Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 22 Jun 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1639431)   #1
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Britcarfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Feedback Required For New DSLR User

Hi,

I am relatively new to 10 Tenths and motorsport photography. I purchased my first DSLR camera just 2 months ago. I intend to use it mostly for motorsport photography. I have set up a photo sharing website to show people my efforts - http://rsmp.zenfolio.com/. I would be very grateful if people would take have a look at my site and give me helpful feedback and advice as this will aid my learning process.

Cheers,

Ray.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 00:50 (Ref:1639468)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good photos, but try and experiment and be creative, and don't limit yourself to a traditional angle, like the inside of Druids at Brands. I did that at Le Mans, and some of my favourites are those that don't look like everyone elses. Looks like some nice sharp images though (as far as you can tell from the fairly small pics!)

The website is quite good, but a bit "cluttered"...
Old 23 Jun 2006, 04:05 (Ref:1639514)   #3
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Thanks for your response Mike. I understand what you mean about varying the angles. I tried to do that more at the most recent meeting I went to at Brands (EERC), which was helped by the fact it was on the GP circuit. Where do you think the best places are to shoot on the Indy circuit (I have a 300mm lens).

Also with the website, I uploaded the pictures at a size of 750 by 500. I decided on that size for quicker uploads and because some of the Pro sites used a similar size or smaller. What size do you think I should use?

Your photos are awesome by the way.

Ray.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1639621)   #4
Owain Shaw
Rookie

Owain Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with the point about variety. Not strictly limited to Brands but, maybe, if at all possible, tighter crops, either still or panned will be different to the full car shots. There are generally less shots done with the cars going away from you than towards you, you can get some good ones going away, particular with groups of cars. Think about shooting wider and showing something of the circuit and atmosphere, where - which it isn't always - possible. Things in the foreground can work. There's a multitude of things that can be tried, you might not like them or find they work when you first try them but, dig them out every so often.

The Indy circuit at Brands Hatch is pretty limited and, whilst you can quite easily find something different to what you are already doing, it will have already been done by (numerous) others but, don't let that put you off if you like them. Examples being the shot on the entry to druids from the outside (likely to be much further away now with the gravel alteration), I would class the through the trees at either Paddock or Druids as having been done but not enough to prevent it from warranting a look, there's some to be had from the outside of Paddock, again from the outside of Clearways.

About the only different shot I've been able to come up with is from standing on the wooden bollards on the outside of druids looking down the track as the cars run out to the curbing, works best with multiple car groups and there's a couple different ways of doing it with varying degrees of angle on the camera. I don't do it much because then it loses any originality it may have ever had.

Dare I say but, the best place for original photographs at Brands Hatch Indy is the paddock, so often overlooked. Spend some time in there, get around the cars, look at the interesting details, avoid shooting the whole car and you can get something very creative. The pit garages (open to you and I at club meetings - all they ask is you don't enter the pit lane, which is very fair!) provided some very nice lighting for the cars within at the MSV Season Starter and HSCC Summer Festival meetings I attended. See also the assembly area, like any circuit you can get some nice portraits there. Say hello to Mr. Black and Mrs. White though ...

Hope that makes some sense and/or helps in a small, medium or large way,

Owain.
Old 23 Jun 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1639806)   #5
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Examples being the shot on the entry to druids from the outside (likely to be much further away now with the gravel alteration)
Won`t be any FURTHER away as the trap is not being pushed BACK, rather sideways. Higher fencing (or same height fencing just erected differently to the way it was) is a more likely problem to overcome.....
Old 23 Jun 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1639900)   #6
Owain Shaw
Rookie

Owain Shaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes."
Old 24 Jun 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1640582)   #7
Britcarfan
Rookie

England
East Anglia
Thanks for your advice Owain. I have just been concentrating on getting my shots of the cars on track right up to now, but you are correct in saying that there is some interesting shots to be had around the paddock and pits. I will make sure in future that I take the opportunity to get some shots from those locations. Also I will try to vary my shots more to include more of the interesting pieces of track and scenery as you suggest.

Thanks again,

Ray.

Last edited by Britcarfan; 24 Jun 2006 at 23:18.