no, I mean the concertina effect...."
Old 26 May 2002, 23:28 (Ref:297037)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Are you ready.... Are you ready.... ARE YOU READY???!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"

Very good. The exit's on the left, James.....
Old 26 May 2002, 23:56 (Ref:297057)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I loved that xylophone gaffe - perhaps he was thinking of the cars crashing into the walls. And the are you ready screams are just pathetic. Can't James count up to 4?

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 27 May 2002, 03:59 (Ref:297111)   #4
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must agree with the repeating himself bit at the start, but he did cover himself quickly when he wondered out loud which "x"team car was coming in (can't recall which one) when the other had already gone out.
All in all, its only the repeating hyberbole that bothers me. (but which pales to the American hyberbole during the Indy 500 I just finished watching, and the giant "superimposed" photo of the present leader on the front straight, with perspective built in etc to let Mr and Mrs Joe fan to know who was leading etc)
Old 27 May 2002, 10:15 (Ref:297276)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"Which Williams is it?, oh, er, yes Montoya has gone out"

Tim, James did get quite confused. I don't think he understands the concertina effect anyway, so perhaps it isn't that surprising that he doesn't know the name. It seemed to me he was describing the time gap going up and down lap by lap. Rather than the distance gap changing under braking and acceleration! Martin, later in the race, described the concertina effect. I think to clear up any misunderstanding!

There was also a time when someone went through the chicane and it was awful. it looked like it didn't want to turn in and he rode the kerbs and really upset the car and James announced that he and the car where really driving well. Martin pointed out it was horrible!

But when DC started spraying the champagne:

James made a very strange noise:
"aaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss"
and he spurted too.

This post has turned into a bit of a hate James Allen post! I watched the race on ITV for only the second time this year and didn't enjoy the experience!

Martin was top though...
Old 27 May 2002, 10:58 (Ref:297331)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that man talks utter nonsense.

at least murray was loveable. ahh, how sweet it was to see him back. pray, how long before he returns...

Last edited by bella; 27 May 2002 at 10:59.
Old 27 May 2002, 12:18 (Ref:297434)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sooner someone replaces James Allen the better, why not switch him with Mark Blundell for this year, replace him with Ben Edwards, John Watson, better get David Hobbs from Speed Channel.

Anyone notice how Brundle kinda took over at the end of the race, he called the finish.
Old 27 May 2002, 12:22 (Ref:297447)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leave Ben where he is!
Old 27 May 2002, 14:52 (Ref:297573)   #9
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, Bring on John Watson!

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 27 May 2002, 17:16 (Ref:297713)   #10
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my vote for replacement of James Allen is Toby Moody & Jules from Eurosports motogp coverage.

Murray Walker can't wave a stick at these two
Old 27 May 2002, 17:34 (Ref:297732)   #11
Baby Spice
Racer

Baby Spice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He started to count a little bit too early, so he said: "traction control is ready!" which I think is quite silly.
Old 27 May 2002, 17:41 (Ref:297739)   #12
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hes not that bad in my opinion, he just takes some time to get used to - hey even Murray used to grate on some people...

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 27 May 2002, 18:23 (Ref:297772)   #13
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen does a good enough job. There are worse ones around.
Old 27 May 2002, 18:29 (Ref:297774)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree actually. He's awight...
Old 28 May 2002, 16:21 (Ref:298560)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please leave Ben and Wattie where they are . And Perry and Damon can stay with Sky as well . I hope Itv dont get hold of Ben . He is such a good commentator . He's exciting , has a lot of knowledge about racing and doesnt talk nonsense . ITV had there chance to sign him, instead they went for James Allen , more fool them . Ben does a great job on sky
Old 28 May 2002, 17:07 (Ref:298582)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where is Ben?
Old 28 May 2002, 18:08 (Ref:298608)   #17
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky Dig is also so much better in the studio department. I love the way Matt Lorenzo keeps ribbing Peter Winsor. Perry, Damon and that John chap, all know their stuff as well as being funny as hell. I have to say I miss Brundle quite a bit from ITV, but you can't have everything!
Old 28 May 2002, 18:42 (Ref:298642)   #18
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a chance to listen to Ben Edwards - he was pretty good. Wish he would line up alongsite Brundle at ITV. That would awesome.

Allen is just a moron in my book. The guy is damn irritating and Im sick of the "so Martin, what goes through your head - blah blah blah" line which has become a tradition during every broadcast.

As soon as I can get PPV coverage in Canada - Im switiching over.
Old 28 May 2002, 19:39 (Ref:298726)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now that i watch F1 on on Bernievision ,I do miss Brundle a bit . But if i had to choose between them , i would choose bernievision every time.
Old 28 May 2002, 19:43 (Ref:298735)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
I had a chance to listen to Ben Edwards - he was pretty good. Wish he would line up alongsite Brundle at ITV. That would awesome.

i heard a rumour that Ben had signed for ITV next year, you may yet be a happy chappie!
Old 28 May 2002, 20:03 (Ref:298762)   #21
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote of the day Monaco

Wasn’t Jim Rhosentile (whatever his name is) quote the best when referring to Schumacher’s sports personality of the year award?
Schumy said he would find somewhere very nice to put the trophy.
Jim said
“If you have any suggestions where Michael can put his trophy, please e mail us”.

Cool
Old 28 May 2002, 21:13 (Ref:298856)   #22
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't knock James...he's just stepped into the boots of the worlds best commentator ever...I think he's doing OK.
Old 28 May 2002, 21:38 (Ref:298887)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's doing better than I thought, I guess at first it was hard because I was so used to Murray. Still wish he would come back though!
Old 28 May 2002, 22:58 (Ref:298947)   #24
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
The sooner someone replaces James Allen the better, why not switch him with ... John Watson
Wattie's occupied. He's working for ABC.
Old 29 May 2002, 01:43 (Ref:299012)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he partners Ben Edwards on Sky Digital i thought?

Also, doesn't Ben Edwards do the BTCC commentary for ITV...