Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1180224)   #26
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there is a bit of wrong info in here - there was talk of excepting any former WCC team, but McLaren (understandably) didn't vote for that particular change, according to Frank Williams, who also said you could hardly blame them.

By the way - Toyota will be proving their doubters wrong very soon, mark my words. They have yet to complete a single mile in a purely Gascoine car - and also you have to bear in mind that anyone who expects big results quickly from a virgin team is seriously underestimating the phenonemal competititiveness of F1. See the BAR example - it takes years and dollars - not one or the other, but both.

Looking at the current situation, especially the drivers that McLaren have locked into testing contracts, we can also see why that team favoured the rule that experienced drivers were ok for Friday sessions, provided they hadn't raced for a couple of years (as opposed to rookies only). The teams only vote for what's in their own interests.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 16:00 (Ref:1180233)   #27
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OT - It has been suggested elsewhere that Toyota could do a lot worse than bring Prodrive/DR in to run the team...No one doubt's their lack of resources, just their ability to convert them into a cohesive force, as they are severly lacking in 'motor racing' people at the top.

I'm very much in wait and see mode for a full Gascoyne car, I'm sure it will be good.

OT - apologies - back to McLaren - take it away!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1180281)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The difference is that when Ron made his track-cleaners comment, the session for the 3rd driver to run in was a separate one, early on Friday morning.

These days, the 3rd driver runs all day Friday, in the same sessions as everyone else.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 08:04 (Ref:1180784)   #29
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Dead serious. McLaren have blocked Wurz trying out for other teams - he always toes the party line and doesn't blurt to the press - but he does hint at what is going on. .

Wurz, to the best of my knowledge, has never received an offer from a competitive race team. Only Jaguar wanted him, and he was wise enough not to go down the Rosa/Pizzonia/Burti/Wilson/Herbert route of being a short lived No2 in a short lived No 8 team.

Have Renault ever asked him back? No. Have Ferrari, Williams, Toyota, BAR or anyone else who may offer a decent drive shown they have the hots for Wurz? No. Have McLaren ever thought him worthy of a race seat even when they had him under contract? No. They chose Kimi in 2001 and JPM this year over Alex.

With no obvious opportunities to race, Wurz is best doing what he does best. If he can't test the 05 car for whatever reason, I'm sure being part of the Mercedes world would be of greater benefit to him (DTM, future McMerc projects etc) than being in a pay drive at Jordan for example.