Attached Thumbnails
Track 1.bmp  
Old 6 Mar 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2145797)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The shape would work possibly for a fictional street circuit.

Might I suggest that perhaps you could have a play around with MS paint, the Curve tool wil allow you to add more definition to your designs. It will also make your graphics less blocky.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2145816)   #5
danman999
Rookie

danman999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track 2

Track 2
Attached Thumbnails
Track 2.bmp  
Old 6 Mar 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2145953)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, danman,

maybe a little background info would enhance our chance to better understand everything. What kind of vehicles are these tracks designed for? (approximately) How long are they supposed to be? What's the race direction?

bio
Old 7 Mar 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2146436)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah use the line and curve tools. Also, for grandstands, use the nine tool to make a box, then fill the inside. Keep working at it, put some thought into the track, dont just randomly draw something out, think about overtaking points, runoff, elevation etc... Have a look at some other people's tracks, and also look at some of my tracks, because I use paint too. Keep practising, I started off making tracks when I was about 8, and they were really wild lol, but 6 years later and i'm doing way better tracks.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2149246)   #8
danman999
Rookie

Track 3

Its not really done yet
Attached Thumbnails
Track 3 a.bmp  
Old 11 Mar 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2149255)   #9
danman999
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
Hi, danman,

maybe a little background info would enhance our chance to better understand everything. What kind of vehicles are these tracks designed for? (approximately) How long are they supposed to be? What's the race direction?

bio
thanks for the advice but first things first:

a) What would be an average length (e.g 1000 meters, 10 km or 100 km)
b) What else could my designs be like (e.g the first or the second one below)
Attached Thumbnails
1.bmp   2.bmp  
Old 11 Mar 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2149340)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, danman,

there isn't really an average track length - it strongly depend on what kind of race the track is designed for. If we talk about F1, for example, those tracks are around 5 kilometers in average I'd say. The regulations say that the minimum circuit length for F1 tracks is 3.5 kilometers and the advised maximum is 7 kilometers - but the existing F1 venues are all between 4 kilometers and 6 kilometers I think. Also, the longest straight section may not be longer than 2 kilometers.

Here's a good link for forther info on technical aspects:

http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/f1regs.html

As for your other question - I don't quite get it, I'm afraid. There are no prescribed track shapes. What you should, I think, bear in mind besides the regulations is practical points of view, like:

- those of the drivers and teams. Aspects like the track should not be too dangerous or too simple. The drivers would, very probably, like and appreciate a track that has a good rhythm, and a "good flow" - you probably get the meaning. For example, your first track of these two just above my comment seems to have a rather enjoyable flow (and the second one is not bad either). It means that the fast and slow, technical parts make up a good whole.

- those of the viewers. Like the track should promise an entertaining race, not too one sided (only straights or only corners). Those viewers who folloe the event on tv should get many interesting sections so they don't always get the same 2-3 spots throughout the 2-3 hours of the race. The fans who are along the track on the stands should have a view of as much of the track as possible. If you visit my thread ("bio's tracks") you'll see that it took me a while to get the hang of sensible stand placement - if I ever got that at all .

- those of the organizers. The track - or rather the races on it - should produce profit - as much as possible. For example, a track that is good for more types of racing (touring car, mtorcycle, F1) has a better cahnce for more races per year - and more profit, of course. Spectators are another good source of income - therefore maximizing the number and capacity of stands (so that they still are placed sensibly - noone would pay to see almost nothing) is vital - or it would seem to be, although if you look at the Quatar circuit with its 1 (!) stand you will have your doubts

But all this might be too complicated - so first, I think you should just do what you are doing: draw tracks from gut feeling - how you think they would look fun. And then you will get very useful feedback from all the other guys here who have been helping me a lot since I am here.

bio
Old 11 Mar 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2149355)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adding to what Bio has said,

In terms of layout, it's convention that the pitlane runs parallel to a straight (though tere is one or two around that don't).Pit entrances and exits are a subject of much discussion, depending on how the circuit is used (pitstops during races etc) it has become common though not regulation that the pitlane exits off the racing line.

Track shapes, almost anything goes, though there is a great deal of common sense in designs...for example, ensuring that a hairpin is of greater diameter than the turning radius of a car (this was a classic mistake made for the 06/07 A1GP street circuit at Beijing).
Flowing is good, though wiggly can be a bit follow-the-leader, Fast is good but very slow corners can lead to overtaking.

Basically throw that lot in the air and link together the pieces where the fall, and hopefully the circuit is drivable.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2149393)   #12
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at races on the telly and ask yourself what's good and what's not. Then browse a bit around on here and on sites like e-tracks.com. Then you may have about what you think would be a good circuit. Draw it, and think off all the important details, like runn off, paddockspaces, the pitlane, spectator viewings. Always keep in mind who you want to pleasure, the viewer, the accountant etc. Make changes if needed. Explain in the text what you have been doing and why.
Yes, it will take a while...

Last edited by werner; 11 Mar 2008 at 19:49.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 15:40 (Ref:2150066)   #13
danman999
Rookie

Track 4

Track 4
Attached Thumbnails
Track 4.bmp  
Old 12 Mar 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2150126)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Length: 3.8KM to 6.5 KM with about 4.5 to 4.8 km as a good distance

at least one straight of 1000 meters ( or long gentle sweeping corner ) for high speeds.

IMO not too many or too tight of hair pin corners.

One set of higher speed esses.

Decreasing radius corners are a b**ch to drive

Too many tight corners slow the cars down. No fun for drivers or spectators

Look at some popular tracks. Maybe take some of the better parts of current designs.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2150173)   #15
bio
Veteran

Hungary
AU N EGL,
please, next time don't forget to add that these are merely your preferences, not a kind of set of official criteria of such.

bio
Old 13 Mar 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2150722)   #16
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
AU N EGL,
please, next time don't forget to add that these are merely your preferences, not a kind of set of official criteria of such.

bio
Sorry Bio

Not my opnion but the opnion of most ppl who race, and promote races.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2150785)   #17
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Wow, you know most people who race and promote cars?

bio
Old 13 Mar 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2150857)   #18
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
been around a quite a few tracks, in a race car, plus there were several studies a few years ago, on what promotors and race drivers like and dislike.

Not to mention many of the smaller tracks in the US with short designs, too many corners, too many hairpins, dont get races, nor do car clubs even what to rent these tracks for club events.

Not sure what car clubs in Europe feel about shorter, tighter tracks. PPL tend to like faster highspeed tracks so they can get their cars going.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2152424)   #19
Feffman
Rookie

United States
Gateway To The West - St. Louis
Feffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The liability issues in the USA (America, the land of the lawsuit lottery!) seem to be driving track design nationally. There are a good number of "country club tracks" being developed (how many will get off the ground is another story) and nearly all of them are multi-track, tight designs. Spending the proposed money many of these developers are, it befuddles me why they don't build a phenminal track like Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen, Road America, etc. The upside, the more road courses, the merrier.

Happy Motoring!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Old 15 Mar 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2152446)   #20
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Guess who is desgining these new Country club tracks? YES Mr Alan Wilson . .
Old 15 Mar 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2152863)   #21
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I think we're starting to go kore an more off-topic here...