Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 Aug 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1069398)   #26
Silver Dream
Rookie

Silver Dream should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers SevenGrain. Probably head on straight to NYC after race as I've fixed up an early meet next day.
Old 25 Aug 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1077214)   #27
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Questions for those Attending:

1. Where are you sitting at the race, in ralation to the circuit itself, and how high up are your seats????

2. For the "Veterans" of this event, what kind of a crowd does it draw???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 Aug 2004, 19:54 (Ref:1077346)   #28
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Questions for those Attending:

1. Where are you sitting at the race, in ralation to the circuit itself, and how high up are your seats????

I'll be sitting in section 5, which is very close to the start/finish line. I'll be in row 23, which I'm told is high enough to see the whole track.

When I ordered my tickets, the girl helping me said, that ticket sales are brisk, and the best she's seen since she's been working there. Figures, right, now that there closing the place! So maybe it'll be a sell-out?

Dumb question, but, can you get into the paddock on Sunday?:confused:
Old 26 Aug 2004, 05:22 (Ref:1077635)   #29
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I went to Nazareth every year from 1994 - 2000 and the crowd seemed smaller every year since 97. It was a sell out in 1994 (Mario's last race there, and Mansell still active in the series). New grandstands were added in 1997, and the peak attendance for CART was 45,000 that year. Since then ticket prices were higher every year, and the crowd smaller.

The dwindling crowd caused CART to dump Nazareth, and the IRL hasn't fared much better, despite lower ticket pricing. I believe last year's event drew fewer than 20,000 fans. Maybe the final IndyCar race in Nazareth will get more folks out...

Nazareth has long been one of my favorite tracks, and I'll miss it's unique layout with the elevation change on the backstretch.

In fact, I had the pleasure(?) of crashing hard into the turn three wall coming off the backstretch while attending the Bertil Roos racing school. I'm just glad I purchased the insurance offered!
Old 30 Aug 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1081599)   #30
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So....

Be sure to tell all of us how your weekedn was at Nazareth....

BTW....to GP Racer:

Does your wife have short brown hair????

Why do I ask???

Because I could've sworn that I saw you on the ABC telecast from a camera that they had in the crowd shortly before the race.....

and how did she like her first IRL experience????

Old 30 Aug 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1081903)   #31
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So....

Be sure to tell all of us how your weekedn was at Nazareth....

BTW....to GP Racer:

Does your wife have short brown hair????

Why do I ask???

Because I could've sworn that I saw you on the ABC telecast from a camera that they had in the crowd shortly before the race.....

and how did she like her first IRL experience????
Whoa, yes she does! Could it be? Was she sitting next to a good looking guy, that was wearing the only Kelley Racing hat, and Delphi shirt in the crowd?

I'm an idiot though, because I didn't tape the race, dohh! Can anyone help me out?

I'll tell you, we had a great time at Nazareth. What a great little track. I think my wife is hooked now, because she wants to go to more races now. I may have created a monster here! She's in love with Helio, although she was nice, and rooted for Sharp!

The fans there were very cool, good racing folks. It had to be close to a sellout, and they said it was the best crowd they've ever had there. The seats were great, as you could see all the way around the track, and we had a great view of the pit action, and Hornish's mishap, scary stuff! Man, was it hot though! We were wiped at the end of the day! They put on a great fire-works show, for the finale. The track employees were pretty sad to see it coming to an end, and they said if they only had crowds like this every year, they may not be closing. But there is some hope, as the Silver Crown series wants to race there again.

I will definetely be making some more IRL races. I'm already thinking of Homestead next year, because its a great place to be in the winter!
Old 31 Aug 2004, 01:42 (Ref:1082039)   #32
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
As for the race, I thought it was a good one. Every pass was well earned, and no passes were easy at this track. Hornish really made some great moves, and he looked very strong on this track. It was really noticable how good he looked out there. He should have won, but...

My only disappointment had to be the finish. Rice had worked his way steadily through the field, and was running in 4th, for about the last 30 laps, but he never challenged Franchitti for 3rd or better. Not the typical Rice/IRL finish we've come to expect. Maybe we're spoiled!

As for the cars, they all sounded good. But as others have said, those Hondas had a ballsy sound and some real grunt that the Toyotas and the Chevies couldn't match. It was distinctive.

This was an interesting track, that I think will be missed...

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Aug 2004, 06:59 (Ref:1082277)   #33
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for sharing your experience - it was an interesting read
Old 31 Aug 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1082804)   #34
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Did any of you spend time in the Paddock????

Meet any of the drivers or team members at any public sessions or autograph events?

Enjoy the IRL Fan Exhibit??? (It was there, wasn't it?)

Catch quals or parctice sessions?

Give us your insight on the "feel" of the event....that's half of the experience....

Old 31 Aug 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1082809)   #35
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To GP Racer:

The song of the 3.0 L engine is a little higher than it was with the old 4.0's and the 3.5's

I really like it a lot....a muscular sound that is not a NASCAR sound, but not whiney or screechy, either....

It reminds me of the Judd engines that run in sportscar prototypes....

Old 1 Sep 2004, 01:50 (Ref:1083302)   #36
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Did any of you spend time in the Paddock????

Meet any of the drivers or team members at any public sessions or autograph events?

Enjoy the IRL Fan Exhibit??? (It was there, wasn't it?)

Catch quals or parctice sessions?

Give us your insight on the "feel" of the event....that's half of the experience....
Well, my trip to Nazareth was only on race day, so my time was alittle limited.

When we arrived, we immediately walked the grounds and took in some of the IRL Fan Exhibit. It was pretty cool. I watched guys do some pit crew drills, and I took an IRL car for a "ride". That was great. We also saw Michael Andretti doing a question and answer style show, which was interesting. I waited around to meet him and wished him luck in his home race. It must have worked! Then we made the mandatory walk around to the vendors to get some things. There were quite a few there.

