Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Aug 2008, 04:24 (Ref:2264242)   #51
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Also, V8s can't get a crowd to Eastern Creek - let alone a completely strange series like A1GP. Makes the NSW governments talks about F1 at Eastern Creek sound more ridiculous.
No that will never happen. But it sounds like the ARDC and the land owner(NSW) might be keen on an upgrade which is probably needed since it's getting up to 20 years.

I've seen the telecast of A1 races from EC as well as pictures and it looked at least as well attended as the V8 races.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 05:32 (Ref:2264256)   #52
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also, V8s can't get a crowd to Eastern Creek - let alone a completely strange series like A1GP. Makes the NSW governments talks about F1 at Eastern Creek sound more ridiculous.
We are not in disagreement. The place is a non-event, let us please move on to something new.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 06:10 (Ref:2264266)   #53
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt the Indy cars will be back in '09.

A1GP have already shown interest in the event and I think they'd fit in quite well.

What I'd really love to see though would be the ALMS series. I reckon they should get the ALMS to run a 12 hour enduro as well as the three V8 sprint races, now that would be worth watching. I was at the "Race of a thousand years" at Adelaide at it was great!

Regardless of whether it's A1GP (most likely) or ALMS, the event will continue to be a success because it's as much about the party atmosphere as the racing.

Paul.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 00:06 (Ref:2264855)   #54
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the ALMS were there I'd attend! I have no interest in the IRL.

While we're throwing around category names, what about SuperGT? Wasn't there talks of them heading to Bunbury for a round?

Either of those two would surely have to appeal more to the crowd than some obscure american open-wheel series (sorry!).

Last edited by RotorFan; 7 Aug 2008 at 00:09.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2265013)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Not true.

I know one year was 66,000.

that would be a 3 day crowd, compared to the nearly 300k they get at indy (over 4 days)
Old 7 Aug 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2265211)   #56
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP got about 20,000 on raceday, I'd say not more than 35,000 as a combined weekend total, and that's being generous.

If an ARDC official reckons they only had 1500 people, then he couldn't count the fingers on one hand. Grandstand almost full, plus lined fences up and down the pit straight, plus a good smattering across Corporate Hill and a whole bunch down at Turn 2..... I was there for every A1, I walked almost the whole circuit each year. 1500 is as big a fantasy as 66,000
Old 7 Aug 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2265273)   #57
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1500 is as big a fantasy as 66,000
Whatever way you cut it the crowd was sparse. Anyway it is all in the past. Let us hope this Homebush race can get the fans back to roadracing in this state.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2265406)   #58
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone considered the lack of interest at the Creek may have something to do with a general lack of regular motorsport in NSW these days?

Once upon a time you'd have the yearly championship rounds, but you'd also have the AMSCAR Series at Amaroo, and both Amaroo & Oran Park would have an endurance race each as well. Whilst not all the big guns were there at every meeting, there were still plenty of touring car races for fans to attend.

These days you have the Oran Park & Eastern Creek V8 rounds..... there is certainly other National programs (Shannons Series for example) that race in NSW, but they're lack of crowd pulling potential is not limited to NSW.... is that enough to keep people interested, along with the fact no teams are based in NSW anymore etc etc.... how will Homebush address these issues (if they are issues )
Old 7 Aug 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2265616)   #59
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Indy, but I only go to watch the v8 supercars.

Ok so the Champ Cars are good to watch, good to get the hype, but are as boring as batsh*t!

On the news last night Sports Minister Judy Spence was defending her recent trip to America to secure Indy for next year. Did she do well? nope! Indy pumps in roughly $90million to the local economy, with teams, drivers, accom, tickets etc..

A Leaked letter from Anna Bligh's office suggested that she hadnt even tried to get it back for 09 but what makes me wonder is... Is it worth getting a American National Series to come over here for a non competition round? I'd say try with A1GP or maybe make a enduro like someone else said on here..
Old 7 Aug 2008, 23:16 (Ref:2265626)   #60
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
I've got an idea. If the Indy Car deal falls through in '09 why doesn't the Australain GT ditch the Sandown Classic and run a 1000km endurance race at Surfers Paradise as their finale to the season. The timings pretty right and they could run on Saturday from say 3.00pm until about 7.30pm, finishing under lights. This would still give the V8s their 3 sprint races on Saturday morning and two on Sunday?

