Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 27 Oct 2004, 04:02 (Ref:1137293)   #1
svann
Rookie

svann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USA hillclimbs

Here are a few links for USA hillclimbs: www.snowshoehillclimb.com www.pahillclimb.org www.blueridgehillclimb.org www.svvscc.org

As you can see Pikes Peak is not the only hillclimb we have over here. I pick up copies of Race Tech magazine occasionally and am amazed at some of the hillclimb specials. Is there a good DVD of hillcimbing available?

Stan Vann

Last edited by svann; 27 Oct 2004 at 04:09.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 05:20 (Ref:1137311)   #2
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillclimbing is the same here Australia
The Sedan with a wing is in the Sports Sedan class.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vidore/...the%20hill.jpg
An Openwheeler...
http://www.gippsland.net.au/gcc/imag...Brabham_sm.jpg
More traditional openwheeler
http://www.gippsland.net.au/gcc/imag...gumley2_sm.jpg
Old 27 Oct 2004, 05:40 (Ref:1137322)   #3
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Virgina City ........ before gaurd rails .....

Tony
Old 27 Oct 2004, 06:24 (Ref:1137344)   #4
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Another VW Hillclimber closer view of engine.
[URL=http://www.users.bigpond.com/vidore/Mark%20Primmer's%20MP97.jpg]

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 27 Oct 2004 at 06:27.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 06:44 (Ref:1137358)   #5
Robert Ryan
Veteran

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vidore/...9;s%20MP97.jpg

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 27 Oct 2004 at 06:53.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 07:18 (Ref:1137385)   #6
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like some fun cars race over there as well.
I would love to be able to go abroad and marshal a couple of hills...........That would be a real buzz I reckon.

I noticed in one of the pics what looked like a Jedi motorbike engined single seater.....They are very popular over here as well..

If anyone does find a dvd/video of American/Australian hillclimb action I would be interested to have a peek at it myself..

Old 27 Oct 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1137548)   #7
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting thread. Many of us in the UK would like to know lots more about hillclimbs in the US and Australia.

If you have any more US club or event websites lets have them.

If you want to have a look at elements of the very active British scene go to www.top12runoff.co.uk and you will find lots of links from there, although the list is not exhaustive.

On the edge of the thread I did hear a conversation between Willem Toet, Mike Pilbeam and an unamed Australian man concerning Willems desire to take his Pilbeam MP88 to Australia to contest the National Championship this November. I dont know if anything came of that.

Eddie
Old 27 Oct 2004, 11:59 (Ref:1137674)   #8
Robert Ryan
Veteran

ranoff have not seen anything on it.
Here is something from the CAMS site.
http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?P...&ObjectID=9418
Old 27 Oct 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1137696)   #9
Robert Ryan
Veteran

In New Zealand you have the Silverstone Race to the Sky
http://www.racetothesky.com/gallery/...jima1stlge.jpg
A Big Truck
http://www.racetothesky.com/gallery/2003_porterlge.jpg
ustralian Special that actually came 3rd
beating Steve Millen in his Toyota Tundra
Light Trucks
http://www.racetothesky.com/gallery/...lvesterlge.jpg
Rod Millen, Steve's brother getting air in a light Truck. Both Brothers came back to NZ to do the event.
http://www.rodmillen.com/images/Spor...ueenstown4.jpg
Old 27 Oct 2004, 12:35 (Ref:1137702)   #10
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Steve Riley's
Australian Special
http://www.racetothesky.com/gallery/2003_Rileylge.jpg
Old 27 Oct 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1137760)   #11
Paul Ranson
Racer

Paul Ranson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've missed the closing date for the Australian Championship this year...

It would be great to take a UK spec car, but I think the dates could be tight unless we used air freight.

Paul
Old 27 Oct 2004, 23:30 (Ref:1138363)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've seen bits of Australian hill-climbing on Sky TV, but it was all rally car style with pace notes. Having seen bits of the Queenstown race for the sky I'd assumed that was how it all was, but I see now that there are climbs similar to here. I'd love some more information, so how about posting some of your experiences, Stan? (Amd anyone else, of course)
Old 28 Oct 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1138967)   #13
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the worldwide front this might be a suitable thread on which to mention that Woolley and I both know that next year is the centenary of Shelsley Walsh, the Grand-Daddy of all hills.

It would be nice to see some drivers from around the world actually driving at the celebration and I will put this to the MAC Marketing Committee at the next meeting.

The logistics of transporting cars may be too difficult and costly but how about an on the day car sharing arrangement with a small number of UK drivers to run on the Sunday of the Festival weekend? I can think of a couple of drivers of slightly more historic cars who might be willing.

There is a picture of a fantastic multi winged special on one of the sites listed by Stan and to see this at Shelsley would be amazing. It looked to me like the Red Barons triplane on four wheels!

I may start a thread on the Shelsley Centenary to post accurate news cleared by the MAC and would welcome advice as to where this should sit on the forum.

Eddie
Old 28 Oct 2004, 23:10 (Ref:1139367)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by ranoff
There is a picture of a fantastic multi winged special on one of the sites listed by Stan and to see this at Shelsley would be amazing. It looked to me like the Red Barons triplane on four wheels!
Looks awesome, doesn't it? I thought the late lamented Tom Hammonds held the records for wings, but that is one beastie I'd like to see in action. Can anyone tell me if it goes like it looks (please tell me it's a growling V8!)
Old 30 Oct 2004, 02:11 (Ref:1140317)   #15
svann
Rookie

svann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Gang,
If you are referring to the black #11 on the Blueridge Hillclimb pages; that would be George Bowland. His son Todd is the race engineer for 2004 Indy 500 winner Buddy Rice. Todd designed George's car and George built it. George is a 6 time A mod SCCA Solo 2 national champion. This car is actually specificly designed for Solo 2 or autocross. Autocross is generally limited to very tight courses in which top speeds are under 90 MPH. I first met George and Todd back in the early 80s. Todd was a first year college student at Virginia Tech and they had just built their first winged autocross car, a shortened Tui Super Vee with wings and a supercharged engine. Of course everyone laughed at the idea of wings on a car which ran only on tight autocross courses. Well over the next 20 years they have built 3 more chassis and won 7 National Championships in the unlimited A Mod class. This class, by the way, is one of the few classes in modern motorsport which allows the freedom to try new ideas. It basicly only requires four wheels with a 700lb. minimum weight. I think it is great that there is one class left that allows some degree of creativity. You may remember that Road & Track magazine held a Skidpad Challege for a couple of years to see who could pull the highest Gs on the standard 200 ft diameter skid pad, a few years ago. Well George won that both years, against all kinds of vehicles. The current car has been developed with wind tunnel and IRL data collection. I have more photos and have discussed doing an article on it for Race Tech or Racecar Engineering with Simon McBeath. BTW it is powered by a 900cc modified Artic Cat 2 cycle snowmobile engine with CVT drive. George basicly runs only the hills with very tight corners and short straights. I do wish we could easily travel to each others events. Most of our hillclimbs are over a mile in length with Duryea in Pennsyvania at 2.5 miles the longest I run. I drive a vintage 1970 Caldwell D9 formula ford on current slicks. A very close cousin of the Meryln Mk. 11, I'm told. We are starting to see Avon road race tires over here, but not in the hillclimb compounds. I use the Hoosier R25A which is a soft autocross compound. I'd like to test the hillclimb Avons however.
Stan Vann