Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 Jun 2000, 01:44 (Ref:16374)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Button axed by Williams

Jenson Button will be replaced by ChampCar star Juan-Pablo Montoya at Williams next season according to reports in today’s motorsport press.

Montoya, who recently became the first rookie driver to win the Indy 500 since Graham Hill in 1966, is regarded as world championship-winning material and Williams feel the Colombian is a better short-term bet than Button.

Williams have Button on a rolling contract and will offer the 20-year-old to a rival outfit so the youngster can gain Formula 1 experience.

The story in today’s Autosport magazine claims that Frank Williams has already made his decision despite the team claiming publicly that nothing would be decided until after next weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix. The magazine was the first to break the news when Williams controversially replaced Damon Hill with Heinz-Harald Frentzen for the 1997 season.

Montoya’s signing will start a scramble among the other F1 teams to try and secure Button’s signature.

Jordan could provide a refuge for Button. Eddie Jordan would relish the opportunity to hone Button’s talents having launched the F1 careers of the likes of Michael and Ralf Schumacher, Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichello and Giancarlo Fisichella.

Button would suit Jordan’s extrovert image and the team would be a good place for Button to learn about F1 in a less pressured environment.

Button would replace Heinz-Harald Frentzen, who has been linked with a big money move to Jaguar. The manufacturer wants to increase its presence in the important German car market.

BAR and Prost could also provide a berth or Button, but the young Brit wouldn’t relish a move to these teams.

Old 9 Jun 2000, 14:06 (Ref:16444)   #2
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If you were Juan, wouldn't you want to test the willi before committing to the drive? We know Juan has what it takes but does the willi?
Old 9 Jun 2000, 16:44 (Ref:16463)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"We know Juan has what it takes but does the willi?"

I know the Willi will have what it takes, but does Juan?

Cart/Indy to F1 is a big step. Only 2 drivers have ever done it, and they are Jacques and Mario. They both won the F1 after success in the US.

Winning the Indy 500 with the current crop proves little, I am still sceptical. Juan will have to re adjust to the F1 driving style which is much smoother, and a lot more unforgiving than the style in Cart. Juan will not be able to do a lot of the tricks he does in Cart in F1. Correcting a F1 car going through a corner is almost a given in F1, whereas in Cart it usually means the team will take some front wing, adjust the tire pressures or spring rates.

I think he will do better than Zanardi, but not better than Ralf.
Old 11 Jun 2000, 03:14 (Ref:16672)   #4
Dan
Rookie

Dan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan will do it

I'm back. It has been really long since the last time I posted something here. But those who remember me know that I'm a Montoya fan, maybe because I'm COLOMBIAN.

Anyway, I agree with slicktoast. Juan has what it takes. I'm sure about it. He has given many demonstrations already. He's got a lot of records, marks or however you call them, that only a few drivers, drivers who were legends on their times, have too. Montoya has F1 class, have no doubt about it. If he finds a good car, he can do whatever he wants, and that has been particulary shown this year. When his car is working, he has no rivals.

Look at Indy. It was a new car, at least in some specifications. It was a new track. But in his 5th practice lap he was already at the top of the time list.

Juan has already driven F1 cars. He was a testdriver for Williams before going to cart, you all know that. And I guess you remember that he did really good, he had very good times, if not the best, in comparison with the rest of the testdrivers. He will handle the car, don't worry.

I hope Jay is right when he says the Willi will have what it takes. I hope the Willi has what Juan wants, what Juan needs.......

Old 11 Jun 2000, 04:07 (Ref:16691)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think I have to remind you that F1 is a lot harder than Indy.

I restate: Juan has proved little toward F1. When he tested he was never anywhere near JV or HHF's times, and I don't think 2 years driving cars that drive like they're on rails can help.
[Edited by Jay on 11th June 2000]
Old 11 Jun 2000, 13:54 (Ref:16744)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wanna bet? Jay, if Montoya goes to F1 next year, and if he falls flat on his face and is an abject failure by the time the Molson Indy rolls around, I will buy you the best dinner in Toronto at any place you name.

If he's scored more than 10 points by that time, you bring a sign to the Molson Indy that says "I was wrong about Montoya."

If anything else happens, we are evens.
Old 12 Jun 2000, 04:17 (Ref:16805)   #7
Dan
Rookie

Dan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOW this is getting serious. I hope they show that sign on TV..........
Old 12 Jun 2000, 13:18 (Ref:16849)   #8
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"two years driving cars that drive like they're on rails"

What a strange, misguided assertion.