Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 1 Dec 2007, 02:21 (Ref:2079138)   #1
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ganassi impressed by the way Montoya dealt with competitors and kept their respect

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Chip Ganassi was not surprised by what former open-wheel star Juan Pablo Montoya did on the track in 2006, but the NASCAR team owner says he was impressed by the way the Nextel Cup rookie of the year related to his competitors.

"I think first and foremost, he did a great job in the garage area," Ganassi said of Montoya, who won the 1999 CART championship and the 2000 Indianapolis 500 driving for Ganassi before spending several years in Formula One.

"If you look at his garage-area appeal, he started off real strong, started to go down real fast and just kept his game on," Ganassi added. "It was really amazing how other drivers reacted to him. He came in with a lot of respect, stepped on himself, but then got it back.

"And, for all the antics he and (Kevin) Harvick had all summer, it's amazing they're still buddies."

Full article at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...uto&id=3132405

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 4 Dec 2007, 19:30 (Ref:2081585)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What planet is Chip Ganassi on?

Montoya alienated every single driver in NASCAR. He's an idiot!
Old 4 Dec 2007, 20:28 (Ref:2081612)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have come across people who do that.

However Ganassi' words are interesting if you read them. He's on the planet near NASCAR. Everyone has spats in NASCAR. Ganassi is describing how he did dip, but then regained respect.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 22:02 (Ref:2081683)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe certain people you encounter in real life could learn from the way Montoya regained the respect of his contemporaries after acting the fool and shooting his mouth off at times.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 23:38 (Ref:2081723)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya has earned my respect and I am an "old" diehard Nascar fan. Now, lets see if he can keep it, not that I am important.

Another that has earned my respect is a driver that many simply do not like (and neither did I until recently) by the name of Robby Gordon. This guy has guts and works harder than most in the sport.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 13:09 (Ref:2082089)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When did he shoot his mouth off? He has generally been pretty graceful and respectful off-track (with the exception of his lack of apology for wrecking almost everyone in the "All Star" heat, for which there was no excuse).

He lost respect with the mid-season incidents primarily. There was that period of time where he just seemed to be trying to do too much with his car. The Pepsi 400 was a prime example, when he shot Harvick into the wall and ruined his race on the spot and the "All Star" heat I mentioned was a dark day. But since the incident at Watkins Glen, which wasn't really his fault, he kept his nose pretty clean and ran well and you could sense people were more comfortable running with him.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 19:16 (Ref:2082320)   #7
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw JPM having a friendly chat with Stewart, J. Gordon, and Kurt Busch on the grid before the race during the pre-race show late in the season. Clearly these three top drivers respect him. Even Harvick, his biggest nemesis, is friends with him again if we are to believe Ganassi.

Everyone knew JPM has a ton of talent. What caused him trouble was his aggressive driving, which caused a lot of wrecks during the first 2/3 of the year. However, as knowsley noted, he raced pretty clean the rest of the way and I think the drivers trust him now.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 12 Dec 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2087474)   #8
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
Sparky7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM calmed down quite a bit during the later races in the season. I think he's very talented and he says he's having more fun now than he ever did before.

~~~Barb~~~

Tags
jpm