Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 5 Sep 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1702439)   #1
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
AJ 4oyt to replace Franchitti at Chicagoland

Is that really the best AGR can come up with?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1702456)   #2
bluefeather
Rookie

bluefeather should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well...imagine the promotional possibilities with an Andretti and Foyt spokesperson. For their first IRL 2007 commercial they should ask "Just Al" to join the team at Indy.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1702469)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh dear. Of all the possibilities.

Still, you never know I suppose!
Old 5 Sep 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1702551)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it'll be interesting - I mean, won't it be the first time we'll see Foyt IV behind the wheel of a competitive car?
Old 5 Sep 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1702635)   #5
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Competitive? It's won two races all year...it's not that competitive by IRL standards.

But will do I suppose.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1702734)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Competitive? It's won two races all year...it's not that competitive by IRL standards.

But will do I suppose.
Compared to the Foyt Racing cars it's very competitive.
Old 5 Sep 2006, 23:37 (Ref:1702833)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I've posted before that I believed Foyt IV was handicapped not only by the "name" but by AJ's unwillingness to do things like hire an engineer. It may well be that Foyt was doing an excellent job but because he was driving a piece of dung, the skill level was not apparent.

Once he drives an AGR machine many questions about Foyt IV will be clarified, if not answered.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1703195)   #8
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well isn't all this awfully convenient for AGR....

Dario has a heavy-ish accident last weekend, following which he was reported as being uninjured, although he did have a trip to hospital (which gives me more confidence behind the "uninjured" diagnosis anyway).

But lo and behold we all now find out he actually had a concussion. Or is it that Mikey would rather have another name on board, rather than the guy who was threatening to take a race win away from his son last time out.

Does it sound like Dario will running in the same series next year??? Not to me it doesn't. Seems like Dario knows his plans for next year and either didn't want to race this weekend or has been slung out at a convenient opportunity.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1703209)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Well isn't all this awfully convenient for AGR....

Dario has a heavy-ish accident last weekend, following which he was reported as being uninjured, although he did have a trip to hospital (which gives me more confidence behind the "uninjured" diagnosis anyway).
SpeedTV.com reported on Monday that Franchitti had suffered a concussion, but I guess the IRL has SpeedTV in their pocket eh?

The official Goodwood Revival site reported on Friday that Franchitti had been in a heavy crash and that he had received medical attention at the track but wasn't seriously injured. That, however, in no way is the same thing as being "uninjured", and a lot of times it's impossible to detect injuries without proper tests carried out at a hospital.

As I mentioned in the other thread I'm pretty sure Franchitti and AGR mutually decided that Franchitti would sit out regardless if there was a chance Franchitti would be cleared to drive on Sunday though, as it will allow Franchitti to rest up and heal without having to rush while AGR can test another driver.

Quote:
Does it sound like Dario will running in the same series next year??? Not to me it doesn't.
It's not like it would be a shocking revelation Franchitti if/when it's confirmed he'll leave IndyCar though - been rumoured for quite some time now.

Last edited by rustyfan; 6 Sep 2006 at 11:45.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1703223)   #10
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
SpeedTV.com reported on Monday that Franchitti had suffered a concussion, but I guess the IRL has SpeedTV in their pocket eh?
If you're actually asking me a genuine question then you probably won't like my answer, but I'll let that one pass. Anyway, what have the IRL got to do with it? I'm talking about AGR's reaction.

Before posting I checked around via Google news and could not find one report making reference to a concussion. If you've got some then so be it and I'm happy to accept that he was injured. You can't deny it's all awfully convenient though isn't it. You're "pretty sure" it was a mutual decision but do you have anything to back that up or is that just an opinion, much like mine is.

I guess we may never know unless Dario does leave and chooses to speak up about it, but that's not really in his interest right now. We'll all get some clues when we hear what he's driving next year.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1703226)   #11
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
It's not like it would be a shocking revelation Franchitti if/when it's confirmed he'll leave IndyCar though - been rumoured for quite some time now.
Did I say it was?
Old 6 Sep 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1703392)   #12
Reluctant guest
Rookie

Reluctant guest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Before posting I checked around via Google news and could not find one report making reference to a concussion. If you've got some then so be it and I'm happy to accept that he was injured. You can't deny it's all awfully convenient though isn't it. You're "pretty sure" it was a mutual decision but do you have anything to back that up or is that just an opinion, much like mine is.

I guess we may never know unless Dario does leave and chooses to speak up about it, but that's not really in his interest right now. We'll all get some clues when we hear what he's driving next year.
Autosport.com's story from Monday about Adrian Newey's Goodwood accident also covers Dario's incident - it both refers to him sustaining a concussion and includes quotes from Newey (from a Red Bull press release) regarding Dario and him having similar injuries and experiencing similar 'goldfish moments' of mental disorientation while in hospital together. It's slightly hidden in Autosport's 'Grapevine' section.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1703439)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dario's accident was a hefty one, the car was in a real state (he went off at one of the quickest parts of the track). Given the length of time that it took them to get out of the car, it's fair to say that he was thrown about a bit. Through the marshalling grapevine (I was at Goodwood), I've heard he well and truely knocked out on impact.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1703497)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be interesting to see how AJIV does, but it seems almost certain that Dario has driven his last IRL race.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1703526)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Did I say it was?
er, did rustyfan say you did?

I too don't think that Dario's condition has been 'worsened' for convenience - that is quite an accusation.

On the more general point it is unlikely Dario would be in IRL next year, but moves are already in place to get him racing elsewhere.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1705722)   #16
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Dario talks about the accident at Goodwood here.