We did take in an early morning practise, and then watched the Silver Crown series race, which was pretty good also. Never got to the paddock, which I know was a mistake, but the day was flying by. Next time for sure, my wife needs to meet Helio! LOL!

I got a real good feel for the whole event. The fans seemed pumped-up on the IRL, like myself. I spoke to many fans that liked alot of different styles of racing, which means they were open minded, unlike the fans of another series I know. It seemed to draw alot of newer fans, but there were definetely some old-timers there, that had seen it all!

All-in-all, it was a great time. I, and it seems many others, think the IRL is on the right track, and there's some real excitement going on here.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1083821)   #37
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I met a lot of NASCAR types at Kentucky who were so blown away by the action on the track that they were asking about other races that would be close enough to get to...

Naturally, I told them about Chicagoland....

and strongly suggested they make a trip to the Brickyard next May...

Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:06 (Ref:1084107)   #38
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
It had to be close to a sellout, and they said it was the best crowd they've ever had there.
Judging from still pictures taken of the crowd on all 3 days it was no more than 30-40% filled. And was definitely empty on friday and saturday.

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/sel...th/Sunday_race
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1084111)   #39
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I spoke to many fans that liked alot of different styles of racing, which means they were open minded, unlike the fans of another series I know.
This is like a broken record. I like everything from Wesbank V8's to Formula Nippon to Euro F3, but somehow because some fans don't like the IRL we're not open minded? Where do you get this stuff from?
Old 1 Sep 2004, 20:24 (Ref:1084122)   #40
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I agree that GP's assessment is an inaccurate stereotype.
Some people enjoy ovals, others roads, not everybody enjoys both.
The average ChampCar fan also watches SportsCars and other various formulae.
Because they may not enjoy an all-oval series, does not make them close-minded.
In fact, IMO a stereotype like that is close-minded in itself.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 01:44 (Ref:1084343)   #41
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad you all had fun, GPRacer
BTW, did you get my PM? I've been pretty busy the last few weeks but hopefully, things will begin to settle down.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1085254)   #42
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
I met a lot of NASCAR types at Kentucky who were so blown away by the action on the track that they were asking about other races that would be close enough to get to...
The reaction at Nazareth was alittle different due to it closing down.

There won't be any ovals left in the north east now, and there was mixed reactions about making the trip to Watkins Glen. The guys I talked to really seemed to be oval fans, and I think there really going to miss Nazareth. I guess you don't know what you have until its gone...

Thanks MLM, it was fun, and yes I got your PM. I'll get one back to you soon.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 23:18 (Ref:1085401)   #43
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

There won't be any ovals left in the north east now

Isn't ISC ( NASCAR ) planning on building a track on Staten Island? I thought I heard that somewhere.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 23:36 (Ref:1085405)   #44
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Yeah, they bought some property there, with the intention of building a 1 mile track.

BUT, I think there's going to be alot of problems getting it done there. Enviromentalists, residents, and traffic concerns could put the whole thing in jeapordy.

I would love to see it happen, as I'm so close, but, I'll believe it when I smell the rubber and hear the noise!

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Sep 2004, 08:13 (Ref:1085641)   #45
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
Isn't ISC ( NASCAR ) planning on building a track on Staten Island? I thought I heard that somewhere.
This is the latest rumors/speculations/facts from Jayski regarding the proposed Staten Island track (warning - heavy reading at times);

ISC signs contract to purchase Staten Island land 3/4 mile? UPDATE, a map, 3/4 mile: International Speedway Corp., the country's largest motor sports raceway operator, announced yesterday that it has signed a deal to buy more than 600 acres of Bloomfield land to build the New York metropolitan area's first NASCAR track. Representatives of the Florida-based company told the Advance they signed contracts Wednesday with two companies to buy two adjacent parcels of land in the shadow of the Goethals Bridge, to build an 80,000-seat raceway. ISC officials hope that buying the parcels will lead to bringing NASCAR to a population and media market they've been trying to break into for years. NASCAR president Brian France and ISC president Lesa Kennedy are brother and sister. France has said he's eager to bring stock car racing to the New York City market. However, ISC officials noted they have no guarantee from NASCAR to run any of its premier Nextel Cup races on Staten Island. Once ISC closes on the land, the racetrack plan must still survive a lengthy approval process, complete with public hearings and an environmental impact review, before the city ultimately decides whether the races can begin. Officials insisted the track would only host three big race weekends a year. ISC officials said they'd like to see two Sunday races in the NASCAR's Nextel Cup series, the sport's top level of competition, plus one Indy series race, on the three-quarter-mile track. Some of NASCAR's other races, like the Busch circuit, would likely run on Saturdays during the big race weekends. Besides the races, the track would be available for events like car and boat shows or charity functions, officials said. (Staten Island Advance)(7-24-2004)

AND 2 1/2 miles? Preliminary talks are now taking place for the construction of a major new racing facility on New York's Staten Island. A number of different location have been discussed but the International Speedway Corporation says it is concentrating its efforts on a 440-acre site at a vacant industrial site on Staten Island's waterfront near the Goethal's Bridge, which links the island with New Jersey. The site has a good network of freeways which link to Manhattan and Brooklyn, by way of the nearby Verrazano Narrows Bridge across New York Harbour. The plan is to build a 2.5-mile race track, which would be similar in size to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and could therefore have an infield road course.(Grandprix.com)(7-26-2004)

UPDATE: looks like the 2 1/2 mile track rumor is not true, all reports indicate it will be a 3/4 mile track, which is what the drivers and fans seem to want. (7-28-2004)

Last edited by rustyfan; 3 Sep 2004 at 08:14.