Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 Jun 2000, 16:12 (Ref:16453)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART driver Mark Blundell issued this statement...

Mark Blundell has issued a public warning to Michael Schumacher that he will have his hands full dealing with Juan Pablo Montoya if the CART champion switches to F1 next season with the BMW Williams team.

Speaking in the Daily Mail today, the British driver – formerly in F1 and now with the PacWest team in CART’s FedEx Championship Series – said, "I raced against Ayrton Senna and Michael in F1, and considered them to be two incredibly gifted drivers. Now I've competed against Juan over here in CART, and it is my belief that he is one of those exceptional talents than only come along once in a while.

"I realize there are people back home who will say Montoya looks good in America and F1 has more technically demanding cars and circuits. But this lad has gone out on unfamiliar circuits over here, on cold tires, and been lightning-quick. That is the hallmark of a really good driver.

"He simply doesn't make many mistakes. There is an arrogant streak in him, but only in the sense that he is convinced he has the ability to get his job done successfully.

"I can easily understand why Frank Williams wants him back, even though Jenson Button has done a good job.

"The point is that Jenson, for all his promise, hasn't come close to Montoya's achievements. Juan has done the lot – Formula Vauxhall to F3 to F3000 to CART, the title last year and now the Indy 500."

Courtesy Speedvision/Racer site.
Old 9 Jun 2000, 16:31 (Ref:16457)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard several people say the same thing about Zanardi. That it would be Hakkinen-Zanardi-Schumacher on every podium in 1999.

Montoya will have a better car, but he has also never been in an F1 race.

Montoya has done well in the United States, but he is also driving for the best team in American open-wheel racing. I think if he wants to succeed in F1 he should do what JV did and go to Europe and test all winter before Melbourne 2001.

My Prediction:
Montoya goes to F1, drives along with Ralf, and routinely qualifies 6-10th, while Ralf qualifies 4-8 regualarily. Williams hire Jacques 1-2 years after Montoya arrived.
Old 9 Jun 2000, 16:38 (Ref:16459)   #3
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I look forward to seeing you proved wrong, Jayster
Old 9 Jun 2000, 23:56 (Ref:16515)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As quoted by Jay - ''I heard several people say the same thing about Zanardi. That it would be Hakkinen-Zanardi-Schumacher on every
podium in 1999.

I don't remember these statements, but in that current edition of the Williams, you should have tuned them out immediately.
Old 10 Jun 2000, 00:57 (Ref:16521)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As stated on the F1 side of the Board, Zanardi and Montoya are two entirely different men. Zanardi could not handle the current F1 car (in fact, he could not handle the first F1 car he tried, either) - Montoya has driven the current F1 cars and Sir Frank has seen him do it and knows his abilities. Zanardi was considerably older than Montoya - and although Moreno looks pretty zippy as always, I think we have to say that the current brand of F1 car is better handled by the young and invincible. JPM could win races in a wheelbarrow. He is totally focused on his racing, and as Blundell so eloquently puts it, his arrogance comes from the knowledge that he can get out there and drive - that he can prove himself on the track.

Be afraid, Michael. Be very afraid ... and if you don't know why you should be afraid, nip down the pitlane and have a word with one Alain Prost ...
Old 10 Jun 2000, 04:37 (Ref:16545)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
As I said, I don't think that Montoya will be as bad as Zanardi, but I don't think he will win the Championship either.

F1 is a thousand times harder than Cart, and very few drivers have won the WC in their first year. (Anyone know if anyone has ever done so?)

Juan will be up against the best drivers in the world. Most of the drivers in Cart could not even grasp just how far ahead the top F1 drivers are. And I don't know if Montoya can either.

I think Montoya will do all right. Probably a little better than Jensen Botton, but that will only be because Juan will have a better car. However, I have no doubt that Ralf will be ahead at the end of the season. Ralf has proved that he is one of the top drivers in F1, Montoya has proved he is quick in testing, which is not the race.

The other thing I am worried about is his arrogance. He can take that attitude in F1, but he will also have to deal with not being able to lead every race.
Old 10 Jun 2000, 11:18 (Ref:16567)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's getting a rehearsal for that in his lousy Toyota powered explode-o-matic this year, isn't he?

