Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 18 Jul 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1966736)   #26
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its kind of funny when I see someone refer to NASCAR and their restrictions on technology as a bunch of uneducated rednecks that don't understand fuel injection. Most of those rednecks ran Enderle or similar mechanical injector systems on their dirt cars for years before racing in the Grand National (NASCAR) series. Carbs are more reliable and part of the tradition of stock car racing and is the easiest way to control the rules bending that is inherent in the series.

The series is based on consistency and finishing. They do not have time to replace an entire CPU controlled FI system because of some simple grounding issue or blown fuse when a 650cfm carb literally never fails.

Besides, there are tons of things that need to be changed in NASCAR besides under the hood that would easily make things better.
Never forget #99
Old 18 Jul 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1966835)   #27
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of the reasons I would like to see nascar go to a form of FI or even carbs/jets for each track is to eliminate the restrictor plate aspect. I know the idea of nascar as a show is a big seller to alot of people and the big one is a selling point but I would love to see them able to race like they can at Atlanta rather than the follow-the-leader races that is the norm now.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 23:49 (Ref:1971612)   #28
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The restrictor plate is all about kerbing the power of the motors they run. Let them run unrestricted at Daytona, or Talledega, you're looking a Stockcars doing 230mph+ The wrecks are bad enough now.

And yes, those Enderle or Kinsler mechanical injection systems are simplicity themselves. Newer EFI upgrades are available that make them the biz.

Which reminds me of comments made about one of my cars. Running a 403ci all alloy chevy, Busch spec 18deg heads, and an 850cfm quickfuels carb. The air cleaner was above the bonnet/hood, so I made a bulge to cover it. The speed of the car prompted people to complain about the bulge. I offered to fit fuel injection and lower the level. When they realised that EFI would yield me another 100bhp, they said "leave the bulge, it's OK, really"

Another reason, not to go EFI on the Cup cars. They have enough power now.
Old 24 Jul 2007, 00:14 (Ref:1971624)   #29
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I can see putting fuel injection systems on cars running at fairly constant revs would be advantage-less. The advantage behind fuel injection is it's ability to vary fuel mixtures with engine speed, but this is not a necessary function so it'd be lost.

That is, when they race on ovals..
Old 24 Jul 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1972581)   #30
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The difference I was discussing (with my car) was going from a 4 barrel Quickfuels 850cfm carb to a multi (8) throttle body setup, like a Kinsler, which would flow even more air than the 850cfm that the car can. Mid range power would have been up dramatically, increasing the yee-harrr factor even more for road course operation (navigation via the side windows).

Alex - come to Rockingham, see fuel injected cars on the oval!!