Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Sep 2004, 15:54 (Ref:1084938)   #26
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Geez, I agree again Boots. To rhyme off numbers definitely misses the point here as clearly DC fought for every inch, and did it very well. I doubt Kimi would have done any better if dealt the same hand.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1085320)   #27
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
Geez, I agree again Boots.
It's not that surprising is it?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1085328)   #28
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
SONIC!! Its time someone spoke the truth. Heres a man living on his money, without the killer instinct; making the numbers up, wouldnt we all given the chance?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:09 (Ref:1085347)   #29
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djinvicta
SONIC!! Its time someone spoke the truth. Heres a man living on his money, without the killer instinct; making the numbers up, wouldnt we all given the chance?
What? like Rubens? or Ralf? or probably half of the grid? Get real. They all get well paid, they can't all win every race or be world champion can they? To accuse any driver of being a lightweight lazy chancer is a bit rich, considering the amount of fitness training, dedication and life threatening situations they all put themselves in every working day.

If they were after an easy ride, there are easier ways of getting it than being an F1 driver. Wouldn't we all given the chance? no we wouldn't. Even Schumacher nearly topped himself today with a puncture, no way his own fault, but it still happened. To belittle any driver is pathetic and childish.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1085808)   #30
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boots, you've made some sound points. Nevertheless I maintain that DC could have done much better with the bad hand he was dealt.

There are a string of reasons, ifs, buts, and maybes... but hasn't that just been the story of his career? There's always a reason he's not performing as well as his teammate or fulfilling his full potential. If he is indeed just plain unlucky, then hey guess what, Im with Enzo ferrari in feeling that i'd rather sign a lucky driver!

So to answer in the spirit of the original post. No I don't think Spa did help DC's future.

As for the others I think Pizzonia is promoting himself very well - hes a lucky lad getting a chance to flaunt his wares at this stage of the season. Massa is easily doing enough to keep his seat, Zonta and Klien pretty good too, perhaps not quite enough at this stage.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1085860)   #31
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Ron Dennis kept him on the team for 9 years of 'miserable failure'....
The DC apologists bring this up all the time Boots.Ron only keeps him for the great PR work + he's *ok* at driving.Kind of like a suedo 'michael & ruhbins' situation.

To be honest-in this race situation i was enjoying watching DC do what he did
Doesn't make him a winner though
Old 3 Sep 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1085934)   #32
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ron only keeps him for the PR?

Might as well employ Max Clifford, then.

David Coulthard is a bloody good driver - always has been.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 13:58 (Ref:1085948)   #33
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC is not at the same level as Kimi or JPM thats why RD is getting rid of him. Nobody doubts he is a good driver but not at the same level as the new drivers on the market.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1086112)   #34
RWC
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Ron only keeps him for the PR?

Might as well employ Max Clifford, then.
Who is max clifford?

Oh well...i'm sure he's better than DC
Old 3 Sep 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1086115)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Max Clifford is one of the world's leading PR men.

Your second line shows that you have a blinkered view on the issue of Coulthard which is unlikely to be altered by any facts.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1086149)   #36
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mstar
DC is not at the same level as Kimi or JPM thats why RD is getting rid of him. Nobody doubts he is a good driver but not at the same level as the new drivers on the market.
I actually agree with this - both Raikkonen and Montoya seemlike better bets for next year, and both had more impressive Spa races than DC. I'm no blind DC fan after all.

However, can you honestly say DC isn't among the top 20 drivers in the world? He's showed time and again that he can take results, and I'd rather have him doing the talking than Max Clifford.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1086152)   #37
RWC
Veteran

*Edited*

The cliford thing was a joke of course

And don't lecture me about facts.DC fans are the worst around for ignoring facts

Last edited by RWC; 3 Sep 2004 at 17:39.
Old 5 Sep 2004, 09:34 (Ref:1087212)   #38
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think DC is still in the top 10 drivers in the world. IMO there are only 10 or so drivers that actually deserve a seat and DC is one of them. Look at the rookies over the last two years. Wow look at da Matta what a champ. Wilson was OK, a bit unlucky not to have a seat. Firman-not good enough, Kiesa-slow, Pizzonia-i think he did OK. This year has been worse. Klien-OK, about Wilson level, Pantano and Burni-rubbish, Baumgartner-slow but consistent at least. Glock is still unproven.

And now I'm putting my head on the chopping board here and I'm going to name the 10 or so that deserve a seat.....

In a different thread! so watch for it...
Old 5 Sep 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1087266)   #39
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If there was ever any doubt in the minds of those who matter (i.e. the team bosses), Coulthard's performance at Spa should have been enough to remove it. He showed speed, determination, experience and no lack of motivation. All the characteristics of a top driver. Yes he has been overshadowed by his team-mates at McLaren, but Hakkinen and Raikkonen are no ordinary drivers. Yes, Coulthard will now never win a WDC, but remarkable as it may seem to some of you, the huge majority of highly talented F1 drivers never do - it's the privileged few who achieve that ultimate accolade. I think Coulthard may have one or two more wins in him - it'd be a shame if he remained stuck on unlucky 13. Oh and yes, 13 - that's almost as many as the rest of the grid bar Schumacher put together, admittedly over a long career but still a fine achievement.

So to answer the question, yes Spa helped DC's cause, though I think it merely cemented his credentials rather than changed minds. As for the others, I don't suppose Sato did himself any favours, Massa did superbly well which could help him alot - I don't think his Sauber seat is secure. Same goes for Klien.
Old 5 Sep 2004, 10:49 (Ref:1087276)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

David Coulthard is rated much more highly in the paddock and among those who matter than he is on these forums.
Old 5 Sep 2004, 21:09 (Ref:1087666)   #41
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It was so SAD for Pizzonia. Maybe.... well, i don't know! Wait and see!
Old 6 Sep 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1087980)   #42
mstar
Racer

The way i see it, he doesn't have the outright speed of top drivers i ALWAYS thought he is the best number 2 in F1 alongside a quick world champion/contender

Last edited by mstar; 6 Sep 2004 at 10:29.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1088252)   #43
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know a certain test driver who did well at Spa...does he count? Or have we only eyes for the lucky ones who have a race seat already?
Old 6 Sep 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1088255)   #44
mstar
Racer

well considering DC was paid very healthly in his Mclaren years i don't think he will get anyone now matching what he is on now at Mclaren
Old 6 Sep 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1088421)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
The DC apologists bring this up all the time Boots.Ron only keeps him for the great PR work + he's *ok* at driving.
So after all these years has Ron had a change of heart and decided to employ two potential champions, both of who are not the best at PR? Also before DC drove at McLaren, the team didn't have a record of only employing a PR driver. Circumstances always play a part. It isn't always best out there, more best available and a few years the choice was poor.

As I have said before I am surprised at DC lasting so long at McLaren. If it had been up to me I would have had a different person most (maybe all) the years he was there. However I think the most likely reason that McLaren chose him is because they thought he was the best race driver available (irrespective of PR). I disagree with that, but I always give DC credit for that.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1088487)   #46
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
David Coulthard is a bloody good driver - always has been.
He is very good at what he does, just like Tim Henman but not good another to win the championship.
A similar quote by Bernie Ecclestone.

Last edited by luke; 6 Sep 2004 at 21:00.