Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2001, 15:45 (Ref:159119)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen is to become Murray Walker's replacement at ITV F1 :( - It's official :(

*sigh* Never mind...

Below is the ITV report:
ITV pit-lane reporter James Allen is to become Murray Walker's replacement in the ITV-F1 commentary box, it has been announced.

James has been filling in for Murray on a number of races this year after four years working with the team.

Now he has claimed the ultimate accolade that will see him at the helm starting from next season.

He replaces Murray, who has retired after a 52-year career in motorsport commentary following his final race at last month’s US Grand Prix.

James was raised in motor racing family and has worked in the sport for 12 years. His insightful pit lane and garage reporting has established himself as firm favourite with F1 fans.

On receiving the news, he said, "It is a great honour to take on this role. There have been many excellent commentators in other sports, but in F1 there has only been one and Murray has done it so well and for such a long time. He is a true legend.

"It is a great challenge for the same reason, but I am confident that Martin Brundle and I can take the commentary in a new direction, hopefully to a new audience - entertaining and informing as we go.

"It is also a great time for Formula 1 because the sport is entering a Golden Age. Coming into the sport now is the most exciting crop of young drivers ever and the world’s leading motor manufacturers are committing themselves to the sport like never before, all chasing victory. I can’t wait to get started."

ITV Controller of Sport Brian Barwick added, "James is a very talented young broadcaster who knows the F1 scene inside out.

"Over the past two years he has commentated on grands prixs for us and we have received a warm response from the public and the industry to his performance behind the microphone.

"Taking over from Murray is obviously a huge task but we believe James is the right man to be in the driving seat."

The great man himself Murray Walker was also quick to congratulated James, "He has been a trusted colleague for the last four years and I am delighted for him. I am sure he will be gigantically successful."
Old 11 Oct 2001, 15:50 (Ref:159124)   #2
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Murray Walker: "I am sure he will be gigantically successful."
Another mistake by Murray....

Last edited by LucaBadoer; 11 Oct 2001 at 15:50.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 16:06 (Ref:159132)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Over the past two years he has commentated on grands prixs for us and we have received a warm response from the public "

From who????? Maybe we should have been mroe vocal about how much better Ben Edwards is.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 17:13 (Ref:159185)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: James Allen is to become Murray Walker's replacement at ITV F1 :( - It's official :(

Quote:
Originally posted by LucaBadoer

James was raised in motor racing family and has worked in the sport for 12 years. His insightful pit lane and garage reporting has established himself as firm favourite with F1 fans.

Err not quite...
Old 11 Oct 2001, 17:41 (Ref:159214)   #5
Ferrari Girl
Rookie

Ferrari Girl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh give the guy a chance.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 19:10 (Ref:159253)   #6
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant!
Old 11 Oct 2001, 19:40 (Ref:159268)   #7
Vipernoir
Rookie

Vipernoir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knackers...

I guess ITV lost my application form
Old 11 Oct 2001, 19:43 (Ref:159271)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Re: James Allen is to become Murray Walker's replacement at ITV F1 :( - It's official :(

Quote:
Originally posted by LucaBadoer
*His insightful pit lane and garage reporting...
1997 French GP:

"And the tyres are out for Villeneuve!...Are they Villeneuve's or Frentzen's?...Well, the good news is that it's stopped raining...oh, no it hasn't, it's absolutely chucking it down!"

Very insightful.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 19:57 (Ref:159278)   #9
Vipernoir
Rookie

Vipernoir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps that is a small ray of hope - he may turn out to be as *good* as Murray for making predictions...
Old 13 Oct 2001, 23:20 (Ref:160270)   #10
MickyHelm
Rookie

MickyHelm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think we shouldn't be so pesimistic in our views about James Allen. I think he will do a good job. He might make a few mistakes, but that will just be seen as fun like it was with Murray. I think that Murray's shoes will be very hard for anyone to fill, but I believe that with Martin Brundle as his co-commentator James can do a good job. One word of advice to James, don't try and be like Murray. Develop your own style. I really love Martin's commentary, I think he is very witty, and much as I will miss Murray's comments I am sure F1 on ITV will still be interesting. Good Luck James.
Old 14 Oct 2001, 02:08 (Ref:160305)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Lets face it, whoever took over from Murray was going to get a flogging. Murray was my favourite and always will be.

Just as when our favourite driver retires, it takes us a while to adjust our thinking to the new way things are done. We can't live in the past, and we can't have everything the way we want it.

In a perfect world, there would be no Bernie or Max, and Prost, Senna and Fangio would still be racing on the old great tracks and ....... Woops, started day dreaming for a second.

You know what I mean
Old 14 Oct 2001, 11:28 (Ref:160407)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I just discovered the perfect successor to Murray - the guy who was commentating the 125 cc's race at Philip Island together with Darryl (Mr Golf for Insomniacs) Beattie, but I didn't get the guys name.
He had two screamers : the first four bikes are all differrent makes, and they have different riders. {This was on lap 6 or thereabouts.}
Then we had : the bikes are so close together you can seperate them with a string.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 10:28 (Ref:161352)   #13
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I say give Keith and Julian from skysports the seats, with martin Brundle, or give Tiff the job. Or jeremy Clarkson, that would be an interesting partnership. better still, cox and Watty!But not James Allen, why, why!