Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1461117)   #1
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Therapeutic Use?

Been reading through my licence application today, and am intrigued by the new form I have to complete. If I have an International licence or race in Europe I need to declare my asthma inhalers on an official FIA anti-doping form - more ruddy bureaucracy!

Downloaded the word document easily enough only to find it has to be typewritten - bet the Doc likes to charge for that! Who's got a typewriter these days?

Is this just a case of the FIA taking the p*ss? Anyone got any idea what happens if I forget to send the form in?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1461191)   #2
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scrutineers have been issued with rubber gloves for more intensive inspections
Old 15 Nov 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1461418)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
don't declare it Midget man

how often is prize money at stake when you race ?

I'm sure 90% of the crap they come out with isn't applicable to 90% of us

for the other 10% . . . .they get paid and pay someone else to deal with it !
Old 15 Nov 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1461527)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I bet it's all to do with some European Directive that says all sports have to be drug tested and all competitors, regardless of level, have to be subject to testing. I woudn't worry about it midgetman.... unless, of course, you suddenly start lapping 10 seconds quicker than you've ever gone before, and you haven't done anything to your car
Old 15 Nov 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1461557)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>you suddenly start lapping 10 seconds quicker than you've ever gone before

Still be off the pace of course ;-)

Sounds like one of those things that if we all ignore it, it'll go away as unenforceable. Just that the licence self-declaration form asks you to tick the "No" box or I'd have "forgotten" all about it.

Thankfully compulsory medical report isn't until NEXT year. And if I get my application in early perhaps no-one'll notice my age for another year, by which time zimmer racing'll be beckoning anyway.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1461560)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh, I'm that age too midgetman. Just went and got my eyes tested just in case I need a year to get them past another medical.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1461697)   #7
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
I bet it's all to do with some European Directive that says all sports have to be drug tested and all competitors, regardless of level, have to be subject to testing. I
Your worrying me ere, does that mean that soon those idiots in Brussels will be demanding that all competitors in school sports day will have to be drug tested and pass a medical before being given a licence to compete in a 100m race??

Er excuse me son have you got a licence for that?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1461761)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Oh I very much doubt that. Hadn't you heard that school sports days are now supposed to be "non-competitive"! At my kids' school they "take part" in sporting activities where there are no winners and losers, just "a good time to be had by all, in a spirit of excitement and involvement".

So no need for dope testing there then.......
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1461778)   #9
johnw
Veteran

England
Quote:
......At my kids' school they "take part" in sporting activities where there are no winners and losers, ......

So no need for dope testing there then.......
Well, maybe they should test the dope that thought that up?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1461790)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Well, maybe they should test the dope that thought that up?
It was obviously strong enough "dope" that the real world wasn't having too much influence
Old 16 Nov 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1462060)   #11
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
>>

Thankfully compulsory medical report isn't until NEXT year. And if I get my application in early perhaps no-one'll notice my age for another year, by which time zimmer racing'll be beckoning anyway.
i thought you said earlier you wanted an international licence? i thought you needed a medical every year for one of those? unless i'm reading the form wrong
Old 16 Nov 2005, 09:49 (Ref:1462099)   #12
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM78
...does that mean that soon those idiots in Brussels will be demanding that all competitors in school sports day will have to be drug tested....
Good that I'm not from Brussels.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1462218)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Oh I wouldn't go taking anything like that personally Eddy. In the UK the phrase "idiots in Brussels" is used to describe the (possibly) well meaning but (deifinitely) incompetent people in the EU parliment who seem to dream up endless and pointless ways to interfere in the lives of ordinary EU citizens. We do know that most of them don't actually come from Brussels, and also that half the time they aren't even in Brussels. I'm sure people from Brussels are mostly very nice
Old 16 Nov 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1462268)   #14
johnw
Veteran

England
Touched a nerve, eh dtype
Old 16 Nov 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1462318)   #15
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Not that I'm aware of. AFAIK the only touchy nerve I have is the one that detects lack of beer in the fridge. Just don't even think about going there
Old 16 Nov 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1462407)   #16
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh I wouldn't go taking anything like that personally Eddy.
Not to worry, I didn't do that. That is why I put in.
I know that those **##"" do their evil thing there.
But sometimes age gets the better of me (senile O F)

Quote:
I'm sure people from Brussels are mostly very nice
Are you sure? I've never seen a nice Brussels native.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1462414)   #17
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Are you sure? I've never seen a nice Brussels native.
I'm not sure that I've even met one! I was just working on the basis that if they were all horrible, they'd never get on with each other well enough to form relationships. So they'd never get as far as a bit of nooky, which would mean that in a generation or two there wouldn't be anyone from Brussels.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1462418)   #18
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Now that is something to look out for. No more people from Brussels.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1462423)   #19
midgetman
Veteran

Ian

>>>>>>>>>>>>i thought you said earlier you wanted an international licence?

I've got a National A and race in Europe in "NEAFP" status events. National medicals apply with it too.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1462503)   #20
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Good that I'm not from Brussels.
Eddy, you know the main thing is the idiots "in" Brussels are not "from" Brussels, but are waifs and strays from all of our countries who dumped their rubbish politicians "out of harms way", only to find that they bit back with tons and tons (sorry, metric... tonnes and tonnes) of rubbish regulations that most of the EU ignore, but we British, sticklers for rules, follow to the letter.

They used to take the mickey out of the Germans for following orders without question, but it should really be British bureaucrats in the "how many... to change a lightbulb" joke.

In my experience, I have never met anyone from any country that I did not like. Especially those who buy the beers! (I found the Austrians very generous in that respect!! - and with Eddy and his crate of Hoegaarden on Saturday, that could easily change!! (subject to the weather as I'll have my 9 month old son with me!))

Rob.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1462610)   #21
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
In my experience, I have never met anyone from any country that I did not like.......and with Eddy and his crate of Hoegaarden on Saturday, that could easily change!!
Ah. but you haven't met ME yet Rob.

Hoegie? What Hoegie?

Ze onez eye jusz vinishedd.....
Old 17 Nov 2005, 03:23 (Ref:1462873)   #22
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59

In my experience, I have never met anyone from any country that I did not like. Especially those who buy the beers!

Rob.
Where you been?
(Only joking)
People who buy beers are bound to be nice, if only I could find someone who would..
Old 17 Nov 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1463253)   #23
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
It's always nice when a thread wanders onto my favorite subject....

Now if only I could persuade my doctor that it has theraputic values, then race meetings would be even more fun.....
Old 16 Mar 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1550137)   #24
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going testing on Friday (tomorrow), so sent my licence application off last Thursday complete with extra £35-odd for a 72 hour turnaround. Nothing. Phoned them and told that because TUE application (for entirely routine asthma), they say that they cannot guarantee anything other than their 44 day (or whatever) turnround!!!!!!!! They have to send it off to a consultant for vetting which is the procedure.

The points are, one how absurdly stupid that the FIA force the MSA into this nonsense (and what are our FIA reps doing about this?), two, the MSA should warn us that the TUE 44 day waiting overrides the 72 hour payment premium, and thridly, you are warned that there will be a delay for all TUE applicants as apparently they cannot issue a licence without the TUE if it has been applied for with the licence application.

I've got around it by withdrawing my TUE application, which I shall make as soon as I have rec'd my licence. I won't be doing any FIA Int'l events before summer anyway.

This is not a rant against the MSA Licence dept, who are, as usual in my experience, being very helpful in the circumstance they find themselves in.