Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Apr 2007, 11:51 (Ref:1886323)   #1
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I agree completely with Saleen, GT1 elsewhere its as strong as there are cars available to support it.

FIA GT2 is sort of like GT1 here, the heavy hitters are factory supported and the indepedent teams in GT2 struggle to keep pace. That is why GT2 grid numbers are down, its basically a fight between a few Ferrari teams supported by Ferrari either with tech support and drivers or just tech support; vs Porsche factory supported efforts to claim the GT2 championship back from Ferrari.

With 8-10 elite cars clogging up the podium is there much reason for a unsupported private team to compete?

You could say the same thing about ALMS GT1, but being that there's a 3rd poduim spot open at every event, you also win 1st place money by not beings supported by a factory, as is Pratt-Miller; why you don't see anybody just "circulating" fast enough to meet the min lap time is pretty interesting.

Yes its costly to run a GT1 car but its funny how some people put it into the context that its beneath an LMP1 and that if you have the money to run a GT1 car, you should automatically run LMP1 and get brow beaten by Audi...

That doesn't make alot of sense if you ask me or holds very little water, your basically just an LMP fanboy and if it was up to you, you would eliminate GT1 straight-away and "force" GM to run LMP1, which of course has no idenity with any production car and GM WON'T DO IT.

What you need is an owner with "tener cojones" that wants to beat GM at their own game. Which can be done, but its going to thump your wallet pretty good and that's why you only have the 2 yellow cars on the grid.

Which considering what I just said about an automatically open poduim spot, the chance for at least 2nd place finish (given #3's driveline failure at St Pete) WHY ON EARTH isn't anybody OUT THERE???

Pickett rather run an LMP1, uhm his fat arse doesn't fit in a modern GT1 car?

I guess that would be the case... He rather get beaten by not only the Audi's but almost everybody else in LMP2 on the track, but back into a podium spot until Intersport solves their tire issues.

That's how I read it anyway...

Who's left in America to run a elite GT1 effort?

I think it will be somebody that's disenchanted about IRL, Champ Car or NASCAR. Its hard to say NO to the money in Cup or Busch so I would say that isn't likely. But as IRL/Champ Car continues to struggle, who knows??

Last edited by dj4monie; 8 Apr 2007 at 11:54.