Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Jul 2007, 06:47 (Ref:1966280)   #1
zxrno1
Rookie

zxrno1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hans or Leatt

I am trying to decide between a Hans device or a Leatt brace.
Does anyone have an views or experiences.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1966483)   #2
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just strap yourself in and enjoy the ride, ohh remember, keep the wheels facing the bottom and stay on the black stuff. Just Joking.

If you search the Europe and North Amrica sites for results of racing accidents you should be able to glean some info from investigations.

example Dale Ernhardt.

cheers
Old 18 Jul 2007, 23:10 (Ref:1966994)   #3
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Check the NASR (Speedway) site.

They have mandatory HANS or equivelent regulations in place and a list of approved items somewhere on their web site.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 23:21 (Ref:1967000)   #4
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Having worn both of them in competiton, I would take a HANS device anyday. I found that the Leatt device was very restrictive and uncomfortable.
Old 19 Jul 2007, 02:44 (Ref:1967055)   #5
ssracer
Rookie

ssracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At first i hated the hans, but changes my seat and now am VERY happy with it.
The back of my cobra seat was hitting the hans and in turn hitting my helmet
and was very distracting and uncomfortable.
Never tried the leatt, and don't like the idea of it.

Anything is better than nothing.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 04:44 (Ref:1967999)   #6
Ironmike
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Ironmike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a HANS device. Only time it was unusual was the first time I wore it and that was just getting used to it.. By the 3rd practice session I didn't even know I was wearing it. I've never tried anything else. Only times it is frustrating is in the pits when you could do with a bit more head movement
Old 22 Jul 2007, 01:46 (Ref:1969558)   #7
Mando
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Mando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started wearing a HANS this year. The first time I wore it, I didn't connect the tethers (new helmet hadn't arrived), and I didn't even notice it after I left pit lane the first time.

I like to wear my belts *very* tight, and I found the HANS helps me get a little bit more tension into the belts. The only odd thing is that the belts don't touch my upper stomach any more (I'm quite skinny).

As mentioned by others, the only difficulty is when you want to look around in the pits, or wave to other drivers on a cool down lap. But for the improvement in safety, its easily worth it.

If you do get one, I have one little piece of advice. Always check yourself that the tethers are clipped in correctly. At the start, I would get a pitcrew to do them up - and one time, I found that one clip was only loosely on. If I'd crashed, that would have caused a horrible rotation of my neck.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 22:09 (Ref:1970574)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can I also suggest you spend the couple of extra dollars and get the tethers with the quick release clips as in a hurry the medics will just cut the tethers, plus it's much easier to get the helmets off in a hurry with the quick release versions fitted.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 05:22 (Ref:1970791)   #9
zxrno1
Rookie

Thanks guys, that gives me something to think about.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 11:11 (Ref:1987440)   #10
zxrno1
Rookie

I went and had a look at both of the devices again, I haven't seen an older Leatt brace, but the "new model" I brought seems to do everything the Hans does, and has "passed" the same safety test etc. I tried it yesterday for the first time at our club event at Sandown, it felt comfortable in the car and head and neck movement is limited in all the places they say it should be, I did find that as it was raining in the morning sessions it was a challege to adjust the swaybar and brake bias, as they are behind the gear shift and you cannot bend your head down, Hopefully the weather will be better for the touring car challenge in two weeks, and it feels the same at a faster pace.

Mark
Old 13 Aug 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1987568)   #11
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Off topic, I heard a rumour that CAMS where out breath testing everyone at Sandown yesterday (HSV club day) is that correct?
Old 13 Aug 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1987981)   #12
Rocket Ship
Rookie

Rocket Ship should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my old man just bought a leatt brace (the new one) said it was great forgot about it as soon as he left the pits. i think it is better as it supports you 4 ways instead of 2 like the hans
Old 14 Aug 2007, 01:50 (Ref:1988071)   #13
zxrno1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
Off topic, I heard a rumour that CAMS where out breath testing everyone at Sandown yesterday (HSV club day) is that correct?

They sure did I know of two that were tested, and I think there was more, but they were not breath testing it was a urine sample, pretty full on for a club day, the results will not be back for three weeks, at first I thought they were checking for people over .00 or had be smoking etc, but with three weeks before the results come back, they must have something else to look at.

Tags
hans