Now that would make for one spectacular event

Paul.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 23:52 (Ref:2265639)   #61
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Scrap that idea, I realise it's just too ambitious and won't be financially viable.

As you can tell I love my GT racing, perhaps a 500km race under lights on Saturday evening to supplement the A1GP and V8s.

That would still be great!
Old 8 Aug 2008, 08:51 (Ref:2265776)   #62
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ALMS option could work as well as a few others.
Super GT
DTM GT
Open GT (google it of you are unsure of it)
LMS (LMP1,2 GT1,2,3) as well as a few Asian GT or open wheeler classes.
Like you TCR, GT is where its at.

Are the people who are the movers and shakers aware of our thought's and idea's or are we just talking to our selves?
Old 8 Aug 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2266176)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
dreaming might be a better word
Old 9 Aug 2008, 06:25 (Ref:2266220)   #64
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B24
The ALMS option could work as well as a few others.
Super GT
DTM GT
Open GT (google it of you are unsure of it)
LMS (LMP1,2 GT1,2,3) as well as a few Asian GT or open wheeler classes.
Like you TCR, GT is where its at.
Would any of them really be anymore attractive to the QLD government than the Indycars already are?
Old 9 Aug 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2266292)   #65
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Would any of them really be anymore attractive to the QLD government than the Indycars already are?
From what I understand, Indycars made a decision not to come back to Aust.
So its not about the attraction of Indy to the QLD Govt, but alternatives if they really do not return.

Last edited by B24; 9 Aug 2008 at 11:03.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2266521)   #66
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of those categories, I'd be surprised if anything other than Super GT would be interested in the trip. Either A1GP or World GT under Stephan Ratel could attend. I get the impression that the meeting is more about international promotion, in which case only A1GP might attract sufficient TV coverage to fit the criteria.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2266793)   #67
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about the planned Japanese/Asian/Pacific Le Mans Series? Would be the right time of year as the ACO want to run the series in the late months to encourage ALMS/LMS teams to race.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2266921)   #68
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've read today that A1GP are saying that if IndyCar don't want the date they'd like it. Seems to depend on whether it can be shifted forward a few weeks in which case you'll probably get IndyCar or it can't so you'll get A1GP. Doesn't really matter what's going around anyway, everyone's looking at the balconies!
Old 10 Aug 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2266965)   #69
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR
I've got an idea. If the Indy Car deal falls through in '09 why doesn't the Australain GT ditch the Sandown Classic and run a 1000km endurance race at Surfers Paradise as their finale to the season. The timings pretty right and they could run on Saturday from say 3.00pm until about 7.30pm, finishing under lights. This would still give the V8s their 3 sprint races on Saturday morning and two on Sunday?

Now that would make for one spectacular event

Paul.
Because the Queensland Government have made it clear they are not going to fund a domestic only event. Spectacular? Maybe. Fantasy? Certainly.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2266972)   #70
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
What about the planned Japanese/Asian/Pacific Le Mans Series? Would be the right time of year as the ACO want to run the series in the late months to encourage ALMS/LMS teams to race.
ALMS has been burnt before by the vagaries of Australian state level politics after the SA government ditched for a blatant vote grab. Two attempts to run World Sportscars at Sandown ended in a bath of red ink that destroyed the LCCA. Even with all the love and enthusiasm poured on the Bathurst 24 Hour it was plainly financially unviable. Major Sports Cars has a history of failure.

How is the Bligh government in an election year going to treat a track record like that?
Old 12 Aug 2008, 02:00 (Ref:2267578)   #71
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Because the Queensland Government have made it clear they are not going to fund a domestic only event. Spectacular? Maybe. Fantasy? Certainly.
I realised this very shortly after I posted my original comments, hence my retraction in the very next post. However my comments regarding the possible inclusion of a 500km race as the finale to the domestic GT championship still seem feasible though.

It would be even better if we could get the new Asian Le Mans series back again but that may be a bit ambitious.

Paul.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2268920)   #72
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It will be interesting to see if campaigns like this affect crowd numbers.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=614597