Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 3 Mar 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1240891)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Changing Fuels by 2007

Strange that I can't find it on the IRL's website, but the IndyStar has the story.

Quote:
Indy cars will use a fuel made of grain beginning in 2006, officials from the Indy Racing League confirmed Wednesday.

Ethanol, which is renewable and biodegradable, will be used as a 10 percent mixture with methanol - a synthetic mixture - next season and used exclusively in 2007.

The switch to ethanol is not expected to change the sound, smell or performance of the cars. Ethanol hasn't been used in Indy-car racing, although another grain-based fuel known as ethyl powered the car of Leon Duray in the 1927 Indianapolis 500.
I'm curious about the differences between the two fuels. And I'm curious as to what changes must be made to the engine designs to accomodate it. Does ethanol have the same cooling-effect as methanol, for example? Would the engines need better cooling systems to compensate? Is ethanol corrosive (I don't think so)? What is its flashpoint, and is the flame visible?

At any rate, this is great news for the ethanol industry. I live in the middle of "corn country", and less than ten years ago a massive ethanol plant was built just four miles from my house. Last year, local media reported that plans had already been approved to expand the plant and double production. Ethanol is quite-commonly blended with our gasolines here in Canada. It burns cleaner and helps the environment, without affecting performance. It is also less expensive to produce, and helps to ease our reliance on OPEC. Helps the farmers out, too.

I think this is a great thing. But that's just my two cents.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1241168)   #2
trow
Racer

United States
Indianapolis
trow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that's nothing new, they've been burning rice for years.

Old 3 Mar 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1241451)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
More can be found here.

Quote:
It is expected horsepower will drop slightly, and fuel economy improve also by a slim margin.
The ethanol industry is also sponsoring Paul Dana's team.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1241810)   #4
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is real good news for the IRL. I'm sure this group of ethanol companies wrote a nice little check to Mr. George's league. A deal has been in the works for sometime.

This story was on the front page of the Minneapolis Star Tribune today, March 3rd.

Its great to have the annoucement in Washington DC near the US Congress.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Indy racers are out to prove that performance can be Earth-friendly at 220 miles per hour.

Backed by a consortium of Midwestern ethanol companies, including Fagen Inc. of Granite Falls, Minn., the Indy Racing League will announce today that its 17-race IndyCar Series, including the Indianapolis 500, will use ethanol-blended fuels next year.

The announcement is fueling excitement among corn growers in Minnesota, where 13 of the nation's 98 ethanol plants are clustered.

"It lends credibility to ethanol as a viable fuel for any use," said Minnesota Agriculture Commissioner Gene Hugoson, a Martin County corn farmer. "One of the things that's always raised about ethanol is that it affects performance," he said. "This is an organization that thrives on top performance, so I think this will help dispel that problem."

Indy officials say their target for the 2006 season is a maximum blend of 10 percent ethanol, the same blend mandated for cars in Minnesota. But starting in 2007, they say, the fuel will be 100 percent fuel-grade ethanol.

The Indy racing decision won't significantly affect ethanol sales as much as it will be a helpful marketing tool.

Hearts racing

From a racing perspective, the industry's not-so-green environmental image could benefit from a connection to ethanol.

Indy officials are promising racing fans that they won't notice the switch to ethanol from methanol, a natural gas-based racing fuel that has been used since the 1960s.

"Our cars won't sound differently, smell differently or run differently," said Phil Casey, the Indy Racing League's senior technical director.

That kind of talk gets hearts racing in the ethanol industry, where advocates have been struggling for retail acceptance in the face of public skepticism over engine fuels derived from corn, sugarcane stalks and other plant matter associated more with vodka and moonshine than internal combustion.

'A coup'

The announcement, planned outside Washington's Union Station near Capitol Hill, underscores the political significance of the move, which could have ripple effects in the national and Minnesota debates over ethanol.

"It's a coup for them," said Frank O'Donnell, president of Clean Air Watch, an environmental group that recently protested the use of leaded fuel in NASCAR racing.

Congress is currently deliberating a nationwide energy bill with controversial ethanol mandates that are unpopular with some legislators from California and the East Coast, as well as with those from the oil- and gas-producing regions of Texas and Oklahoma.

