Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jul 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2260162)   #51
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did manage to get a giggle out of Skaife when I told him my wife loved him more than me - just as she had her arms wrapped around him getting her photo taken.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2260606)   #52
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't met Skaife, but his wife is very friendly

The drivers have very busy weekends at the race track for sure, but theres no excuse to be rude. They should be over the moon that someone respects their skills/career enough to ask for an autograph.

I've encountered the same bad attitude from people at state events though, so its not restricted to "V8 Superstars". In fact, the one time I met Garth Tander was at a state race meeting and he seemed pretty friendly.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 22:47 (Ref:2260608)   #53
Ironmike
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Ironmike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
back a few years ago when Seto was still racing I was at the clipsal and Seto was walking thro the paddock back to his pit bay after doing an autograph session with other drivers. I saw it was Seto and I had an old nokia mobile phone with a Glenn Seton cover on it. I walked up to Seto and asked for him to sign it. He signed it straight away and about 30 people made a circle around him wanting more autographs from him. I felt so bad because now he had to sign everyone else's gear after doing an autgraph session for people anyway. He didn't say no to anyone and was very pleasant to speak to.

A year or 2 later at the clipsal again Ambrose was doing some signatures out the back of his pit bay and a guy came up to him wearing a holden shirt with many autographs already on the shirt. This guys asked Ambrose to sign his shirt on the armpit. Without hesitation Ambrose signed his underarm and had a laugh with this holden supporter - it was great to see

This year at Darwin a friend of mine bought a 888 hat and wanted to get it signed, CL and JW were out the front signing autographs anyway, so I went up and got their autograph. To get their signature we had to make a gold coin donation to the red cross foundation (which I thought was a good cause). I had a quick chat with Jamie and told him I owed him a beer after his race 2 win at clipsal in 06 (I think) when I had money on him and he was 15-1 odds. He laughed and said that he was happy to make me money and would take me up on that beer later. Once again very pleasant to speak to. I still owe him that beer.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2260613)   #54
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what have we learned here?

Race car drivers have good days and bad days, like anybody else.

There's the odd one that doesn't seem to enjoy themselves much, but anybody in an office with 29 people will see at least one of those unpleasant characters.

Wow, who would have thought they'd be just like us, only faster???
Old 31 Jul 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2260896)   #55
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction
Wow, who would have thought they'd be just like us, only faster???
Speak for yourself ... I coulda beena contender
Old 1 Aug 2008, 06:37 (Ref:2261439)   #56
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
I haven't met Skaife, but his wife is very friendly

The drivers have very busy weekends at the race track for sure, but theres no excuse to be rude. They should be over the moon that someone respects their skills/career enough to ask for an autograph.

I've encountered the same bad attitude from people at state events though, so its not restricted to "V8 Superstars". In fact, the one time I met Garth Tander was at a state race meeting and he seemed pretty friendly.
Which wife?
Old 1 Aug 2008, 07:05 (Ref:2261451)   #57
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike
back a few years ago when Seto was still racing I was at the clipsal and Seto was walking thro the paddock back to his pit bay after doing an autograph session with other drivers. I saw it was Seto and I had an old nokia mobile phone with a Glenn Seton cover on it. I walked up to Seto and asked for him to sign it. He signed it straight away and about 30 people made a circle around him wanting more autographs from him. I felt so bad because now he had to sign everyone else's gear after doing an autgraph session for people anyway. He didn't say no to anyone and was very pleasant to speak to.
That reminds me when I first got Peter Brock's autograph at Calder some years ago. I saw him walk out of the HRT transporter by himself and asked him very politely if he would sign my jacket, which he did. Just as he started signing my jacket, people started running up the paddock towards Brocky and within ten seconds he was surrounded by around 20-30 people (and more came as more people spotted him). I got my sig and got out of the crowd to make some room for others and just watched him chatting to all these strangers even whilst he was signing and posing for photos with people. And even though he was surrounded by all these people asking for a little bit of his time he was just so friendly and down to earth. Great memories.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2261587)   #58
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Scream'n_Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the 2005 Pukekohe round and Murph was out the back of his garage signing things for anybody who walked by, even though almost nobody was around! He signed my hat but he wasn't too keen to chat, although I can't blame him I guess.

