Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 5 Feb 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2121636)   #1
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Care for camera in low temps

OK, going to Rally Sweden this weekend.
Just wondering what I should do to care for my camera (30d) in the cold temps. Apart from the obvious like don't drop it
What do do about condensation on the lens, etc..?
Old 5 Feb 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2121732)   #2
timtime
Rookie

timtime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zac

The weather forecast is worryingly warm for this weekend (3' to 5')and has caused some consternation for the organisers I believe.

I am no expert but I believe turning off features that you can live without such as the LCD screen is a good idea. Taking the batteries out will help when not in use and keeping them warm even if they're just in a pocket next to your body is a good idea. Keep the camera in a bag rather than slung over your shoulder for as long as possible should help minimise condensation. Put a bag over the lens so the condensation forms on the bag and not on the lens. If it is freezing avoid breathing on the camera as the breath will condense and can cause problems. Similarly try to protect the camera from snow getting thrown up on to the camera and freezing.

These are things that I can recall as being advisory and would bow to far greater knowledge.

Hope you have a good time whatever and I suppose its one time when you hope the forecast is wrong and it really is cold.

Regards

Tim
Old 5 Feb 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2121785)   #3
photohsr
Racer

Canada
Burlington, Ontario
photohsr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
OK, going to Rally Sweden this weekend.
Just wondering what I should do to care for my camera (30d) in the cold temps. Apart from the obvious like don't drop it
What do do about condensation on the lens, etc..?
If the temperature is above freezing there isn't much to be concerned about. The viewfinder might fog with the heat from your eye, but it is no big deal. Try and have extra warm batteries and when you take the camera from the cold into a warm area have it in a sealed bag to prevent condensation. With a 30D keep it dry!

Bob H
Old 5 Feb 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2121801)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, I've only got one battery but I do have a big snap-lock bag that will fit the camera. Cheers for the tips.

I hope it's cold!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2122032)   #5
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont eat the yellow snow either

Technically thats nothing to do with photography, but i guess its a vital survival tip..

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2124101)   #6
PFdesign
Rookie

PFdesign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just keep it under your coat when not in use - body warmth. Pulling batteries out is just asking for water/snow/dust to get in. I doubt you're snow-camping, but if you are, throw the camera inside the foot of your sleeping bag overnight, maybe with a sock over it for comfort! Has worked for me sleeping outside in -30C!
Old 11 Feb 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2126790)   #7
CLIP-Motorsport
Rookie

England
CLIP-Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cold may affect the battery life, don't be surprised if you run flat a little sooner than normal.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2147380)   #8
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Battery life is one of your problems stopping your fingers freezing is second! I did some work in Concord Mass some years back an out door shoot in -28 with windchil camera (Nikon F4s) was fine my hands were a different story could not were gloves so had to keep my hands in pockets until ready to snap! Not sure that's an option on a rally
Old 9 Mar 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2147613)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not too bad on a rally, you can warm your hands up in between cars. Can be a bit diferrent at a track.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 23:52 (Ref:2147877)   #10
SimonRR
Rookie

SimonRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Solution to not being able to wear gloves and shoot? Invest in a set of mechanics gloves or something similar (I have a pair of Alpinestars motocross gloves) and you can still shoot in them while taking some of the cold off your hands!
Old 11 Mar 2008, 08:32 (Ref:2148943)   #11
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Not too bad on a rally, you can warm your hands up in between cars. Can be a bit diferrent at a track.
Its getting two cars to stand still long enough to warm you hands between them I could think of other things to keep my hands warm but this is a public forum......

See you at Oulton Park Mike I assume your there? I will not be snapping cos of other duties but will be about all weekend and dont forget NO cars run on Sunday...
Old 22 Mar 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2159168)   #12
slotcarnews
Rookie

United States
Hughesville, Pa.
slotcarnews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a pair of gloves I use when I shoot, one glove is a mitten (for the hand used to brace the front of the camera, not for exposure) and a fingerless glove on the hand used for exposure. It works quite well.

Keep the batteries you don't use in a pocket inside a jacket, closer to your body. And you should be fine. Charge up your batteries so they're both fully charged before you leave. Buy a backup battery, which shouldn't cost that much on somewhere like Mydigitaldiscount(dot)com. With at least 2-3 batteries you should be able to shoot all day if all are fully charged in the temps you mentioned.

The 30D can get pretty wet and still function fine. I had my older, backup 20D bodies quite wet and they worked fine. They aren't sealed as well as pro line camera, but still they are pretty safe even when very wet.

DaveK