In Minnesota, Gov. Tim Pawlenty has proposed that the state double the required ethanol in gasoline to 20 percent by 2012. The Senate has approved the measure and it is advancing in the House.

Ethanol has been promoted as a clean, renewable, home-grown alternative to imported oil. But critics -- including some environmentalists such as O'Donnell -- argue that its virtues are oversold. They say it causes smog, generates little more energy than it takes to produce, and is not economical without substantial federal and state subsidies.

"They have been trying to make ethanol accepted for 25 years, and frankly they haven't been that successful," said Frank Maisano, an energy industry lobbyist in Washington. "When they have been successful, it's only been when farm state senators have tried to jam it down our throats."

But ethanol proponents hope that the sight of ethanol-branded cars zipping around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will do more for ethanol's image than tax credits and national production mandates.

"We're talking about expanding the market and educating the public," said Ron Fagen, president and CEO of Fagen Inc., the Minnesota partner in the Indy project. "It's 114 octane. It's great performance."

'Great billboard'

Ethanol remains a small fraction of overall world fuel consumption, but U.S. production, based chiefly on corn, has tripled since 2001.

"The ethanol industry is the fastest-growing energy business in the world," said Fagen, whose company is the largest designer and builder of ethanol plants in the nation. "It's just booming."

Agriculture experts say the ethanol industry has added about 10 cents to the value of an average bushel of corn in the Midwest.

Although ethanol companies have been eager to do a deal with the Indy Racing League, the talks have been ongoing for years.

Fagen, who also sponsors funny cars and dragsters, said he was approached three years ago by Indy racer Paul Dana, who will drive an ethanol-powered demonstration car in this year's season, which begins Sunday at the Homestead-Miami Speedway in Florida.

Apart from Dana's racing prowess, Fagen said he's one of the best salesmen he's ever seen.

As Fagen recalls, "He approached us and said, 'An Indy car would be a great billboard for your industry, and I'm a good driver.' "

Last edited by rush1; 4 Mar 2005 at 00:10.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1242496)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like this part: But critics -- including some environmentalists such as O'Donnell -- argue that its virtues are oversold. They say it causes smog, generates little more energy than it takes to produce...

That's pretty funny. First of all that last part is wrong, and second how is that different from gasoline? Ethanol like gasoline is an energy medium, meaning that you extract far less energy from it, than it takes to produce it. Kudos to the IRL for taking the lead on this one. I know ethanol itself is not new, but if it's used as a promotional tool to promote the fuel then it's a terrific thing. The costs of producing ethanol have improved over the years and it seems to be pretty viable from a price perspective. Considering that oil continues to climb in price, I can only see ethanol's viability increasing.

Another thought: Historically racing technologies have transfered to the street. This hasn't been the case for quiet some time now. I wonder if the IRL's potential stock block future engine formula might actually aid in this if ethanol is used widespread? eg. At the very least, compression ratios in street engines will have to increase.

Semi-side note: I'm not a big fan of aggricultural subsidies, but ethanol might be a viable way to improve famer's lot in life - particularly when subsidies hurt people in counties without subsidies. Yesterday in my local paper there was a picture of some famers protesting with a sign that said "Price per ton of corn: $0.90. Price per ton of Toronto garbage: $0.95" That refers to the Toronto garbage that is trucked and sold to MI.

Last edited by Snrub; 4 Mar 2005 at 17:40.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1246469)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've a question fuels. Is there any difference in sound between gas (just as used in Formula 1) and methanol and ethanol?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1247006)   #7
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
I've a question fuels. Is there any difference in sound between gas (just as used in Formula 1) and methanol and ethanol?

Not from what I've experienced. The only difference I know of is you can drink Ethanol
Old 11 Mar 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1249738)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Deleted.
The farmers might be Democrats in Minnesota, Bob, but they're staunch Republicans in the Hoosier state....

Last edited by macdaddy; 11 Mar 2005 at 17:45.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Mar 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1249958)   #9
trow
Racer

United States
Indianapolis
trow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Owner
Not from what I've experienced. The only difference I know of is you can drink Ethanol