Old 25 Jan 2005, 07:33 (Ref:1209235)   #26
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I remember that, but I thought it was actually the last race of the season? (first stint) Do you remember exactly what he said?
He said something to the effect of the Ford engine being a piece of you know what.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 07:56 (Ref:1209250)   #27
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
From Ac:
macdaddy might remember, but doesn't RG occasionally patrol these forums?
Not to the best of my knowledge, Ac. But to ask anything from my memory is a real long-shot to begin with! I can only think of two drivers that I am reasonably sure browse these CC/IRL boards. Of course, that is not to say that others don't, as I'm willing to bet that some do.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1209630)   #28
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, I don't remember that stuff. All I remember is an interview where he said he was going to Nascar because he didn't believe Ford would be competitive in CART.

So who are the drivers that you think look at these boards?
Old 26 Jan 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1210533)   #29
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember reading an interview from when he first went to NASCAR in 1996 and his reasoning was that he could stay with Ford in CART and be non-competative or he could move to NASCAR and try to have a good car. I remember the article saying that he pushed for a different engine for his car, but his team was stuck with Ford or something like that. When he went to NASCAR he of course landed with a mediocre team and his first NASCAR attempt didn't last very long. Now that he has started his own NASCAR team he should at least be happy since he can do whatever he wants. But I don't think he stands much of a chance of being competative with a small single car team in NASCAR.

J.D.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1210605)   #30
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robby Gordon has grown up quite a bit since the incidents mentioned above....

and concerning the 1999 Indy 500....he didn't dominate it until about lap 163....

He was completely hooked up and was the fastest car on the track...he lost that race because there was a yellow at about lap 168 and he had just stopped a few laps earlier....the team thought for sure there would be another yellow, so they kept him on the track...

Robby wanted to do a splash & go, and would have retained the lead...but the crew kept him out...and thus he ran out of fuel on the 2nd to last lap...

Personally...I think his best discipline would be sportscar endurance racing....in the ALMS....and I think he would excel if he did go that route...

But I will tell you this...I've seen Robby Gordon make passes at Indy (pre-split and post-split) in places on that track where I have NEVER seen another driver put a race car and make the pass happen....

But I think he is wasting his time in NASCAR....

If I ever hit Lotto, I'm paying his salary to run an LMP1 prototype...

Sebring

Le Mans

Petit LM

and the rest of the ALMS season...

He is a born natural for that form of racing...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 26 Jan 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1210625)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For those who get it - tomorrow's Autosport magazine has an excellent article on Robbie, his Dakar run and his plans for this year.

His enthusiasm really comes over.

Great stuff!
Old 27 Jan 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1211573)   #32
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Tim, I agree with you here! His talent for "knowing" the car born during his off-road days is ideal. Plus he has the raw speed to turn in those blistering laps for qualies or when the team needs to put their heads down and push hard to build/capture the lead.

Definitely would pay to see him do an LMP-1 car!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1211610)   #33
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
He is two-time overall winner of the Baja 1000. He's won ChampCar races and NASCAR races. He's won tons of races in tons of categories.

Robby Gordon is a true racer, IMO. He could drive the wheels off of anything you give him the keys to.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1211635)   #34
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That doesn't say much macdaddy, as most race cars don't have keys.
Old 29 Jan 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1212506)   #35
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
He is two-time overall winner of the Baja 1000. He's won ChampCar races and NASCAR races. He's won tons of races in tons of categories.

Robby Gordon is a true racer, IMO. He could drive the wheels off of anything you give him the keys to.
Totally agree with this. And to add to this (as mentioned by someone in this topic) he's kind of like a Jean Alesi. I would really like to see him in a good team in either CC or IRL. He'd be contender imo.