Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 2 Nov 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1450235)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sometimes if you've finished taking pictures, you've got your stock shots and there's not really another place to shoot from within walking distance then yes, sometimes you do stand and watch the racing. because let's be honest, you've got a great vantage point and you're probably more able to react if you're watching the race than if you were taking pictures (contentious..).

i agree with james entirely. unless you have an idea of their brief (not everyone has a thousand clients and a commitment to be doing blue arsed fly impressions buzzing around looking important!), then you can't really criticise. some of us are very competant photographers but have no need to go around being busy.

on another note, i know the photographer "brands" refers to, and yes, it's out of line. considerably.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1450840)   #27
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only had issues twice in the last 3 years. Out of 100+ meetings that's no big deal to me. The reason Thruxton has been the "problem" track is, I suppose, because there are only two or three spots to shoot from, from whichever side of the track you are. Other circuits have more places and angles and where as I might feel like staying put I know the tracksiders have to move about.

Bella....the photographer in question has become public-side-of-the-fence friendly since that incident for which I'm grateful.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1450861)   #28
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i know what people mean by not knowing another photographers brief, and whether he's just shooting to get something/anything in the bag. but then you can also sometimes walk past someone shooting and think "s**t theres nothing there, you're wasting your time"...i should know i've stood taking some shockers in an attempt to get something different in my time!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1450884)   #29
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, but you've got to try haven't you... if only for the smugness if it does work, and people say "blimey, where did you get that from?"
Old 2 Nov 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1450896)   #30
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
yeah, but you've got to try haven't you... if only for the smugness if it does work, and people say "blimey, where did you get that from?"
definitely...seeing someone wandering off in the opposite direction always intrigues me. i was thinking more of the times you walk along behind someone and can see the background is pants!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1451647)   #31
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
....The reason Thruxton has been the "problem" track is, I suppose, because there are only two or three spots to shoot from
There's loads of places to shoot from at Thruxton if you can be bothered to walk and occasionaly brave the odd bramble. The chicane and compex tend to be used during racing because of the high level of incidents but certainly during qualifying, especially for at speed shots you have a lot of options if you have a pass.

Dont forget also that at any circuit the suns position has a lot to do with where photgraphers stand
Old 4 Nov 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1451733)   #32
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard you weren't allowed out onto the fast bits at Thruxton, even with a pass...
Old 4 Nov 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1451866)   #33
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sometimes you can grab a ride with the course car to Church, certainly could with the Brit GT's last year but once you're there nyou obvioulsy have to stay for a while
Even without that though there are plenty of places that arent the chicane or complex...it amazing how far everything suddenly beacomes once you've walked as far as you can and have to get back for the podium.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1458663)   #34
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a positive report

At yesterdays practice for the V8 Supercars where I was shooting from public area I had a couple of encounters with accredited shooters.

The second guy moved position in front of me and jogged through my field of shot even though the cars were on the other side of the circuit at the time.

The first photographer moved into a restrictred are in front of a good public shooting spot and asked us if he was in any body's way before deciding on his position.

At a pinch he might have been slightly on the end of my pan but since he asked a bit of compromise was defintely in order.

So there are gentleman out there.
Attached Thumbnails
5708.JPG   6012.JPG  

Last edited by philneast; 12 Nov 2005 at 08:44. Reason: Organising order of pictures
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1458923)   #35
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, there are plenty of gents. Sadly it only takes one prat to colour us all. I though the guy who jogged infront of your shot was a bit naughty. I'd stop until the car had passed before I would resume my jog.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1459400)   #36
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James
theses were both positive actions. There were no cars in shot when the jogger went past. He was making extra sure of minimising any possible disruption to me.

He had time to get set up and have his photo taken before the cars came back around.
Old 24 Nov 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1469503)   #37
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
in Capitola, CA, USA (aka Paradise)
Andrew W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like CPS was there too Phil?