Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 May 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1606034)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
By my count, we have 32 confirmed drivers....Cheever will apparently announce the addition of Hamilton, Yasukawa, or Enge (but I think he is unlikely, based on my notes above)

That's 33....

Does anyone think that any other rides will materialize into cars from this list???

22- Vision Racing - (Moreno, if 33 are needed?)
33 - Ganassi - (Walker naming someone???)
33T - Ganassi - (Back-Up for Walker's Driver???)
48 - Foyt Racing - ????
52 - Cheever Racing - (Hamilton, Yasukawa, or Enge?)
93 - Hemelgarn - (Bucknum Back-Up or ????)

TBA - Panther - (Enge? or ???) - No Number Assigned Yet
TBA - Panther T -- (Back-Up for 2nd Driver?) No Number
TBA - Penske - I don't see this materializing - No Number
TBA - Penske T - Ditto from Above

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 May 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1609496)   #27
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the "pit Pass" section of today's Indy Star it was reported that Ganassi has no intention of running a third car...

I don't know if that ruls out leasing the 33 car to someone, but it seems clear that there won't be trhee Target-Ganassi cars in the field.

Cheever still hasn't announced his second driver, but he has been logging Frequent Flyer miles with Indy and his Grand Am team...

Maybe he'll announce something on Monday or Tuesday???

Also, in his "Q&A" section of the Indy Star's website, Curt Cavin alludedlast week that Panther has no intention of running another car here, either

That leaves the following cars as possibles:

22 - Vision Racing
48 - Foyt Racing (and they have gotten very little track time with Giaffone)
93 - Hemelgarn

Of course, Ganassi could lease a chassis to someone, but who is there with the cash to put it together??? I think that one is off the charts for now, unless something would turn up out of the blue this week

John Andretti implied he might have some options open to him for Indy, and he has raced for Foyt in the past. Vision could pick him up, but I think it would be Moreno if they will run a car....

Although Team Owner mentioned Darrick Walker talking to Ganassi about leasing a car, I don't see it happening with Champ Car's schedule...they raced at Houston last night, and they are in Monterrey, Mexico this coming weekend...He has his own team to focus on in the other Series...

Old 15 May 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1610528)   #28
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
If Beck Motorsports can pull together a second crrew, they will field a car for P.J Jones, accoding to today's Indy Star.

Davey Hamilton also seems to hav ethe inside track for the second Cheever car.

That would make 34 cars and drivers....

Old 15 May 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1610586)   #29
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Max Papis as a possible driver for the second Cheever car is another thing alluded to in that article. Surprising to see Gregoire out there again - with Herb and possibly Hamilton and Dare, there will be something of an old-school look to the final few rows.
Old 15 May 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1610788)   #30
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with the speed Cheever's gotten out of his car (222+) whose to say that Hamilton will be in the final few rows?
Old 16 May 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1611414)   #31
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The Indy Star confirms today that Beck will field a second car with PJ Jones driving....it will be No. 98 (of course) with Curb Records sponsorship.

I hope the paint it in the same Agajanian color scheme that Parnelli drove back in the early 1960s...just like they painted it a couple of years ago.

Old 16 May 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1611508)   #32
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So what's the total of entered cars so far?
Old 16 May 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1611527)   #33
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
It is 33 drivers at this point, with the awaited announcement from Cheever to name a driver to make it 34...

Old 16 May 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1611531)   #34
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok thanks Tim...I thought Cheever ran Enge at Motegi in preperation for Indy, and I thought Max Papis was close to the deal as well...
Old 16 May 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1611536)   #35
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Cheever did run Enge at Motegi...but Enge was at Houston GP last week in the ALMS and will drive at Mid-Ohio this weekend...both in the #007 Aston Martin...so I don't think he will be available...

Papis will drive a Cadillac in the Speed World Challenge GT Class this weekend, also at Mid-Ohio...I haven't looked to see when that final race will run (Sat. Afternoon or Sun. morning?) but that would cost him track time here to get a set-up to go racing as well...

That is why I think it is more likely that Davey Hamilton or Rager Yasukawa would get the seat, and the Indy Star has stated that Hamilton seems to have the inside track to get the seat.

BTW....

I believe that on Sunday, if the slowest qualifier has a relatively slow 4-lap speed like Arie Jr. had last year, that A.J. might do what he did last year and put someone in the 48 car to try to put a third car in the show....

After all...the engine lease is only $125,000 for the one week, and last place in this race usually pays more than $200,000, IIRC....

Thus it would cover the costs to compete for a week, and by just staying clean the way Giaffone did last year would move that 3rd car up in the standings as people drop out of the race... and increase the prize money as it did so.

That is why AJ did it last year....he wasn't going to lose money on the deal

Old 16 May 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1611934)   #36
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SpeedTV.com has confirmed Papis in the #52.
Old 16 May 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1611935)   #37
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Confirmed

Max Papis will drive the second Cheever entry

Indycar.com is reporting it
Old 16 May 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1611951)   #38
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting...

But good none the less.
Old 16 May 2006, 23:38 (Ref:1611976)   #39
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Cool, I wonder if he can finish in the top 5, anythings possible if he's in up there in say the last 20 laps / stint or what have you...
Old 17 May 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1612554)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I think Papis is a faster and better choice than Hamilton...

But Max is going to have an interesting week.

Indy today and tomorrow (Wed & Thurs.)

Mid-Ohio Fri. & Sat. (2 practice sessions Fri. with quals and a race Sat. - the race is from about 6-7 p.m.)

Back to Indy on Sunday.

If it rains again in Indy on Saturday (that possibility does exist), Max will have a shot at getting a decent spot on the grid....

Otherwise, he'll start at the back of the pack....