Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Jul 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1957160)   #1
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sam Hornish Jr. in NASCAR

Penske racing has been considering putting their IRL star in NASCAR for next year, Mobil 1 will probably be the sponsor. There is a possibility that Sam Hornish Jr. could run a few races in the cup after the end of the IRL series.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...d=2&id=2922723
Old 8 Jul 2007, 03:33 (Ref:1957250)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not a big surprise here. As much of a great asset he has been to Indycar racing during this decade, there nothing left for him to accomplish in the IRL. Unlike many of the open-wheel drivers who have bolted for the stock car ranks in recent years, Hornish does need the new challenge which NASCAR will provide, and if this is indeed the next step in his career, I wish him the best of luck.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 06:54 (Ref:1957305)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3 indy car titles & an indy 500 victory to his name reads a pretty good cv - have a crack at stock car racing sam, nothing more to be achieved in IRL .... plus, if he goes to nascar there will be a vacant indy car seat for maybe a certain aussie with initials rb
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1959472)   #4
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
Jacko44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard to say if putting him in a cup car next year would be the right move... Hasn't proved himself yet in the busch series (7 starts with an average finish of 32.5) but of course he'll get better over time.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 17:28 (Ref:1960857)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Penske racing has been considering putting their IRL star in NASCAR for next year, Mobil 1 will probably be the sponsor. There is a possibility that Sam Hornish Jr. could run a few races in the cup after the end of the IRL series.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/s...d=2&id=2922723
Are new oil company sponsors permitted in Nascar since Sunoco took over as official fuel supplier.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 17:56 (Ref:1960875)   #6
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
Are new oil company sponsors permitted in Nascar since Sunoco took over as official fuel supplier.
Mobil 1 has been a sponsor for Penske Racing in Nascar for some time, and for a few races in the Cup and Busch series they have been the main title sponsor.

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2007/12cup.htm
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:25 (Ref:1962740)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sam has done it all in the IRL. The winngest driver in league history and the only person to win more than 1 league title and of course 3 and also 2 titles back-to-back and also of course winning different titles in different cars.

Then of course he's responcible for the 9 closest of 10 finishes in the history of the IRL probably...And of course that close finish to victory at Indy last year. He'll be missed. NASCARs gain however Sam did terrible in the Busch races last year.

I expect Sam will try and do the Indy 500 before the Coke 600 at Charlotte if he can. Well start the 500 atleast.

I will follow Sam with great interest like I followed Juan, I just can't see him bassed on past performance cutting it which is strange as he is that good on the ovals.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1962788)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go for it sam- although i would like to see him try champ cars first and Unify a US openwheel crown...and then go to NASCAR...or maybe he should give a go at sports cars, it couldn't hurt ALMS/Grand-am at all...
Old 15 Jul 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1963567)   #9
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There isn't quite the same restriction on oil companies as on cell phone companies. NASCAR only seems to be touchy when they are advertising fuel (like Shell) and not so much oil brands (like Pennzoil). So since the Mobil 1 oil is the sponsor and not Mobil fuels I think they'll be okay.

J.D.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 14:32 (Ref:1963627)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
There isn't quite the same restriction on oil companies as on cell phone companies. NASCAR only seems to be touchy when they are advertising fuel (like Shell) and not so much oil brands (like Pennzoil). So since the Mobil 1 oil is the sponsor and not Mobil fuels I think they'll be okay.

J.D.
I hope you are right as I don't like to see restrictions on sponsorships.

Another thing though to consider. Would Penske still bring Hornish to Nascar if he is successful in landing Kyle Busch as a driver for 2008. Penske is one of 4 teams that is still in the running for Kyle.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1963777)   #11
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the most likely scenario if Kyle Busch joins would be for Ryan Newman to leave. They've said his ride was safe and he is under contract next year, but the way the team has struggled and the persistent rumours it doesn't seem out of the question. In my personal opinion from what I've seen in the past Newman can't be happy with the way the team is performing, especially considering how they ran 3 or years ago.

J.D.