Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 6 Jun 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1628767)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cheever Fires Back at Critics

Cheever Racing has apparently sent out a news release responding to comments made by the Andrettis and by Danica at Watkins Glen on TV last Sunday.

It is on the IRL's site.

Here is the link:

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=6806

This thing is turning into "As The IRL's World Turns"

I couldn't tell from TV if Cheever hit Danica or not.

But he should have checked his mirrors for Marco...he knew he was back there, and that he was faster....that one was his fault, IMO

I do not think it was intentional at all....Cheever wouldn't stack someone on purpose at those kinds of speeds and in those kinds of conditions...

Your thoughts on the response???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1628774)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is an expected response, nothing much to add.

I personally don't believe he took Marco out on purpose, for the simple reason that there would have been no point whatsoever! It was just sleeping on Eddie's part IMO!

As for the Danica accident, for me it was quite clear, judging by the limited camera angles I have seen: she spun on her own.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1628780)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which spin of Danica's in the race? There was a few, and as pointed out from what we saw there wasn't contact. Not the first times she's slagged off or complained about fellow drivers.

Last edited by luke; 6 Jun 2006 at 20:35.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1628785)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We're talking about the restart as both were coming back onto the main straight to get to the green flag and she spun to the outside....

I will say that as opposed to saying it directly into an ABC microphone, Danica actually said it over her team radio to her crew chief...she didn't know she was being broacast of TV...

The Andrettis did know exactly who they were talking to and who their audience was..

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1628791)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Danica said that in the car. Again, I don't understand this as she seemed to lose it herself. Maybe Eddie had been intimidating her through the yellow laps and put her out of her stride (clutching at straws here)?

I well understood Marcos reaction, which was typical of a young gun brought crashing back to earth in a terrible way after a brilliant performance. But it was wrong.

And Michael, I feel, should know better. But I guess he is the over-protective parent in this instance.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1628819)   #6
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Michael Edick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do agree with the one thing that Cheever has said about the incident:

"Let's get back to racing".

so let's all pitch in and get truck sized mirrors for his car...

I would think that Danica would know what it feels like to get punted, and hopefully be, uh, Woman enough to admit she spun on her own if she did so...

Last edited by Michael Edick; 6 Jun 2006 at 21:22.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1629102)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure Cheever would not have taken Marco out on purpose , thats just stupid talk that was said in the heat of the moment , Cheever would have had no gain to do something like that . But for sure , the Andretti's were correct that a driver of Cheever's experience should not be making stupid mistakes like he did . Maybe he isnt as race sharp as he should be ?
Old 7 Jun 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1629143)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sato san
... Maybe he isnt as race sharp as he should be ?
Spot on, Sato. That's the real reason of the accident, probably the hardest to admit by Eddie
Old 7 Jun 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1629226)   #9
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have been nice for Eddie to admit he made a mistake in taking out Marco. I agree some of the words chosen by the Andretti clan were poorly chosen in the heat of the moment - there is no way EC would attempt to take out a driver deliberately.

However....his explanation that it was a racing accident is interesting since I thought he was being lapped and therefore wasn't actually "racing" anyone right then......

A simple apology would have been nice, but far too much water under the bridge I guess.

As for the Danica one, I won't comment much since I didn't see enough of it. EC was lurking nearby but his position in relation to Danica's car made it look to me like she lost it on her own under extreme (and considering it was still under yellow, perhps excessive) pressure. That one I'll let go as a racing incident happily.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1663422)   #10
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy is 48 years old.........don't most drivers call it quits at around 40-42?
Old 24 Jul 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1663431)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Usually in their mid '30s...and the fact he does Grand Prix Masters well...
Old 26 Jul 2006, 00:08 (Ref:1664591)   #12
brihev
Rookie

United States
Tampa FL
brihev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
grand am

Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Spot on, Sato. That's the real reason of the accident, probably the hardest to admit by Eddie

Cheeser's team in grand am has had a few accidents, but i'm not sure how many he has been involved in. i'll try to find out.