Marcus Marshal came to my go kart track in Hamilton this year as a corporate thing with Irwin tools. He proceeded to destroy their sales reps and was a very nice down to earth guy. I didn't want to annoy him or anything though with stupid questions, especially seeing as we were providing a corporate function for his sponsor and they deserved his time instead of me. Although the one odd thing that sticks out in my mind was his manager/media minder/support person (who I think is his dad?) was very keen to make sure he got the 'best' kart and got quite upset about Marcus not being as fast as some of our regular drivers (whose laptimes were on our 'top 10' laptimes of the month board). He claimed there was something wrong with the kart, I asked Marcus if he wanted another but he said it was one of the best indoor ones he'd driven!
Old 1 Aug 2008, 11:35 (Ref:2261608)   #59
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
So what does everyone do with all these things they get autographed,do you frame them and hang them on wall,build a shrine to your hero display them in the living room,wear them while your watching V8's on Tv or flog them on ebay and make your fortune?.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2261625)   #60
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hats i just pile up bring them out to brag to people i meet so and so t-****s the same, posters go straight on the wall (can't see a milimeter of paint on my wall) my autographed photo with brocky is on the top shelf of the bookcase beside my bed.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2261892)   #61
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07
Just as he started signing my jacket, people started running up the paddock towards Brocky and within ten seconds he was surrounded by around 20-30 people (and more came as more people spotted him). I got my sig and got out of the crowd to make some room for others.
I think you nailed the problem right there. It's not "you" they're too busy for, it's the army that follows.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 01:48 (Ref:2262948)   #62
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Although it does depend on the attitude of the fans that want the autographs- most people are pretty good in that respect. Like in the instance that I referred to Brocky, he was surrounded but from what I remember people were quite relaxed and patient-people weren't being pushy. I've found that if you be polite most drivers don't mind autographs although some are more friendly then others........And if their in a bad mood I just come back later.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 05:10 (Ref:2262978)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i find that if you are a grid girl you get signatures quicker, doesnt matter who the driver is
Old 4 Aug 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2262998)   #64
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From my time hanging around pit garages over the last few years, I can honestly say that all of the current crop are pretty good with the fans.

I watched in amazement on one night at Winton (can't remember which night) - at probably around 6:30pm - as a bunch of Holden "fans" waited for their "heroes" to emerge from a team meeting in the trailer.

Mr Tander opened the door at one point, looked out and saw the "fans", then obviously was called back in, so turned around and went back inside.

The waiting "fans" (maybe 10 of them) immediately started slagging Garth off - "who does he think he is?", "if that's what he thinks...", "what an ****hole", etc.

They proceded to wait, and Garth emerged a few minutes later and walked over to greet the "fans" as they demanded that he sign everything and pose for photos.

He gladly did and engaged in some small talk, despite having to put up with stupidity such as buffoons telling him he should take all the Fords out.

Yes, drivers (and all celebrities for that matter) should be polite to fans, but they also put up with a ridiculous amount of rudeness thrust towards them.

Maybe, just try being a little understanding when dealing with your favourite superstars - they have to put up with a lot of morons, and they also have the odd bad day.

If a driver rushes past an autograph request, give him the benefit of the doubt and try again another time.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 00:09 (Ref:2266592)   #65
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gross ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebushman
Which current V8 Superstar was approached by a young fan at a recent Eastern Creek event, politely asking for an autograph only to be told "Too ****ing busy"!!!

Poor lad was crushed.

Obviously autographs are given out during organized sessions when the driver is paid to be there - Very poor form indeed.
Tandersport are running 3 cars in todays F3 at Phillip Island - who was the other goose who claimed Garth would be just watching his wife run around.

No way you could 'politely' ask for his interview today, or is please your definition of polite !!
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:11 (Ref:2266644)   #66
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Tandersport are running 3 cars in todays F3 at Phillip Island - who was the other goose who claimed Garth would be just watching his wife run around.

No way you could 'politely' ask for his interview today, or is please your definition of polite !!
Jeez Cavvy you make it sound like Tander’s the only driver ever to run a race team!

I don’t think the issue is with Tander knocking back an autograph, every sports star has to at some time or another. The issue is the attitude and language used, a simple ‘hey sport I’m pretty busy at the moment, could you come past later thank’ would have been better than “I’m Too ***ing busy!” (or is that Garth’s definition of polite?)

Mr Tander has to remember that these young fans are the reason he has the money to ‘watch is wife go round’

If Garth has no spare time for fans or media while running a support catagory team, me thinks he might struggle if he was an owner driver in the main game.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2266651)   #67
cavvy
Veteran

context

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA
Jeez Cavvy you make it sound like Tander’s the only driver ever to run a race team!

I don’t think the issue is with Tander knocking back an autograph, every sports star has to at some time or another. The issue is the attitude and language used, a simple ‘hey sport I’m pretty busy at the moment, could you come past later thank’ would have been better than “I’m Too ***ing busy!” (or is that Garth’s definition of polite?)

Mr Tander has to remember that these young fans are the reason he has the money to ‘watch is wife go round’

If Garth has no spare time for fans or media while running a support catagory team, me thinks he might struggle if he was an owner driver in the main game.
Busy people .... I dont defend the language, but it can slip out when you are pre occupied oh so easily & that seems to be your only criticism . I'd agree.

As for Garths hard work & talent ... no, just young fans !!!

Owner/driver in the main game, I'd never support it, crazy stuff !!! Carrera Cup, even div 2 V8s but thats probably a poor investment, the cars anyway.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2266677)   #68
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tander has graduated from the HRT school of people management. How else do you expect him to behave?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2266695)   #69
cavvy
Veteran

winners are grinners, the rest ...... Ford ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
Tander has graduated from the HRT school of people management. How else do you expect him to behave?
Not a big day for Garth, three cars, only one race win. Shocker !!
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2268122)   #70
User Name
Rookie

User Name should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Not a big day for Garth, three cars, only one race win. Shocker !!
you reap what you sow
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2268123)   #71
User Name
Rookie

User Name should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime