Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1326849)   #1
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had the SC not been deployed, would Montoya have won?

What do you reckon. Can we have a poll?

This was definitely JPM's best showing of the season so far IMO. He was able to produce a good lap in qualifying - had more fuel on board than Kimi and pulled out a 6-second lead over his team mate at one point in the race.

Kimi was catching, but would he have had to stop before JPM - and if so, that pretty much would've left the race in JPM's hands.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1326852)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, JPM would have won, I reckon.

Button and then Juan Pablo's own stupidity combined to cost him the race.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1326859)   #3
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the question should also be, would Shumi have won?
I`m afraid JPM might have been to aggressive trying to pass Kimi.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1326870)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd assume so, but who knows what else would have happened if the safety car hadn't been deployed? Pointless conjecture.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1326876)   #5
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I find it very unlikely. Kimi had fuel for 3-5 more laps, so he would normally overtake JPM over the last pitstop. Unless his steering problems kept him from doing so...
Old 13 Jun 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1326896)   #6
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he would've. he was really going like stink today. even though Kimi might have been able to run a few laps more, I don't think he would've been able to make the difference in the pits. unless Mclaren really wanted to screw Montoya over, but I don't think any team would want to do that for either of their drivers.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1326906)   #7
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
no, especially not mclaren or williams and that's why I respect these two teams more.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1327412)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was the fastest guy out there. You have to assume he would've won.

Not bad for "the new Gerhard Berger".
Old 13 Jun 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1327445)   #9
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
maybe, he might of but he was very lucky not to hit the wall straight after his first pit stop.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1327461)   #10
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not to sure the team wouldn't apply something to change their order.
I would like to say that McLaren doesn't use team orders, but Kimi does have a chance for WDC, and Juan doesn't, and, in that situation, I just don;t know.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1327464)   #11
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
He was the fastest guy out there. You have to assume he would've won.

Not bad for "the new Gerhard Berger".
It would have been his 5th win, in 74 starts.

Berger had 210 starts, 10 wins, 48 podiums.
I do not know how many of those races he did "almost" win.
But it looks to me as if it not much unlike Montoya's results.

-------------

Besides, Berger started his F1 carreer at smaller teams (ATS and Arrows).

In his first 4 years in a top team, he had 5 wins.
Montoya would have had 5 wins (if ...) in slightly over 4 seasons.

Again, these results are quite similar.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1327469)   #12
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
How did he do that, really? it's not really what you expect from an experienced driver, even a colombian one

EDIT: I'm refering to montoya almost hitting the wall after the first pitstop.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1327486)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm convinced that without the safety car... JPM would still not win.

And it's not because of the lack of effort...JPM is totally fired up and more than fast enough to beat Kimi.

Give credit where credit's due..though i like Kimi more than JPM, JPM got the upper hand this race.

Like i've said, a 1-2 is on the cards. However, i'm very much convinced that Ron would find a way around to let Kimi get the extra 2points.

Kimi is Mclaren's only hope for the title this year...unless Kimi retires from the next 4 GPs. once Alonso retired, JPM slowed unbelievably. Like i've said, i'd love to see the timing to see where everything stands to make a better analysis...but from my armchair, JPM looked to have drop his pace and not really catching the back marker in front. That signals that Mclaren is ready to ease off and close the gap for the impending pitstop, where a smooth change of position can happen.

My theory may be flawed, and not accurate... but it can't be far more wrong than what some people are claiming that manipulation of results is beyond Mclaren.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1327490)   #14
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very surprised when the first camera shot in the pits after the safety car deployment was Kimi, not Juan! What the hell is happening here? My first thought was that McLaren were messing up Juan in favour of Kimi, with some nicely timed mis-communication on the radio. When he missed the red light while rejoining, my frustration was complete. What a cock-up that was. Possibly spoiled a victory for JP.

But on the other hand, if JP had had his thinking cap on, he would have dived into the pits at the first opportunity, radio message or not, since he was ahead at the time.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1327492)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Like i've said, a 1-2 is on the cards. However, i'm very much convinced that Ron would find a way around to let Kimi get the extra 2points.
Perhaps for the purpose of this thread you could consider whether JPM could have won even if we lived in the fanciful world where McLaren don't invent miscommunication.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1327498)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like i've said, pretty much clearly...and if it isn't clear enough...

On merit, without the safety car, JPM could win and have the ability to win.

At the point where Alonso took himself out, JPM would have been the victor. The strategy and pace is his over Kimi.

But in reality, it won't happen for some very good reasons.

Considering that i'm not JPM's biggest fan (i'm sure MrV can back me up on this), you have to wonder why i'm so much convinced that JPM , at that point when he inherited the lead, is in a better position to win. But stink**** happens.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1327502)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK, so that is yes he would. Thank you Gt_R.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1327511)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

You're welcomed. And you concur?

I must say that the great result must be attributed to the committed personnels of Team Mclaren from Woking, whose sacrifices and efforts have paid off in huge parts to produce this wonderful technical package, with the support of the sponsors and technical partners of West-Mclaren-Mercedes.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1327521)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi's extra laps between their respective second stops may have made the difference, but at no point in the race wasy Kimi capable of running as fast as JPM - even when he had slightly less fuel in the early laps. All other things being equal JPm may have had the pace to pass Kimi, but I'm sure McLaren would have said that they had to hold station after the final pitstop, which JPm probably would accept.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1327533)   #20
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had the SC not been deployed, would Montoya have won? It's a totally pointless question. It was, and he didn't.

It's no good saying what if this, that and the other, he has to race on the same track as everyone under the same circumstances.

If, however, a communications problem was found, to help McLarens championship, you have to remember that both drivers have statred this season on a level footing. However one driver has taken better care of himself, hasn't brake tested other drivers into a pileup, and has generally kept his head down and focused on his championship. He obviously now has the momentum of the team behind him, and JPM can't blame anyone else for that.

Last edited by Heebeegeetee; 13 Jun 2005 at 18:03. Reason: Dementia

Tags
jpm