Senna was arrogant and confident although at first he did not win every race. It didn't hold him back for long. It won't hold Montoya back either.

Yes a lot of the CART pilotes don't understsand the difference, but Montoya has driven these cars, Jay! He does know the difference.
Old 11 Jun 2000, 03:22 (Ref:16673)   #8
Fql
Rookie

Fql should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya's future

I think that when he finally hangs up his helmet Juan Montoya will be regarded as one of the greatest race car drivers of all time. I believe Blundell is right. The Schue will be on the other foot.
Old 11 Jun 2000, 03:30 (Ref:16675)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Good one!
Old 11 Jun 2000, 03:34 (Ref:16677)   #10
Fql
Rookie

Fql should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CU at LeMans Liz

I see from the sportscar section you will be at the 24. We will be too. Post 70.
Old 11 Jun 2000, 03:41 (Ref:16680)   #11
Dan
Rookie

Dan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay.........is your real name Jay, or is it Alex Z.? Or maybe Dario F.? ......Ralf?

Montoya will be champion if the car is as good as we all (except Jay)expect it to be. God help BMW.....because Juan needs no help for being the best.
Old 11 Jun 2000, 04:20 (Ref:16694)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Liz, tell me how many times Juan has driven against Micheal Schumacher, Jacques Villeneuve, Mika Hakkinen etc. I can't remember it.

You guys all seem to think that he will win the WC in his first year. This seems highly unlikely to me. He may win it eventually but not in his first year.

You have to consider that he was driving for the best Cart team there is. Toyota or not he has had the best car in teh field for the past 2 years. He has also had little good competition. Zanardi showed just how far behind Cart was to F1. I don't think Zanardi was ever that great of a driver, so it came as no surprise to me to see Montoya winning races and then the championship last year.

Once again. All I am saying is that Montoya will not win the F1 World Championship in 2001. I think he will do quite well for a rookie. If the Williams is good, and he is lucky he might even win a race. I would be very surprised if he won the WC before, say, 2003.

BTW, none of the greats won the WC in their first year, so why would you expect that of Montoya?
[Edited by Jay on 11th June 2000]
Old 11 Jun 2000, 13:50 (Ref:16742)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Who's been saying he's going to win the WDC next year? I'm just saying he's going to be as good as Senna was when he started in F1 - and will improve at the same rate and win about the same time Senna did. You watch what the great pilotes were like when they started out and you will see that he's in the same mold. Maybe it would be more satisfaction for some people if he falls flat on his face, but I wouldn't put my money on that if I were you.
Old 11 Jun 2000, 17:35 (Ref:16761)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This talk of CART competition not being a true test for a drivers skill is rubbish. Granted, the top drivers will always go to F1 because that's where the big money is; but every driver has to come from somewhere. And watching Montoya's thorough domination only leads one to believe that he will show very well in F1. Of course his odds of winning the WDC will be very slim and anyone with their brain firing on all cylinders knows this. His only obstactle will be the absoloute lack of wheel to wheel racing in F1, which in my opinion shows the true mettle of a RACER!

P.S. I'm just happy that i have tickets to the Toronto Indy so that i may see him RACE one last time, before he hops on the F1 train.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 06:59 (Ref:17145)   #15
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's very hard to argue with Blundell's assessment.

Juan Pablo's untested in F1 races -- for the moment. Let him get his bearings and then . . . watch your mirrors.
Old 14 Jun 2000, 12:53 (Ref:17212)   #16
Regs
Rookie

Regs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well put Enemy Ace!
Old 19 Jun 2000, 22:42 (Ref:18126)   #17
jb
Rookie

jb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why would anyone want to quote blundell on anything, anyway! he needs to spend more time behind the wheel, not in front of the interviewer's microphone!

i mean, is this newsworthy?
Old 20 Jun 2000, 03:41 (Ref:18163)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Welcome jb. You make a good point. Blundell has never been able to put up much of a show in either series. But the thing about motor racing is that when anybody who has any connections to the sport opens his mouth it is put on some news website.

However, the viewpoint that Montoya is the next Senna is one that a number of Cart fans feel true. The thing is, a number of drivers have put on great shows in the lower formulae, but done nothing in F1. Martin Brundle is an example.