Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Will we see a BMW - MG battle in the BTCC?
Yes! 4 40.00%
No! 6 60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 May 2001, 22:40 (Ref:99519)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MG vs BMW

As BMW are part of the ETCC rulemaking body, that means they will surely enter it. With close rules to the BTCC, does anyone else think we could see a BMW - MG battle on the track?

Last edited by touringlegend; 31 May 2001 at 22:43.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 01:01 (Ref:99554)   #2
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont reckon that bmw will ever come back to the btcc unless it got really really big.the only reason that i say that is because i have a gut feeling,but i am hungry so it might just be that.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 07:52 (Ref:99630)   #3
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
all these speculations!!

BMW has already stated, if they will return to Touring Car racing it will be on international level, not on national level!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 17:13 (Ref:99853)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even a privateer BMW team, because there very keen on that in the ESPC.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 20:09 (Ref:99929)   #5
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rover and MG are investing heavily in racing and they are out to win, to beat BMW would give them much satisfaction and if the MG 45 is anything to go by in looks it will blow the oppostion away.
MG will be a serious threat in 2002.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 20:14 (Ref:99932)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Did you know that it was the 'pay-off' money from BMW that has enabled them to race?
Old 1 Jun 2001, 20:25 (Ref:99940)   #7
Guy Goddard
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Did you know that it was the 'pay-off' money from BMW that has enabled them to race?
Yes it was and it wouldn't it be great to see MG beat the company that left them.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 23:25 (Ref:100025)   #8
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I wouldn't put it past a privateer BMW team entering the BTCC. As we all know , BMW Uk has never really followed what the germans have said. After the sucess [ getting there ] of the Lexus , more rear wheel drive cars could enter the BTCC soon [ hopefully ]. They could just buy ETCC cars and do the neccesary changes to make it BTCC compatable.
Old 1 Jun 2001, 23:37 (Ref:100034)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, an MG/BMW rivalry would be very interesting, a bit like the current Honda rivalry between Jordan and BAR.
I hope they get Mansell to drive the MG alongside Reid
and I hope they get Jo Winklehock to race alongside Me, in the BMW 3-series hatchback.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 18:28 (Ref:100236)   #10
Guy Goddard
Racer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sodemo
[B]I hope they get Mansell to drive the MG alongside Reid

If the cars a front runner Mansell's in the frame for a drive and this underlines MG's intentions of making a big impact. MG's decsion to run the car late in the year is deliberate to make sure it is capable of winning straight out of the box.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 19:30 (Ref:100250)   #11
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well with the new BTCC (and ETCC) rules then it is quite possible for an independent team to go into the series with any car they wish. With all the control parts its not that difficult to upgrade a car from SP rules, as ABG and JSM have showed. And so i reckon we may see a BMW in the BTCC in a couple of years.