Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Nov 2007, 00:06 (Ref:2071311)   #51
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
It seems to me that a lot of suggestions surrounding this LMP3 concept/series and mixing it in with P2 and P1 cars are from people who don't fully understand the concept of these cars

LMP1 and LMP2 are carbon chassis cars designed for professional racing teams to run, they are some of the most advanced and complex machines in the world. They all have to get through a fairly tough set of crash tests (I have a nice illustration of the R10 load pattern - I'll post it in the morning)
the cheapest of them cost in excess of 300,000 euro

"LMP3" is a term used for sub LMP2 prototypes, it has been bandied around by many (including me, to the point where I'm often credited with inventing it - not the case) these cars like the Ligier or the Juno are designed for amatuers to run and are mainly metal chassis (the Japanese cars and Panoz DP02 being the notable exceptions). On the whole the cost under 100,000 euro.

Racing them together is possible - see the Vallelunga Gold Cup, but in the current climate its pointless. What I would like to see is a LMS and ALMS support package to include a series based on the first season incarnation of Lites but with CN cars in Lites 1
Wahey, someone understands!

There is a HUGE difference, it would not work to make a P3/P2, because the P2 would be too slow or the P3 too fast or expensive.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 13:00 (Ref:2071664)   #52
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
It seems to me that a lot of suggestions surrounding this LMP3 concept/series and mixing it in with P2 and P1 cars are from people who don't fully understand the concept of these cars
True.

I don't know the details, the costs, the work or the effort required, so making stabs in the dark is all I can do, in all honesty. Still, worth a punt if it gets ideas going and a topic discussed, isn't it?

I like the idea of common classes - a sports prototype is going to be associated with modern day LM racing nowadays, so to bunch them all together may be good for marketing purposes, amongst other things?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2071668)   #53
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
True.

I don't know the details, the costs, the work or the effort required, so making stabs in the dark is all I can do, in all honesty. Still, worth a punt if it gets ideas going and a topic discussed, isn't it?

I like the idea of common classes - a sports prototype is going to be associated with modern day LM racing nowadays, so to bunch them all together may be good for marketing purposes, amongst other things?
not really.

the current LMS is fine, and LMP3 could grow, just not yet.

needs time.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 20:28 (Ref:2072773)   #54
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
the current LMS is fine
I never said it wasn't? I don't know what your thinking is with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
LMP3 could grow, just not yet.

needs time.
Fact is, lower prototype series like VdeV and the numerous Radical series (including the LMS-supporting Radical World Cup) have great grid numbers. They already have grown - it's not brand new regs for a brand new idea, it's grouping together what's already there under one banner.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 00:42 (Ref:2073056)   #55
bickers
Rookie

United Kingdom
sheffield
bickers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VdeV has a fantastic format and is already incredibly popular with teams who have previously run in british gt and the like now coming over,There is generally a waiting list as it is so popular.The series is so great as there are a good set of rules and it's controlled well,eg no carbon allowed.It keeps the costs down but is still a fantastic competitive series.
The uk series starts properly this year and i'm sure it will follow suit of the French series!Trying to bundle cn cars in with lmp1 and 2 cars into a series togther just simply wont work and is crazy!
Leave the series as it is,if it aint broke dont fix comes to mind!